Username
Password

08:19 PM on 06/05/12 
User Info.
acousticore
good girls they like to sin
Minnesota
Male - 24 Years Old
so i know that most recording studios schedule out time by hours and whatnot, and that all studios have different prices.

just wondering if anyone can give me an average price/rate? i'm looking to record a 3 or 4 song ep. it's just me, solo acoustic project.
09:26 AM on 06/06/12 
User Info.
davidplaysdrums
Roanoke, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
$50-60 is average. And if your paying that you should be in a top quality studio, with Pro Tools HD, quality conversion, good mics, preamp's, etc. If your confident, buy an Apogee Duet and a decent mic (an Audio Technica 4050 sounds good on acoustic guitar and vocals, and record it yourself, then pay someone to mix and master it!
07:56 AM on 06/09/12 
User Info.
SwertsOnALog
Jump Jump
Ohio
Male - 26 Years Old
Whoever said 50-60 is way off. A real average is around 150 a song. In past bands, we've done 500 a day before for a good studio/producer.
11:05 AM on 06/10/12 
User Info.
bonlucas
The Studio at the School my radio station is at, they're like $45 an hour.
04:10 PM on 06/10/12 
User Info.
SwertsOnALog
Jump Jump
Ohio
Male - 26 Years Old
The Studio at the School my radio station is at, they're like $45 an hour.

I've come acrossed a few school studios that are around 50 just because the people are teaching/learning while doing everything for your band. My roommate started recording bands at only 25 a song while he was starting out.
01:39 PM on 06/11/12 
User Info.
davidplaysdrums
Roanoke, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
There's a difference between a studio, and a guy who can record. The latter being responsible for most of the drumagogged crap everyone is putting out. As I said $50-60 an hour should get in a pro studio, with an credible engineer, mixing on a real console (if you want it), and access to quality gear. Musicians settling for an inferior product at a lower price are why some of the best studio's responsible for great records are going out of business left and right.
06:26 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
seanierawks
No Avatar Selected
Dublin, Ireland.
Male
You get what you pay for really, not sure if its the same elsewhere, but my band recorded our first EP in a studio that was €250 a day and did 4 songs over 2 days, the results weren't awful, but far from what we were hoping for and we had to send the lead single to be mixed elsewhere costing us an additional €400 for the one track.

For our next single we went to a studio known for being one of the best for our genre in the country and that was €500 per song, we only did the one track there though. The quality of that one track is completely worth the extra cost, so don't be afraid to spend what your budget allows if you know you'll get a better quality recording!
04:33 PM on 06/30/12 
User Info.
O'brotherfan47
http://tylerdanelemons.bandcamp. com
North Carolina
Male - 20 Years Old
I just recorded at a great studio, where James Taylor & Doc Watson both recorded. It was only $350 for 8 hours, which I thought was very reasonable.
01:32 PM on 07/01/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
$45 an hour for me. it was a pretty standard mixing job, totally professional for the most part given that i emphasized wanting a really natural and unpolished sound, but didn't place the amount of emphasis i would have wanted on background guitar parts, nor did it capture my vocals as well as i was able to do at home. i feel like even paying that price you still miss out on the ability to tailor the process to your music and preferences if you dont sign up with the right person. plus mastering is still needed on that album, it comes across with way too much treble on a lot of speakers.
07:55 AM on 07/21/12 
User Info.
mitchar19
Ga
Male
Yeah, it all just depends on the the engineers experience and equipment. For a professional I would say anywhere around 40 - 60 a hour is reasonable.
09:55 AM on 07/26/12 
User Info.
reed63
Northvale
Male - 18 Years Old
I'm 16 and I've worked with a ton of people and done a ton of studio work (not sounding cocky) and I always look for more work... BUT a good studio like a REAL studio for example Henson in LA Skyline in NYC Quad in NYC will coast a few 100 IF youre lucky and you know the owner... Not a in house High School student's parents house that coasts $50 or something.... thats $50 dollars wasted...
09:55 AM on 07/26/12 
User Info.
reed63
Northvale
Male - 18 Years Old
When I worked with Eddie Kramer... That coasted one pretty shiny penny.... haha
10:18 PM on 08/13/12 
User Info.
coughlinpansy
new york
Male - 25 Years Old
We're paying an architect to design the building and we have to pay the city a permit fee to review and approve the design.
check here
09:33 PM on 08/21/12 
User Info.
The_Effort
Las Vegas
Male - 22 Years Old
I've got a buddy who's band went to Paul Miner in California and it cost his band about $1500 to stay at his studio for a 3-day weekend and record 4 songs. Mind you this is a legitimate producer who will help throw some song writing ideas out and try to give you the best results possible. You get what you pay for, and with guys like that who will legitimately care about the product, it seems to be worth it.
12:50 PM on 08/30/12 
User Info.
Winter4Ever
San Francisco, CA
Male - 20 Years Old
a good studio is like 300 a day

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles