Username
Password
Thrice News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Thrice
Inside AP.net

Dustin Kensrue of Thrice Opens Up

Posted by: Jason Tate (06/06/12)
Dustin Kensrue of Thrice, discusses the hiatus, band dynamics, faith, and having Invisible Children out on tour with them.
From the InterviewI think the initial reaction when I talk about it has been a different feel because people do have those questions, theyíve heard this or that. So I try every night just to address that weíre not unaware of these things that are going around and we wouldnít have them out with us if we didnít have confidence that they were totally on the level. I mean, there was just some unfortunately timing with some stuff, and anytime anyone or anything gets elevated to such a high profile thereís just intense scrutiny and also a lot of ill will mostly because if somethingís high profile you can raise your profile by attacking it. So I think just a lot of thatís been very uncharitable, very short sighted. They have a very different model for how they run their organization than a lot of non-profits but itís for a reason and I think itís worked very well. When a lot of people look into that stuff they are failing to appreciate that it is a different model, it doesnít mean that itís screwed up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43.
02:31 PM on 06/06/12
lilRIPsta
User Info.
My favorite band, my vocalist. Gonna miss them so much. I really love how Dustin loves C.S. Lewis as much as I do
02:33 PM on 06/06/12
lilRIPsta
User Info.
I wish Dustin had a Goodreads account so I could see the books he's into
02:56 PM on 06/06/12
june182
User Info.
My favorite band, my vocalist. Gonna miss them so much. I really love how Dustin loves C.S. Lewis as much as I do

Agree with everything you said.
03:59 PM on 06/06/12
TheZeroKid
I'm Not Holden Caulfield
User Info.
Great interview.
04:00 PM on 06/06/12
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
good interview, love this man
04:44 PM on 06/06/12
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
I really liked how he talked to the crowd about Invisible Children at their show in Detroit. Good to see them sticking by the group through all of this.
05:00 PM on 06/06/12
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.
I love, respect, relate with, and have a man crush on this man SO much. I just want to sit down and chat theology with him for a few hours.
05:21 PM on 06/06/12
misanthropist
Practice makes Practice
User Info.
Love the band, hate his belief system. That said, they're still my favourite band ever.
05:27 PM on 06/06/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
why do i have a feeling they won't be gone very long?
07:30 PM on 06/06/12
lilRIPsta
User Info.
Love the band, hate his belief system. That said, they're still my favourite band ever.
Yea, his character has always been in question...
07:32 PM on 06/06/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Someone really needs to ask this guy why he associates with that cult known as Mars Hill. From the interview he seems to get that religion is far more about personal experience than cramming your views down other peoples throats, so why does he work with a "church" that enforces homophobic, sexist, exclusionary doctrines? Is the OC branch less crazy that the Seattle ones? Is he just not aware of stuff like this: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/M...40996563.html? Someone who interviews him needs to man up and ask the hard hitting questions because beyond that he seems like a great person and I'd love to hear some sort of explanation out of him.
08:37 PM on 06/06/12
peewhai
User Info.
I've always been a fan of Thrice, but to be honest; I really feel terrible for the two Breckenbros. It really breaks my heart when one member of a band (the leader, most of the times) decides to pull the plug for personal (good, of course) reasons. Being in a band requires a lot of sacrifices, and I feel like Riley and Ed have been putting their family lives on hold for a long time for the benefit of the band, and it just doesn't sit well with me that their main and only source of income would get shut down because someone else in the band hasn't been doing the same. What are they supposed to do now, go back to school and/or work at a call center?

This being said, I wish the best to everyone in the band, and I truly wish to see them live again some day.
09:02 PM on 06/06/12
albertad
User Info.
Someone really needs to ask this guy why he associates with that cult known as Mars Hill. From the interview he seems to get that religion is far more about personal experience than cramming your views down other peoples throats, so why does he work with a "church" that enforces homophobic, sexist, exclusionary doctrines? Is the OC branch less crazy that the Seattle ones? Is he just not aware of stuff like this: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/M...40996563.html? Someone who interviews him needs to man up and ask the hard hitting questions because beyond that he seems like a great person and I'd love to hear some sort of explanation out of him.

this is a very interesting matter. I've never heard of this or any similar practices, however, I must say true Christians & believers do not partake in such actions. That said, I hope Dustin does not practice such treatments.
09:32 PM on 06/06/12
Greg
User Info.

Is that supposed to be a credible source? There is much left unsaid. It honestly says very little. No real facts. Driscoll has spoken of certain events more in depth than this "article".
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests