Password

Album Review

Now, Now - Threads Album Cover

Now, Now - Threads

Reviewed by
Now, NowThreads
Record Label: Trans-Records
Release Date: March 6, 2012
An ambient soundscape prepares you for the disquieting and surprising experience that awaits. The album introduces you to a mood and lyrics that will serve the record throughout – think Brand New’s Tautou or O’Brother’s Malum. Call it what you may, I think this record has a lot in common with Deja Entendu.

In the first full song, Cacie Dalager’s voice comes to full attention in the first verse (also joined by Bradley Hale on drums and Jess Abbott on guitar), and sets the stage, leaving you hanging for where the rest of the song is going. “I would trade this sleep for you in a heartbeat, but this weather will not lift, it leaves us shouting into cliffs without an echo.” The way these words flow from her lips brings you completely into the record from the start.

"Lucie, Too" continues the strong start. The first lines roll in a rhythm off her tongue in one long release that fits perfectly with Bradley’s propulsive drumming. While generally I would not compare this band to Eisley, this song brings them to mind the most, "Memories" most closely resembling the harmony found here. This early- to mid-2000s indie scene is something that springs to mind consistently in this record. The record can feel like it was recently unearthed after being lost from the scene. As someone who came into the scene through Further Seems Forever, Copeland, Name Taken, Pedro the Lion, and Death Cab for Cutie (Chris Walla’s owns Trans-Records), this record perfectly falls in place.

"Thread" draws allusions to a failing relationship, and for a song so serious, so dark, so freak out alone in your room, its use of hand claps are remarkable. "Wolf" finds some The Cinema quality with Lydia lyrics. It is not easy to say the lines she does in "Wolf", yet to her credit, the lyrics do not cause you to cringe with incredulity. This song also has one of the best hooks on the record. These three songs from "Thread", "Wolf", and "School Friends" perfectly capture the band.

"Magnet" closes the record on a great note. All the parts come together, allusions to earlier themes are revealed, and why I am sure lyrics could be found, the way the music and Cacie's voice quiets down and the music turns up leaves one particular line unfinished, letting you take the meaning where you desire.

While not a perfect record (I find "But I Do" and "Separate Rooms" lacking), this record has been on repeat since first hearing "Thread". Being close to the age of this band, it is a unique experience to feel transported to that time when I was first getting into music with the wisdom and understanding of already living it. Big things lie in store for this band.

Recommended If You Like2000s indie; driving aimlessly while listening to music
This review is a user submitted review from bmt !!!. You can see all of bmt !!!'s submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
08:15 AM on 06/23/12
Amongster
Still In Last Place
User Info.
Reminds me of Copeland and Lydia as well, and those lines from "Prehistoric" absolutely pulled me into the record when I first listened. Glad to finally see this album reviewed on AP.
07:55 PM on 06/23/12
Nardes
User Info.
Find this album to be bland. Saw them open for fun. Hoping it'd help me appreciate them more and it did the exact opposite. Just an overrated girl band playing the same notes on the guitar over and over. On the other hand, they are all very nice people!
08:05 PM on 06/23/12
theagentcoma
Mouthpiece for the Mental
User Info.
I like the sort of spacey-feeling I get from the intro to Prehistoric. Dig this band, one of my fav releases this year so far.
08:43 PM on 06/23/12
AaronTZK
User Info.
I put off listening to NN when I first heard about em but I finally gave it a listen and I bought Threads immediately after. Solid release all around
02:53 PM on 06/24/12
bmt !!!
www.nchv.org
User Info.
The ending of "Magnet" sounds very similar to another song that I could not quite place that seemed from the time of early 2000s indie. If anyone has some thoughts on to what I am thinking about, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the comments and reading.
06:34 PM on 09/15/12
Impress
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Please excuse me for being terribly uninformed, but what classifies as early 2000s indie? I'd like to listen to more of it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos