Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Thursday Discussion: The Best Summer Songs

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (06/14/12)
Iíve lived in Florida my entire life. That means that I have no real sense of when seasons begin and end, as our summer runs from basically March until October. Then we get something that we call "winter," which is usually a couple weeks of lows in the 50s when girls decide to break out furry boots, then weíre back on our way to the sweltering sunlight. This past week in Gainesville has seen some particularly brutal weather, so this weekís Thursday Discussion centers around the topic of summer songs.

Naturally, pop-punk music is associated with the summertime most. We look for songs that are fast-paced, full of hooks and easy to sing along to. But in an attempt to avoid a list that's just the best of a single genre, I wanted to choose some tracks that you also might play on slow, sticky summer nights or during rain showers, too. That being said, New Found Gloryís "My Friends Over You" is the song I most instantly identify with the season. Sticks and Stones just celebrated its tenth birthday, and thereís probably no better time to revisit that album than right now, during these endless hot days. To me, part of the younger generation who grew up with New Found Gloryís best albums in middle school during those crucial formative years, this is the song that I point to when people ask me what pop-punk music is. We shouldnít overlook Yellowcardís "Ocean Avenue," though. Thereís still nary a time that I take the short, 20-minute drive from my momís house back home to Ft. Lauderdale beach without rolling the windows down and cranking this song up all the way.

Not everything on this playlist has to have distorted guitars. You can pretty much pick anything out of the Beach Boysí catalog for a discussion like this, but Iíll choose "Surfiní Safari," just edging out "Surfiní U.S.A." Those guys wrote a lot of songs about surfing. You should include some version of "Summer In the City" Ė whether itís the original by The Loviní Spoonful or the Butthole Surfers cover. While weíre on the topic of songs that actually have the word 'summer' in their title, Iíll happily include one of the first songs I ever knew all of the lyrics to, Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69." The guitar riff is great in any season, though.

Almost as synonymous with summertime as pop-punk is pure radio pop. Every playlist needs a little flavor of the month, so Iíll throw in everyoneís current favorite radio hit, Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe." And now Iím painstakingly deciding whether I should choose a Katy Perry tune or Maroon 5ís "Moves Like Jagger" Ė Iíll go with Perryís "Teenage Dream." One of AP.netís favorite bands is currently riding the radio charts as well, so although this doesnít fall into the category of "pure radio pop," we can insert fun.ís "Some Nights" here. I came this close to picking "All The Pretty Girls," though.

Weíre going to round this playlist out on a faster note, so Iím going to stick Bruce Springsteen's "Sheís The One" in here. The track is easily the catchiest Springsteen song that isnít on Born In the U.S.A., and itís a perfect one for those aforementioned sticky, humid summer nights. I donít want to go with the album version, though Ė specifically, Iím picking the live version from the Hammersmith Odeon concert in London in 1975. Just give it one spin and youíll understand. Without making this too cheesy of a transition, my next choice is the latest single from The Gaslight Anthem, "45." This really only edges out "The Spirit of Jazz" or "The Backseat" because of timely relevance, but itís obviously still a great summer song as it continues to perform well on rock radio. And my final pick isnít too much of a shocker Ė Brand Newís "Soco Amaretto Lime" might get playtime from all of us year-round, but thereís something about listening to this song while youíre speeding along a pitch-black road when itís 80 degrees at midnight that leaves it embedded in your heart forever.

Jump to the replies to leave your own choice summer songs, and check out the playlist I made in Spotify if you want to spin it yourself.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 142.
11:54 AM on 06/14/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
11:59 AM on 06/14/12
Simulcast
You can't kill us all
User Info.

JASON LOOK IT'S NOT A DEFTONES SONG.

x

Edit: I guess for me this is more of an end of summer song, but it makes me reminisce over the great summers I've had. It usually finds it's way into my playlists around June anyhow.
12:03 PM on 06/14/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
Im just gonna list some of the new albums I got that will rule my summer 2012
Vacationer - Gone
Rome - Dedications EP
POP ETC - S/T
Jukebox The Ghost - Safe Travels
Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Neon Trees - Picture Show
fun. - Some Nights
Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts (Dangermouse hooked this album up)
12:04 PM on 06/14/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Some of my favorites:

Blink 182 - The Rock Show
New Found Glory - My Friends Over You
Four Year Strong - Wasting Time
Set Your Goals - Summer Jam
The Wonder Years - Summers in PA
Man Overboard - Love Your Friends, Die Laughing
The Ataris - The Boys of Summer
MxPx - Summer of 69
Mae - Summertime
Day at the Fair - Coda
Lanemeyer - What a Shitty Summer
Andrew W.K. - Party Hard
Patent Pending - These Pools Were Made For Hopping
12:06 PM on 06/14/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Rock and roll like Japandroids is just as good as anything else during this season, IMO.
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Holly HoX!
User Info.
King Tuff - "bad Thing"
12:11 PM on 06/14/12
floormaster925
don't stick around
User Info.
You sleep alone-hellogoodbye
time bomb- the format
carby-discover
partying is such sweet sorrow- every time i die
comeback kid- sleigh bells
...and Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens in its entirety (but that always sounds good to me).
12:11 PM on 06/14/12
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.

This song just puts me in that happy, montagey mood summer brings.
12:14 PM on 06/14/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
Summer songs...my favorite kind of songs!

Some of my favorites:

The Maine - Girls Do What They Want

The Friday Night Boys - Stuttering

New Found Glory - It's Been A Summer

The Dangerous Summer - Northern Lights (but really, the entire RFTS album as well)

The Rocket Summer - Circa '46
12:18 PM on 06/14/12
centennial.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
12:20 PM on 06/14/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Now I want to watch The OC
12:22 PM on 06/14/12
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
That Phantom Planet song was a staple of my ninth grade year. Didn't know it was on a TV show till years later.
12:23 PM on 06/14/12
tozborne
Writer, Under the Gun Review
User Info.
Fireworks - The Wild Bunch

Yellowcard - Life of a Salesman / Back Home

New Found Glory - Understatement

Green Day - Westbound Sign

The Wonder Years - Summers in PA

Sum 41 - Makes No Difference

Big D and the Kids Table - Noise Complaint
Options