AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Matt Singer - The Build Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Matt Singer - The Build

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (06/11/12)
Matt Singer- The Build
Record Label: Family Records
Release Date: June 5, 2012

"Our love is a VCR, cold and black and obsolete, if the past is where we are, then the past is where I wanna be."

Matt Singer finds creativity in the wildest of ways. Last month, the singer/songwriter teamed up with puppeteer Eric Wright to perform a puppetry musical about the human experience of food politics. And while there have been stranger ways to pursue a music career, a puppetry musical about food politics is not a bad place to start.

But that love of puppetry is a perfect introduction to the whimsical folk-pop of the New Jersey native. Vacillating between a low baritone and an impassioned upper register, Singer roots himself in his verses. The jocular "VHS," relates a former flame to the antiquated video tape and boasts a reedy and relatable chorus. The mid-tempo "Perfect Lawns," is subdued, cerebral and a gorgeous summer porch song.

The accordion-laced "Much Too Much," moves along like a sea chanty but uses a chamber-pop arrangement to swerve and duck in the most jubilant of ways. If ever there was a first single on this album, this hip-swerving, toe-tapping romp seems almost perfect. The vernal and urgent "Conversation," is an amiable valentine to a new love that's refreshing, honest and memorable. The violin-laden "All This Joy," begins tender and forlorn before segueing into a jittery, frenetic romp that is saturnine, stirring and sweetly melodic. Singer sounds his best however on the placid "Or Whenever," an apologetic and starkly honest confessional about mistakes, maturity and the plight of manhood. If every album has an apex moment, then "Or Whenever," is most certainly that.

The true charm in Singer's music is that in a singer-songwriter crop dominated by wannabes and fakes, the Garden State export is not afraid to be who he is: quirky, comedic, direct, original. Singer is all that and then some. The Build is proof of that.

Recommended If You Like Wakey Wakey, Casey Shea, Pearl and the Beard, Paul Simon, Barenaked Ladies

Find Him Here http://mattsingermusic.tumblr.com/

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
05:55 PM on 06/13/12
plasticflavored
User Info.
I really didn't like this album at all. It might be because his voice is something that really doesn't draw me it but I thought it dragged a lot.
09:22 AM on 06/14/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I really didn't like this album at all. It might be because his voice is something that really doesn't draw me it but I thought it dragged a lot.
It definitely drags in places, mostly towards the end. But I still think he writes some amazing choruses and he has a quirkiness and an originality that's intriguing. I don't think this is the last we'll hear of him. I think he'll make a dent in due time.
11:17 AM on 06/14/12
plasticflavored
User Info.
It definitely drags in places, mostly towards the end. But I still think he writes some amazing choruses and he has a quirkiness and an originality that's intriguing. I don't think this is the last we'll hear of him. I think he'll make a dent in due time.
Agreed.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums