Password

Album Review

Stickup Kid - Nothing About Me Album Cover

Stickup Kid - Nothing About Me

Reviewed by
Stickup Kid - Nothing About Me
Release Date: June 5, 2012
Record Label: Adeline Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Stickup Kid’s Nothing About Me EP is very short, but it shouldn’t be any other way. The five songs only amount to 13 minutes of hardcore-tinged pop-punk, with an onslaught of relentless energy throughout. The aggressiveness of Nothing About Me feels real and passionate, courtesy of not just vocalist Tony Geravesh’s throaty yell, but also the band’s Lifetime-ish musicianship.

Drummer Cameron MacBain is the main culprit behind Stickup Kid’s consistently solid sound, as he shows strongly on EP highlight “Lighthouse.” The first two minutes of that track are what Stickup Kid is all about – a punk drum beat and corkscrewing guitars – but the latter half shows the band’s versatility. Suddenly the guitars turn light and airy, and the track builds up into woah-ing gang vocals. Stickup Kid is doing the Title Fight sound better than Title Fight does it.

“You Are Captain Hook” and “The Weather Outside Is Weather” are the other choice songs, as “Dreaming of Kenny Rogers” and “Breathing” are just too short. I’m all for an occasional sub-two-minute endeavor, but the writing on those tracks doesn’t feel developed enough – “Breathing” in particular feels like it could have been a home run if it kept going a bit longer. Geravesh’s vocals are raw, but have a natural bratty tone to them that will draw comparisons to a younger Billie Joe Armstrong.

Much like Second To Last, another young California-based pop-punk band, Stickup Kid is making a sizeable impact with a rougher version of the genre than what usually claims notability these days. Nothing About Me is a great introduction to this group, even if the lyricism is amateur, and when its songwriting develops a bit more, Stickup Kid should be a band you keep your eye on.

6.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
09:32 PM on 06/10/12
blissfulrain
I want to dream.
User Info.
Thought this EP was way better than their debut. Really enjoying it.
07:38 AM on 06/11/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
They're not reinventing the wheel, but they're a very good band.
06:19 PM on 06/11/12
dicktony
Plots//Latecomer//etc.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Stickup Kid is doing the Title Fight sound better than Title Fight does it."

I dig this, but no no no no no no no.
06:00 AM on 06/12/12
adamxdasilva
User Info.
Drummer Cameron MacBain is the main culprit behind Stickup Kid’s consistently solid sound, as he shows strongly on EP highlight “Lifehouse.”

It's Lighthouse, hahaha.
08:38 AM on 06/12/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
It's Lighthouse, hahaha.
oops. thanks haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music