AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Colton - People Change Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Colton - People Change

Reviewed by: justbradley (06/04/12)
Colton - People Change
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 8th, 2012

It’s June 4th as I write this, which means summer is upon us. That also means that a lot of summer releases are just around the corner as well. Colton’s new CD People Change is one of them. I had the privilege to listen to this CD before it comes out, but who is Colton? It is the alias of singer/pianist Colton Woodard, who hails from Florida. He recently recorded People Change over the past few months and is finally releasing it on June 8th. While Colton is the “solo” project of Woodard, he had a lot of his friends record guitars, bass, and drums.

I had no idea what People Change would sound like when I put it onto my iTunes, and I was pleasantly surprised. The album starts off with “Chance For Me,” a pop-rock jam about being the best you can be. It’s a very optimistic song, and sets the tone for the album. The next track “Love In Your Eyes” is another optimistic pop-rock song about a girl. Speaking of which, if you’re looking for lyrics about girls, you’ve come to the right place. There are also a lot of relatable lyrics on this record as well. After the electronically tinged “Head Games,” the next song “Jealous” is one of the few that’s a bit slower. The piano and drums are the driving forces behind the song and Woodard’s voice is smooth as he sings about someone who doesn’t want Woodard to succeed at all. One lyric in the chorus that stands out to me goes, “When anyone else shines, you’re just jealous of their glow.”

The next track “Set Your Ship Straight” is probably my favorite song on the album. If you can guess by the title, there’s a lot of nautical terminology in the song, which is clever. The chorus is also extremely catchy, and memorable. After a couple rather catchy, but unforgettable tracks, another highlight of the record appears. “Sleepless” is another example of the piano being the driving force of the song, and this is the song that demonstrates how well Woodard can sing. While he’s not the best vocalist I’ve ever heard, he still has a unique voice.

On every pop-rock record, there has to be an acoustic track or two, and the next track “Distance Doesn’t Matter” follows suit. It’s a very cutesy song about a couple that live far away from one another, and Woodard is trying to say that distance doesn’t matter if they care about each other enough. This one example of when the lyrics connect to me, because I can totally relate to the lyrics in this song. After another piano-driven song, the record spins to one my favorite tracks, second only to “Set Your Ship Straight,” which is called “Static Sleep.” It’s a bit slower, but it’s another cutesy song that I can’t help but love. Finally, the album closes with “Count Your Blessings,” and this song is about how Woodard is very thankful for everything he’s accomplished in his life so far. It’s a very nice way to close out an album.

Overall, People Change is a very enjoyable album for the summer time. It’s optimistic, fun, and it’ll please any fans of pop-rock. You can tell Colton put his heart and soul into this record. The sound is also very diverse as well. Some songs are rock-oriented, others are pop-oriented, and a few are piano driven. Either way, I’m very surprised Mr. Woodard isn’t more known yet.

Recommended If You LikePop-rock, summer, fun, Anarbor, The Maine, Fun., almost every other pop-rock band.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Chance for Me
2. Love In Your Eyes
3. Head Games
4. Jealous
5. Set Your Ship Straight
6. Here With You (Head Like a Brick)
7. The Girl Is Like Woah
8. Sleepless
9. Distance Doesn't Matter
10. Bleed On the Inside
11. Static Sleep
12. Counting All the Blessings

Colton is:
Vocals/Piano: Colton Woodard
Guitarists: Kevin Morse, Andrew Karpovck, and Colton Woodard
Drums: Chester Pigeon, Will Weatherly, Andrew Karpovk, and Colton Woodard.
Bass Guitar: Dalton Woodard.
Other Instrumentation: ABKA Studios.

www.facebook.com/TheBandColton

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
01:29 PM on 06/16/12
TheTideIsIn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did you listen to this album? This is rock bottom....
11:00 AM on 06/17/12
justbradley
User Info.
Did you listen to this album? This is rock bottom....
Yes, I listened to it, and I enjoyed it. It's a solid pop-rock/acoustic record. What's wrong with my opinion?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS