Password

Album Review

Senses Fail - Follow Your Bliss EP Album Cover

Senses Fail - Follow Your Bliss EP

Reviewed by
Senses FailFollow Your Bliss EP
Release Date: June 19, 2012
Record Label: Staple Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Much like their peers in Hawthorne Heights, Senses Fail may have surprised some people with how they've outlasted their post-hardcore/scene peers. And just like the Ohio quartet, the guys in Senses Fail are still unleashing some of their best work. And after facing some early career label drama and hype, the New Jersey quintet has released solid album after solid album, and they finally get to celebrate that fact with their best-of collective, the aptly titled Follow Your Bliss. But it wouldn't be a party without some new SF songs, and luckily we get a four song EP that's stuffed with everything you love about the band and more.

Opening track “War Paint” is classic Buddy Nielsen, as he seamlessly transitions from his brutal bellows into his melodic croon, a move he has perfected over the years. Backed by an onslaught of dueling guitars from Matt Smith and Zach Roach, Nielsen spills his guts over the song's escalating bridge/outro. “Vines” showcases the band's knack for catchy choruses, as it weaves through the aggressive guitar chords – needling its way into your cerebellum.

The urgency flowing through “Early Graves” showcases the band at its best, especially Nielsen, whom has really come into his own as a vocalist. He'll never be regarded as the best vocalist, but compared to Senses Fail's earlier releases (notably From The Depths of Dreams and Let It Enfold You), Nielsen has made huge strides. He's always in control and plays to his strengths; whether it's going from a pop-punk nasal into a gruff hardcore shout, it's what packs the punch in each song.

That passion is felt throughout the closing track “Waves,” as Smith and Roach's guitar work crashes upon your ears as Nielsen's vocals jab back and forth with the charging rhythm set by bassist Jason Black and drummer Dan Trapp. Nielsen's lyrics have never ringed more true for the band (“I would rather sink or sail in fear/than be anchored by the coast/wading in the water of the shallows./You can't catch wind when sails are closed.), and he closes out the EP shouting, “I'll never truly learn to love till I let go/until the waves do set me free,” over the final charge of the crushing instrumentation. It's classic Senses Fail and exactly what fans will be craving when they get their hands on this set. Still writing music like they have something to prove, Follow Your Bliss is the perfect capper to Senses Fail's first decade as they move into their next.

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 52
11:55 PM on 06/04/12
ScorchOurBodies
Dead Inside
User Info.
Soooooo excited for this to come in the mail!
12:26 AM on 06/05/12
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
fuck yea.
12:45 AM on 06/05/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
Want!
04:07 AM on 06/05/12
_veges_
User Info.
Great review, can't wait to hear the new songs
05:26 AM on 06/05/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The EP is cool but I don't think it's as much like the rest of the band's catalog as Drew says.
05:44 AM on 06/05/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
How are the two covers of The Dangerous Summer tracks?
05:54 AM on 06/05/12
Roadhouse.
User Info.
Senses Fail isn't from Long Island....
05:59 AM on 06/05/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Can't believe we're talking about decade #2 of Senses Fail. We're getting old, folks.
06:00 AM on 06/05/12
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
Need this now. Any new SF is good news. So happy to see Buddy still making music. And yes I strongly agree that each one of their releases gets better and better.
06:06 AM on 06/05/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Senses Fail isn't from Long Island....
right haha thanks for catching that. I put in Long Island as a placeholder while I was writing the review and was going to look up where they were from again in New Jersey and then forgot to change it. haha
07:44 AM on 06/05/12
dany182
God Of War xD
User Info.
Is it on purpose that the first song on this ep is named after first track from the dangerous summers 'War Paint' album, and the last song on this ep is named after the last song of the same dangerous summer album or is it a coincidence?
07:50 AM on 06/05/12
scott!athedisco
User Info.
Anyone know if the EP is going to be going up on Itunes?
08:04 AM on 06/05/12
rollerman4221
Woof!
User Info.
How are the two covers of The Dangerous Summer tracks?

lol
08:52 AM on 06/05/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Solid review/EP. These guys always deliver

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT