Password

Album Review

Damascus- Of Whom I Always Think EP Album Cover

Damascus- Of Whom I Always Think EP

Reviewed by
Damascus-Of Whom I Always Think EP
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: October 1, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Post-rock is, generally, awesome. Not just in a ‘whoa, dude, this awesome!’ way, but also in the eighteenth century ‘this inspires awe in my existence and has changed the manner in which I view life around me’ way. It’s a genre full of swirling guitars, heart-bursting crescendos and it shows music at its most beautiful, its most vulnerable. Every post-rock band serves a different purpose. Some work as a soundtrack to moments in life, others assist those who struggle with insomnia, many make the mundane epic, and others, well others make you jump around your bedroom, headbanging and playing air guitar on that bust up tennis racket that always comes in handy in your greatest ‘Jimi Hendrix’ moments. As you’ve probably guessed by its specificity, the young band you are currently reading about, Damascus, are one of these headbang worthy bands. Hailing from South River, New Jersey, Damascus are a baby of the scene, kicking and screaming since 2011. In their relatively short life, the band, consisting of Brendan Bianowicz (drums), George Eppinger (guitar), Gil Morejón (guitar) and Edwin Rivera (bass), have released one full length and one EP. The three track EP Of Whom I Always Think is what I am here to review today. Verdict? It’s very good.

Obviously, three tracks, isn’t a wide enough window to cast full judgement upon the band’s career, but it is an indicator of great things to come. Across the EP, Damascus combine elegance and vulnerability with full-rock out moments, to ensure that not once the record gets boring. Perfect for contemplation, but also suitable for what one imagines would be a raucous live show, Damascus provide music that is accessible enough for them to cross over the upper heights of the post-metal scene. Closer, ‘Interference’ is the strongest track off the EP, showcasing Damascus’ hybrid at its strongest. The only criticism would be that production does not provide the EP with the epicness that it deserves. This EP should be big and powerful but the production prevents it from soaring. However, this is a problem that should be ironed out as the band grow more experienced. For the most part, with their technical ability, and their ‘awesome’ songs, Damascus deserve your attention.

Recommended If You LikeIsis, And So I Watch You From Afar, Pelican, taking time out from being br00tal for some contemplation

http://www.facebook.com/damascusnj
http://damascusnj.bandcamp.com/

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
01:13 PM on 06/11/12
bothra
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not like Isis at all, really - not droning or metal. Maybe a bit ASIWYFA and the occasional Pelican song, but luckily Damascus has a drummer that actually does his job. This EP is a marked improvement in production quality, but if you ignore the full album Salutations, Distant Satellite! - you are doing them a disservice.

Yet another example of AP doing what it does worst: attempting to review post-rock music and failing miserably.
01:42 PM on 06/13/12
Kelly Doherty
@DylanintheMovie
User Info.
Not like Isis at all, really - not droning or metal. Maybe a bit ASIWYFA and the occasional Pelican song, but luckily Damascus has a drummer that actually does his job. This EP is a marked improvement in production quality, but if you ignore the full album Salutations, Distant Satellite! - you are doing them a disservice.

Yet another example of AP doing what it does worst: attempting to review post-rock music and failing miserably.
My friend, the definition of a review is that I am reviewing one particular release. I haven't lured you into reading this review under the pretense that I am secretly reviewing Salutations, Distant Satellite!. I am here to review this band based on what I hear from this EP. The production, whether it is or is not an improvement from previous efforts, still needs work.

And seriously, I gave it 83%, calm down.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos