AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

New Found Glory -- 06.16.12

Interviewed by: Jake Denning (06/16/12)
New Found Glory is one of the greatest pop-punk bands ever. Every single record they've released is solid, and they don't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.

I was able to chat with vocalist Jordan Pundik about their upcoming slot on the Vans Warped Tour, their new music video, and other cool stuff. Make this band a priority when you attend this year's Warped Tour; I'm sure the band you'd see otherwise would understand why you're not watching their set.

So you just shot a video for "Summer Fling, Don't Mean A Thing" not too long ago. How was it?

It was pretty fun, cause we're amazing actors and everything...so it's gonna be awesome, haha. It was cool, it has this "indie film" vibe, and it seems really funny from what I was seeing in the playbacks.

Who directed the video?

It was the same dude who directed the "Dig My Own Grave" video [Joseph Pattisall], but that video didn't really have any budget, and this one we had a little bit of money, so we were able to make it look a lot better than that video.

How did you decide to shoot a video for this song?

We all collectively felt that it would be a good summer jam for everybody, and we've been playing it live the past few months and it's been really well received. We decided one morning that we'd put a visual to the song. It's a little goofy, but it still has that sincerity, but we wanted to put out a cool, fun video. It's a good mixture of both.

Radiosurgery has been out a little over 8 months; how has the reaction been to it so far?

It's been really good, which I'm super stoked about, since it's a record that I've always wanted to make. I'm really stoked that it's been received really well, and that people kinda have taking it in...because I know a lot of people weren't really feeling Coming Home, and it's been like a weird mix of reactions for the last two records, so I'm really glad people have been enjoying this record.

Have you noticed a big reaction from younger people that weren't around for the Self-Titled album or Sticks and Stones?

Yeah, for sure; it's cool, because it's maybe younger kids or people that haven't really listened to us before. It kinda almost feels like we're a fresh, new band with this record. We have the fans that have been supporting us for years; we've been a band for a long time, and for as long as we've been around, you'd expect the crowd to all be old people, but it's not. Every tour we do, the fans that grew up with us are hanging in the back drinking beers, and then the whole front and pit is younger kids.

Looking at the album a bit more, what was the hardest song to write lyrically for this album?

Trainwreck, because we were trying to find a way to summarize everything that was going on in the record. We had the chorus, and that's the song we wanted to close the record with.

Radiosurgery is your second record on Epitaph. How many more records do you have with them?

I think this is our last one, and they have the option for one more if they want.

You had Bethany Cosentino from Best Coast jump on "Caught In The Act". How was it working with her?

She's great man, she's really cool, even before we were in the studio. I met her at one of her shows in San Diego. I live maybe 20-30 minutes from the venue and I came a little bit earlier to check out the merch and the first bands, and she out there was hanging out. I actually met the drummer first, this girl Ally that used to be their drummer; she hit me up on twitter...twitter's a funny thing how it works like that. And I was like "I want to see you guys play", and she hit me up and told me to come out to a show. So I came out, met her, met Bethany, and she goes "You have no idea, I used to love you guys, I still love you guys...", and I was like "Really? You're like an Indie Princess, you like New Found Glory?" and she goes "You'd be surprised how many people love New Found Glory here". So I thought that was cool.

So after that you just kept in contact with them?

Yeah, and then Chad went to their show in L.A., and then we kept in contact with them. When we were doing the record, and the song she's on, we just pictured her voice being on there, because of the vibe of the song.

Is Best Coast a band you can see being on tour with New Found Glory?

I would love having Best Coast on tour with us, we love playing with different bands, and bringing bands that we love that we think people will love too, you know?

I think they'd do really well on tour with you guys

Yeah, I think so too. I don't know if they would do it; I think Bethany might, but I don't know about the other guy in the band [Bobb Bruno].

Looking back on the album now, what are you most proud about?

I'm most proud that it was a record we always wanted to make, a "straight-forward, catchy, from start to finish, doesn't stop" kind of record, and take influences that got us playing this music. I'm really proud that we were able to accomplish that, and kids are actually noticing that. Realizing that when people listen to this record, they're like "Oh, I can definitely hear the influences in this record". I like the fact that people still love it, even though there's not many breakdowns in it, and I'm stoked on it. And don't get me wrong, I love breakdowns, but I also love a record that you can put on in your car with your windows down and blast from start to finish.

Have you talked as a band about how long you'd like to tour on this album before you head into the studio again?

Not really, we usually do a record every two years. I think it'll be another year before we write another one.

Is there a possibility that we can see an EP similar to Tip of the Iceberg before another full-length?

I don't know, there's always that chance. Everyone lives in different states, and we're all kind of split up. It's hard and easy at the same time.

What are your thoughts on being on Warped Tour this summer?

I'm stoked on it. We haven't done it in 5 years, and I'm really stoked because we have a lot of friends on this tour, and that's what really makes Warped Tour what it is -- the hangouts and the BBQ's afterwards, it's just a cool thing and something I grew up on; I'm stoked I get to be a part of it again.

What bands are you looking forward to seeing on this tour?

I'm looking forward to seeing Transit, I've never seen them before. I'm looking forward to hanging out with the Bayside dudes. It's going to be interesting seeing Blood On The Dance Floor, can't wait to see that whole thing go down.

It's pretty bad

Oh, I'm sure, but you know, I bet they're the nicest dudes in the world though. So I'm not that jaded guy where I'm like "Fuck this band"; I'm not into politics and drama, I just want to have a good time. And if you're down with that, then cool.

What's the one band that's going to surprise people and be really popular at the end of the tour?

You know, I want to say Transit. Isn't Daytrader on the tour this year?

I think so, maybe.

Yeah, cause I think I saw them on the lineup. If they are, I think that's really gonna be the "merch" band.

How hard has it been picking a setlist for this tour?

It hasn't been too hard really, we kind of picked the more "warped tour" type of songs, the more upbeat and fast songs.

Is there a song that you haven't played in awhile that you're excited to play?

I think we're playing the shit that we play all the time

So it's a "Greatest Hits" set then

Yeah, basically "Greatest Hits", because we only have 35-40 minutes, which is only 8 or 9 songs. It's hard after all the albums we have, to make a rad set that people are going to want to YouTube or something. It's still going to be a 30 minute aerobics workout for the people that come out to see us.

Will you guys be changing the setlist up throughout the tour, or will you be sticking to the same setlist?

We might change up a few songs here and there, because we don't want it to be repetitive all the time. But for the most part, it'll stay the same.

Are there any surprises you'll have up your sleeve for the tour?

Yeah, but I don't want to give it away...

Something a lot of people want to know is what the status of the International Superheroes of Hardcore? Are they done for good, or maybe, or what?

Well, the ISHC is dead, but they may be reincarnated in some other form of heroes, who knows.

What led to the decision to stop doing the ISHC?

I think honestly, we were just too busy with everything else. Chad is producing other bands, and us touring a lot. Everyone has their own things when they're home, so to do a fun hardcore band on the side, yeah it's fun, but at the same time we have a real band to do.

Does it get old to play shows and have people yell out those songs at you?

Yeah, I mean, there are times where we do bust those songs out real quick. So you never know, you could be at a show and someone can call it out, and we'd play it.

Did you ever think you'd be playing in this band after all these years? Bands like Sum 41 and Simple Plan are still touring and pulling good crowds. What young bands do you think will still be doing well 10 years from now?

Oh, I definitely think Balance & Composure, they're really starting to get their sound, especially with their last record that came out; I think they're only going to get better. Who else...there's a couple of bands...

What about The Wonder Years?

Yeah, The Wonder Years I can see still doing it...I feel like they're going to be one of those bands that's going to be around because of their ethos and their DIY attitude. They might have that one record where they'll go, and it'll be super polished sounding record, but at the same time, they'll still be the same dudes. I don't think they'll turn into a pop band or anything.

Have you heard of The Story So Far?

Yeah, we're trying to do shows together, take them on tour sometime.

Yeah, they're great dudes, and super humble.

Yeah, when This Time Next Year was opening up for us on tour, they were from the same area, and we met a couple of the guys.

For someone who has a large amount of experience in the music industry, what advice would you give to younger bands?

I would say keep on pushing, no matter what happens. If you want to be a band for a long time, you're going to go through ups and downs. Just because your record doesn't sell as well as the last one, try and keep putting out the best record you can and keep touring, that's all it is.

After this Warped Tour, you're headed overseas for a few dates including the U.K. Warped Tour, then you're coming back here for a "Sticks and Stones 10th Anniversary" headliner here in the U.S. What can we expect from that tour?

Well, the whole record, and then some. For a lot of people, that was a big record; there's so many people that say that the record got them into this type of music, and for me, that's awesome. We're all still trying to get all the stuff together for it, but we know it's definitely happening.

Do you know approximately when that tour will take place? Maybe December or January?

No, I think it'll be after that, I'm not sure though.

Is there anything else you'd like to say or mention?

Come see us on Warped Tour. Thanks to all our fans for allowing us to be a band this long.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 54.
10:00 AM on 06/16/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Hopefully they take TSSF out on the Sticks and Stones tour
10:04 AM on 06/16/12
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
Hopefully they take TSSF out on the Sticks and Stones tour
I'd be stoked for that too! I dunno if anyone out there that wouldn't be down with that.
10:08 AM on 06/16/12
Br&New182
...survived prep school.
User Info.
I say they take saves the day out again on the sticks and stones, but have std play stay what you are all the way through in honor of its 10th anniversary.
10:17 AM on 06/16/12
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
I had no idea the 10 year anniversary tour was happening for Sticks and Stones, I can't believe how excited I am for that.
10:29 AM on 06/16/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I say they take saves the day out again on the sticks and stones, but have std play stay what you are all the way through in honor of its 10th anniversary.
PLEASE
10:31 AM on 06/16/12
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
This would be absolutely perfect.
10:32 AM on 06/16/12
crf1895
get kinda awesome
User Info.
Quote:
It's going to be interesting seeing Blood On The Dance Floor, can't wait to see that whole thing go down.

It's pretty bad

Oh, I'm sure

bwahahahahaha
10:34 AM on 06/16/12
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
I had no idea the 10 year anniversary tour was happening for Sticks and Stones, I can't believe how excited I am for that.
Yeah, it's a great opportunity, I'm stoked for it.
10:34 AM on 06/16/12
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
I was grinning so hard when he said that.
10:46 AM on 06/16/12
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
i just want to grab him and shake the shit of him and yell in his face "Coming Home is your best record!".

i really don't get what people don't like about it. the song writing is solid as ever, the production is spot on, the lyrics are some of their best, Jordans vocals are fantastic on it, and it flows really well. it literally has everything that makes a great record.

to me, comparing Coming Home to their last two records is laughable. and i honestly like Radiosurgery.

i don't get it.

10:51 AM on 06/16/12
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
i just want to grab him and shake the shit of him and yell in his face "Coming Home is your best record!".

i really don't get what people don't like about.
I enjoy the record too, there's some really good jams on there!

They busted out "Hold My Hand" for a disabled girl in Portland, that was SUPER cool of them.
11:03 AM on 06/16/12
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
I enjoy the record too, there's some really good jams on there!

They busted out "Hold My Hand" for a disabled girl in Portland, that was SUPER cool of them.
that is awesome. that record should have been a real turning point for them. of course, who am I to really say this, but, I feel as if that record was the realest thing they ever put out. they didn't care about the outside world because they had a clear vision of what they wanted to do. they just had these songs inside of them, that were actually about them (instead of forcing themselves to write about fake relationships), and they did their thing with it. that record is what they were feeling at the moment they were writing.

if anything Not Without A Fight deserves it's backlash. such a contrived record.

seriously tho, tell me this isn't a supreme jam.

11:04 AM on 06/16/12
Erik the Orange
What do they know about friends?
User Info.
My Friends Over Jake Denning.
11:05 AM on 06/16/12
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Denning, do you think in decimals and dollars?? Because you are the cause to all my problems...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests