Username
Password
Against Me! News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Against Me!
Inside AP.net

Against Me! and Joan Jett Cover The Replacements

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (06/10/12)
Joan Jett joined Against Me! on stage to cover The Replacements' "Androgynous." A video of the cover is in the replies.

Submitted by Smash Adams

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48.
08:08 PM on 06/10/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
08:11 PM on 06/10/12
TheOtherAndrew
Fuck Armageddon, This is HFIL
User Info.
I had no idea how tall Laura was until I saw a picture of her standing next to Joan Jett. G'damn.
08:15 PM on 06/10/12
tmathews
User Info.
awesome
08:17 PM on 06/10/12
domotime2
User Info.
its weird...like she doesn't look all that different honestly, and if that makes her happy it's just such a non-deal.

but she showed up at an against me show? that's pretty cool...this sounds tight, great song
08:23 PM on 06/10/12
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
That was fucking great, love it.
08:28 PM on 06/10/12
TheRealJohnOC
I've seen 701 bands/artists live
User Info.
I attended that show at Terminal 5 and the place went nuts. Before the show, Laura and the boys kept hyping up this show for some reason. I've seen them play NYC at least 5 times so I thought nothing of it. Then Laura blurts out onstage that she's a transsexual and that she'd like to bring out Joan Jett. THAT was fucking awesome!
09:11 PM on 06/10/12
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So great.
09:24 PM on 06/10/12
plns
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is one of those things where I just think, "How the hell did that friendship come to be?" Similar to Brett Favre and Lil Wayne being good friends.
09:37 PM on 06/10/12
spansen
and then what happens?
User Info.
This is one of those things where I just think, "How the hell did that friendship come to be?" Similar to Brett Favre and Lil Wayne being good friends.
What? Really?
09:42 PM on 06/10/12
SoundwaveUproar
Registered Member
User Info.
Could of easily happened the year Jett played Warped, idk if Against Me! were there, but it's a possibility
09:58 PM on 06/10/12
Mariosux!
Planet About To Be Recycled
User Info.
When did Frankenfurter join Against Me?

Also good cover
10:46 PM on 06/10/12
imposs1ble
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm starting to worry about the future of against me! Like I get it, its a big deal and whatnot, but its starting to feel like this is all that the band is going to be about anymore. These people have too much to say to just harp on the same thing over and over.
11:17 PM on 06/10/12
drewbaldy
drewbaldy
User Info.
Who cares? Shitty band is shitty.
12:30 AM on 06/11/12
lesterCorp.
User Info.
I'm starting to worry about the future of against me! Like I get it, its a big deal and whatnot, but its starting to feel like this is all that the band is going to be about anymore. These people have too much to say to just harp on the same thing over and over.
A valid point.
This whole news story is a very intriguing one as it brings up a lot of interesting topics. Firstly I find there is a lot of positive discrimination in terms of people saying 'well done' 'way to go girl' 'she's awesome' because they feel they should in the liberal/left wing society most of us live in. Of course this is much better than the antithesis of this but it all feels forced when actually this should be a non-story if we are to be truly accepting. But honestly, it's a very tricky subject to broach.
The thing I also feel is that (not being a fan I can't relate) it will completely change the music and live show experience regardless of your opinion on the transgender matter. If say the lead singer of mew (one of my favourite bands) decided to start being a woman and expressing themselves as a female, i'd find that very difficult as it's not the band/songwriter I've come to love, no matter how long they may have harboured these thoughts and feelings. But then again, progression is part and parcel of decent bands so sometimes you have to grin and bear it. I'd far rather Ben gibbard had turned his dick inside out than release half the shit he did after transatlanticism.

The family thing is also a very sensitive subject as I find it very hard to believe his wife and child shall come out of this completely unscathed. I mean I truly believe his wife is completely devoted to him but that's just it she fell in love with HIM. I believe love is more than skin-deep but the girl is still straight and let's be honest, sexual attraction is still very important in a loving relationship. I find it very hard to believe that she will suddenly accept him as a woman and that attraction she had for him as a man will still be there. It's a tough thing to be suddenly forced into a kind of lesbianism and I say that she's forced because she is as I'm sure she still loves his mind and has a child with him so probably feels she owes it to the child also.
Which brings me to the child. What an earth will that be like? When so young, learning about the world they're brought up in will be very confusing. There will be pictures of mummy and daddy in earlier life, only for daddy to be their mummy also. How do you make them understand? Do you keep them in the dark and pretend mummy 2 was never a man? Or do you try and explain it and baffle them from an early age?

I do think it's right that we as humans do what makes us happy and seek out that happiness but, for me, I don't think it should be done at any cost. I fear the price to pay for what he is doing may be too high. The people he loves who surround him will ultimately be extremely affected and I think it was slightly selfish to raise a family under false pretences only to completely turn everything on it's head.

Anyway that's just one sub-par man's thought and not written with malice or prejudice. Purely speculation and interest in a very fascinating case that must be discussed in our modern age.

I'll shut my drunken face up now and have some sleep.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests