AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Consequential Apathy: Document#

Posted by - 11:14 AM on 06/07/12
This past weekend I attended Austin's Chaos in Tejas festival for the second time. I was excited about the reunion set from Moss Icon, as well as sets from Thou, Ted Leo and the Pharmacist and Pygmylush, but I also got to see a ton of bands on a whim. It got me thinking about genre classifications, especially in the community of punk rock. Simply put, do you see punk as more of an idea or more of sound? Do you ever find yourself seeing the influence of punk in bands that wouldn't be classified as such? You can read my thoughts here and hit the replies for an afternoon talk.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
11:19 AM on 06/07/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Dude....tell me you saw Mind Spiders.
11:20 AM on 06/07/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Dude....tell me you saw Mind Spiders.
i wish! they were the same night as Thou, Ceremony, Ice Age, Moss Icon and Pygmylush.
11:26 AM on 06/07/12
Oskarr
I've Got Time To Kill
User Info.
I always felt that punk was being yourself without having to apologize for it. Less a sound, more of an attitude I think. Music that's considered punk is just born out of that attitude.
11:35 AM on 06/07/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
I always felt that punk was being yourself without having to apologize for it. Less a sound, more of an attitude I think. Music that's considered punk is just born out of that attitude.
/thread
11:40 AM on 06/07/12
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
i always included any band/artist that played jerrys pizza to be punk.
11:51 AM on 06/07/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
i wish! they were the same night as Thou, Ceremony, Ice Age, Moss Icon and Pygmylush.

Oh man. Definitely one of my favorite bands right now.
11:57 AM on 06/07/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Oh man. Definitely one of my favorite bands right now.
you and JADEDPUNKHULK. hahaha. but yeah, a bit bummed.
12:59 PM on 06/07/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Punk rock has always been highly influential. There are a lot of bands and artists that, while you don't consider them being strictly punk rock because of the musical genre they play, they cite as personal influences punk rock outfits. Just because "punk" is not just a mere genre, an iTunes classification, but it's a way of living, an attitude toward life, a cultural movement; it trascends the concept itself of categorization. The Clash, the greatest punk rock band that ever trod a stage on this world, according to who's writing this short paragraph, not only defined the "classic" punk rock sound (along with, of course, some other big guns), but paved the way for at least two or three other musical genres. How much music of the subsequent decades you can hear in masterpieces such as Sandinista or London Calling? I think we can expand this discussion to a plenty other punk rock outfits.

Also, I don't know how many of you will perhaps agree with me (but I guess that you'll be several), but for example I consider a singer/songwriter like Frank Turner to be truly "punk". The energy, the passion, the urgency, his heartfelt lyrics, his honest and passionate music: this is "punk" for me, even if there aren't any four chords progression or screamed gang vocals.

I hope I've been clear enough.
01:28 PM on 06/07/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Punk rock has always been highly influential. There are a lot of bands and artists that, while you don't consider them being strictly punk rock because of the musical genre they play, they cite as personal influences punk rock outfits. Just because "punk" is not just a mere genre, an iTunes classification, but it's a way of living, an attitude toward life, a cultural movement; it trascends the concept itself of categorization. The Clash, the greatest punk rock band that ever trod a stage on this world, according to who's writing this short paragraph, not only defined the "classic" punk rock sound (along with, of course, some other big guns), but paved the way for at least two or three other musical genres. How much music of the subsequent decades you can hear in masterpieces such as Sandinista or London Calling? I think we can expand this discussion to a plenty other punk rock outfits.

Also, I don't know how many of you will perhaps agree with me (but I guess that you'll be several), but for example I consider a singer/songwriter like Frank Turner to be truly "punk". The energy, the passion, the urgency, his heartfelt lyrics, his honest and passionate music: this is "punk" for me, even if there aren't any four chords progression or screamed gang vocals.

I hope I've been clear enough.
ummm, if you don't think Frank Turner is punk as fuck...I mean, I can't even...
02:12 PM on 06/07/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
for me, punk as a genre is usually fast with rough vocals, simple-ish riffs and generally lower sound quality. i typically don't like that so much. punk as an idea, on the other hand, transcends genre lines and means doing what you want for the sake of wanting to do it, particularly when it goes against what is expected of you from others. i love this, a lot. an example i'd give of punk as an idea is patrick stump's solo album. not what was expected of or desired from him at all for most, but he wrote the record exactly how he wanted to. soul punk as fuck.
02:24 PM on 06/07/12
karadotcollett
altmusiclife.tumblr.com
User Info.
Punk is an idea to me. The community at an AJJ show, that's punk to me. It's awesome.
02:36 PM on 06/07/12
newspaperbcf
User Info.
02:58 PM on 06/07/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
10/10 would quote comment again.
04:39 PM on 06/07/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.