Portland, Oregon
Male
i miss listening to these guys.
07:42 AM on 10/20/12 
User Info.
chrispoythress
Raleigh, NC
Male
Made a playlist on Spotify of some old Nitro Records albums, love when the AFI Nitro albums come on. Brings back great memories.
10:39 AM on 03/10/13 
User Info.
The Raine
on this sinking night
Los Angeles, CA
Male - 21 Years Old
Sing the Sorrow turns 10 tomorrow. Wow.
10:40 AM on 03/10/13 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
One of the bands I really wish were doing a 10 year tour.
10:41 AM on 03/10/13 
User Info.
colderchord
Saw Davey on TMZ recently. So weird, haha, but maybe not so weird at this point.
09:27 AM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
One of the bands I really wish were doing a 10 year tour.

This. Though, even cooler would be a two-night stand in each city wherein they played one night of pre-Sing the Sorrow material, and another consisting of Sing the Sorrow and onward.
10:08 AM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
drtomoe123
Ewing, VA
Male - 24 Years Old
This. Though, even cooler would be a two-night stand in each city wherein they played one night of pre-Sing the Sorrow material, and another consisting of Sing the Sorrow and onward.

I'd be so happy for something like this. On the last headlining tour they did, I was so happy that they were at least playing two old songs a night. I'd kill to see deep cuts from Black Sails and AOD again.
10:16 AM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
SwiftSilentDead
________
Their setlists got really random on some of the Crash Love shows. They were throwing in songs like Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, Key Lime Pie and Brownie Bottom Sundae into their sets on some shows, which was awesome but kind of out of nowhere.
12:19 PM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
HogarthHughes
Paint the Streets in White
Male - 23 Years Old
I would love to see a Sing the Sorrow tour. That album was very important to my musical development. It's still my favorite of theirs to this day.
02:19 PM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
MedicineFrmRain
With Aching Looks & Breaking Hearts
Upstate New York
Female - 27 Years Old
I would love to see a Sing the Sorrow tour. That album was very important to my musical development. It's still my favorite of theirs to this day.

Agreed. I really love that album. it blew my 16 year old mind, and I still love it just as much as I did first listen. Its been hard to top, but I still very much like their other 2 albums that came after it.
02:29 PM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
MedicineFrmRain
Upstate New York
Female - 27 Years Old

Ehh idk, I would say splitting it up by Black sails forward, Their sound is pretty consistant from black sails through sing the sorrow. Decemeber Underground and Crash Love have a different type of sound, but I think it is unfair to clump sing the sorrow in with them.

If I had it my way it would be:
Night 1 - Answer that, very prou, shut your mouth
Night 2 - All Hallows, A Fire Inside EP, Black Sails, AOD, STS
Night 3 -December Underground, Crash Love

They have a very distinct sound once Jade joined the band that is IMO far superior to anything before him, and post STS they are getting a bit more theatrical I guess is the best word i can think of to describe it. However I would take anyting with jade over anything without him. Enough rambling im sure you get it :D
04:51 PM on 03/12/13 
User Info.
drtomoe123
Ewing, VA
Male - 24 Years Old
Their setlists got really random on some of the Crash Love shows. They were throwing in songs like Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, Key Lime Pie and Brownie Bottom Sundae into their sets on some shows, which was awesome but kind of out of nowhere.

Yeah, one night you'd get Wester and the next you'd get Perfect Fit. I know which one I'd prefer.
06:59 AM on 03/13/13 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
Ehh idk, I would say splitting it up by Black sails forward, Their sound is pretty consistant from black sails through sing the sorrow. Decemeber Underground and Crash Love have a different type of sound, but I think it is unfair to clump sing the sorrow in with them.

If I had it my way it would be:
Night 1 - Answer that, very prou, shut your mouth
Night 2 - All Hallows, A Fire Inside EP, Black Sails, AOD, STS
Night 3 -December Underground, Crash Love

They have a very distinct sound once Jade joined the band that is IMO far superior to anything before him, and post STS they are getting a bit more theatrical I guess is the best word i can think of to describe it. However I would take anyting with jade over anything without him. Enough rambling im sure you get it :D

Sing the Sorrow definitely has a poppier vibe to it that shows very, very clear signs as to what was to come on the next two albums. More electronic flourishes, simpler songs, etc. Less "punk rock." Mind you, I'm a fan of just about everything the band has done so that's not a criticism, haha.

I just think the jump in terms of style (to something more polished, more "rock-based") was really obvious with Sing the Sorrow. I mean, it wasn't surprising given some of what you saw on the two releases prior to it but, y'know...It was a major label record, and it shows.
08:45 AM on 03/13/13 
User Info.
MedicineFrmRain
Upstate New York
Female - 27 Years Old
Sing the Sorrow definitely has a poppier vibe to it that shows very, very clear signs as to what was to come on the next two albums. More electronic flourishes, simpler songs, etc. Less "punk rock." Mind you, I'm a fan of just about everything the band has done so that's not a criticism, haha.

I just think the jump in terms of style (to something more polished, more "rock-based") was really obvious with Sing the Sorrow. I mean, it wasn't surprising given some of what you saw on the two releases prior to it but, y'know...It was a major label record, and it shows.

There has been an evolution in their music since they released Shut your mouth and open your eyes, It has a darker deeper feel than the to previouis albums. The AFI ep has the cover of The Hanging Garden which really starts to show hints of what we got in AOD. All Hallows EP was the tipping point where they started mixing their Hardcore with their new style with songs like Boy who destroyed the world and TotalImmortal. They still had a heavy"punkier" feeling with vivid imagery, and Davy started doing some more singing than screaming (Esp. in the slower parts of BWDTW). Black Sails was another step in the "new sounds" directio. Jade's guitar parts really started shining through, We got the amazing opening song, where davy shows off his vocals. An album where the lyrics call to you in a way the earlier music couldnt. Then to top it all off they end the Album with God Called In Sick Today which was a teaser for The next album IMO. The Art Of Drowning (my fav AFI album) Started to show where the band was headed with songs like Ever and A Day, Wester, and Morningstar. I feel like any one of those songs could have easily fit into STS. When STS was released I wasnt surprised a single bit with the sound, yes it was more "polished" than the earlier albums, but with the bits of evolution that had been going on for the last 5 releases IDK how people didnt see it coming, however when listening to their discography I feel that clumping it together with black sails and art of drowning is more fair that clumping it together with Dec. and crash love. I do LOVE Decemeber Underground and Crash Love, and I am not surprised one bit by the sound they have. Knowing that they were influenced by bands like The Cure, Joy Division, and David Bowie I think that their sound from AOD on "makes more sense"

Ik this is a long response, as you can see I am very much a fan of all of their music and feel like i know it pretty well. I honestly could talk about it forever.
08:52 AM on 03/13/13 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
There has been an evolution in their music since they released Shut your mouth and open your eyes, It has a darker deeper feel than the to previouis albums. The AFI ep has the cover of The Hanging Garden which really starts to show hints of what we got in AOD. All Hallows EP was the tipping point where they started mixing their Hardcore with their new style with songs like Boy who destroyed the world and TotalImmortal. They still had a heavy"punkier" feeling with vivid imagery, and Davy started doing some more singing than screaming (Esp. in the slower parts of BWDTW). Black Sails was another step in the "new sounds" directio. Jade's guitar parts really started shining through, We got the amazing opening song, where davy shows off his vocals. An album where the lyrics call to you in a way the earlier music couldnt. Then to top it all off they end the Album with God Called In Sick Today which was a teaser for The next album IMO. The Art Of Drowning (my fav AFI album) Started to show where the band was headed with songs like Ever and A Day, Wester, and Morningstar. I feel like any one of those songs could have easily fit into STS. When STS was released I wasnt surprised a single bit with the sound, yes it was more "polished" than the earlier albums, but with the bits of evolution that had been going on for the last 5 releases IDK how people didnt see it coming, however when listening to their discography I feel that clumping it together with black sails and art of drowning is more fair that clumping it together with Dec. and crash love. I do LOVE Decemeber Underground and Crash Love, and I am not surprised one bit by the sound they have. Knowing that they were influenced by bands like The Cure, Joy Division, and David Bowe I think that their sound from AOD on "makes more sense"

Ik this is a long response, as you can see I am very much a fan of all of their music and feel like i know it pretty well. I honestly could talk about it forever.

Man, you're preaching to the choir. Haha. Nothing the band has released has shocked me over the years. Black Sails is the record that started to show a clearer--more obvious--shift in direction than any record before it, no doubt. When the Internet rumor about them 'breaking up' hit last year, I spent the day listening to their discography from start to finish and wound up taking notes during certain songs to see the "evolutionary" hints. It was pretty fun. And most of the ones you cited specifically on Art of Drowning came up for me!

I really do feel, though, that Sing the Sorrow is clearly a more "pop" or straight-up "rock" record than the two before that. Even if you listen live, without the benefit of studio production, none of those songs would have fit on any of the albums beforehand. Yes, there were hints at past works but I wouldn't call anything on that album a "punk" or "hardcore" song, y'know? I guess that's what I'm getting at more than anything.

It's almost like they flipped from being a hardcore/punk band influenced by these things to being a rock/pop/goth/whatever band with hardcore/punk influences. I guess that's what I'm saying.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos