AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Temper Trap, The - The Temper Trap Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5
Musicianship 5
Lyrics 5
Production 5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 50%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4
Musicianship 4.13
Lyrics 4
Production 4.38
Creativity 3.13
Lasting Value 4.25
Reviewer Tilt 4.13
Average: 40%
Inside AP.net

Temper Trap, The - The Temper Trap

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (06/11/12)
The Temper Trap - The Temper Trap
Release Date: June 5, 2012 (US)
Record Label: Glassnote Records

A new album from The Temper Trap is interesting for a few reasons, I guess. The group struck commercial gold with 2009’s Conditions, creating a record that had a massive single but still enough indie flavor to resonate with all types of music fans. Then they pretty much disappeared for three years until the release of this self-titled album. Nothing gives away a band’s desire to “change” or “reinvent itself” more than releasing a self-titled record. I’m not sure how The Temper Trap wanted to change, but I wouldn’t say it was a move for the better.

(500) Days of Summer was to “Sweet Disposition” what Garden State was to The Shins’ “New Slang.” The films took songs that were, um, good…and turned them into obsessively adored pieces of heart-strung memory. Using the cliché of movies, I would say that Summer transformed “Sweet Disposition” from a song one might listen to whilst walking on the streets of a rainy city into a song that one might insert as the audio backdrop to a cheaply produced slideshow of black-and-white photos at a wedding or something. The point is, as well as the song performed for The Temper Trap, it’s also a bit of a burden. You simply can’t write another song like that, because songs like that only come along once in a very long while. It takes a unique song mixed with the right situation.

Unfortunately, it seems as though The Temper Trap made a shift in its sound that has brought the holistic style of this self-titled album in a more radio-friendly direction. I’m not insinuating that they were trying to duplicate “Sweet Disposition” – in fact, the pulsing, synthesizer-dominated first single “Need Your Love” shows they weren’t trying to do that at all. The shift in sound, both on that first single and the rest of the album, just doesn’t feel natural, though. It feels soulless, calculated, even manufactured. Dougy Mandagi’s warm falsetto is perhaps not as prevalent as it was on Conditions, with more straightforward, rocking numbers like “Trembling Hands” dominating the tracklist. Many songs are anthemic in style, but listeners might find themselves missing the lighter, catchier sounds of tracks like “Love Lost” and “Science of Fear.”

Certain songs on The Temper Trap are just not worth listening to more than a couple of times. “Miracle” and “I’m Gonna Wait” play out like this band was trying too hard, whereas more songs in the vein of “This Isn’t Happiness” or “Where Do We Go From Here” would have been more appreciated. Even those songs feel like they lack a certain intrinsic oomph. Lyrically, the hesitation and slight fear of Conditions has been replaced be the, uh-oh, more “mature” themes of discontent and love lost and whatever else. But the lyrics are one of the weakest points on the record – knee-jerkingly shallow and cliché, and while metaphors abound, they only manage to provide a dizzying effect.

Things hit rock bottom early on with “London Burning,” the appallingly awful look into the London riots from last year. Slices of broadcasts from the riots do a good job of setting a serious scene, but the song is jerky and overtly unlistenable. Considering how easy it seemed for The Temper Trap to write a catchy song on Conditions, the lack of catchiness on this album is nothing short of a jaw-dropping development. I won’t relegate this group to a one-hit-wonder, because Conditions as a whole was respectable. But a song as bad as “London’s Burning” and a record as instantly forgettable as this self-titled effort might result in The Temper Trap being referred to in the not-so-distant future as “that band that wrote that song in that movie.”

5/10

LinksStream the whole record
Purchase
[sc=40599810]40599810[/sc]
[sc=45947843]45947843[/sc]

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25.
11:23 PM on 06/11/12
thesafeword
-
User Info.
"From once indie darlings."
11:46 PM on 06/11/12
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
So glad you reviewed this.
11:48 PM on 06/11/12
OdourlessHobo
woop woop woop
User Info.
Trembling Hands and The Sea is Calling were my favorites from this album. But as a whole, definitely much much weaker than Conditions.
11:53 PM on 06/11/12
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
"knee-jerkingly shallow and cliché, and while metaphors abound, they only manage to provide a dizzying effect."

wouldn't shallow / cliche metaphors have no effect, not a dizzying / headspinning effect? seems like dizzying metaphors could be a compliment in a lot of ways, confused
11:55 PM on 06/11/12
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
No metaphors allowed, needs to be more like Mixtapes.
12:28 AM on 06/12/12
Theseventhson
User Info.
"From once indie darlings."
that single that was in all the movies was indie it was also darling
12:28 AM on 06/12/12
seimagery
User Info.
Yeah, this album is garbage. Probably the worst follow-up to a great cd that I can remember. Real shame to.
01:16 AM on 06/12/12
Kuri44
Bank
User Info.
Yeah, pretty disappointed with this album. Need Your Love is the best song on this album by far. Love that song so fucking much.
05:09 AM on 06/12/12
radiofriendly
stachy destroyer
User Info.
this was such a supremely disappointing album, but I'm not too sure the first album was really ever as good as the hype "Sweet Disposition" created.
06:46 AM on 06/12/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
This is surprising. I never enjoyed them that much though.
07:02 AM on 06/12/12
TheRealJohnOC
I've seen 701 bands/artists live
User Info.
I didn't think this would live up to their last album. Has anyone seen them live?
07:21 AM on 06/12/12
brentkid
I am no king.
User Info.
can't say i like anything i heard from this album after really enjoying conditions.
08:51 AM on 06/12/12
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
I didn't think this would live up to their last album. Has anyone seen them live?
I saw them in back in August 2010, and they were absolutely incredible. I plan on seeing them again this Sunday.
09:53 AM on 06/12/12
thesafeword
-
User Info.
that single that was in all the movies was indie it was also darling
hey indie music is easy just be in a quirky rom com with zooey deschanel or some half attractive girl like her
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests