AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.63
Musicianship 9.88
Lyrics 8.88
Production 9.75
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 9.88
Average: 97%

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Reviewed by: EvilButters (11/19/07)
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Record Label: Interscope Records
Release Date: August 27, 2002

With a lineup that's constantly changing and Josh Homme at the wheel, Queens of the Stone Age are a band that knows how to put out music that doesn't sound like anything else out there. This album, Songs for the Deaf, is the album that will make anyone a fan. When it comes to the lineup, Homme said it best back in 2000: "It really is more of a musical experiment… It keeps moving and reinventing itself. That way we never get painted into a corner." With songs that range from having crunchy guitar riffs and pounding drum solos to songs that are a bit slower and utilize instruments like acoustic guitar, clapping, and piano, Songs for the Deaf has something for everybody.

The entire album gives the listener the feeling they're surfing through radio stations. Songs like "You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, But I Feel Like a Millionaire" show how heavy the band can get at times and how well Nick Oliveri can scream. The band switches it up a bit with "First it Giveth." The guitar rhythm is spastic and is really something that only sounds like Queens of the Stone Age. Dave Grohl is amazing on the drums, and his talent is showcased throughout the record. It really stands out in "Song for the Dead," since the majority of the intro is all drums. The structure of the band is highlighted by the unique vocals that are shared between Josh Homme, Nick Oliveri, and Mark Lanegan. Lanegan's deep yet raspy style is showcased in songs like "Hangin' Tree," "God is in the Radio," and "Song for the Dead," Oliveri screams his way through songs like "You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar..." and "Six Shooter," while Homme's voice tends to be the softest that highlights songs such as "No One Knows" and "Go With the Flow."

The piano really comes into play in "Go With the Flow," as it's used quite heavily in the song, while "God is in the Radio" shows that musicians can use one key from a piano and yet still give a song a unique sound. "Song for the Deaf" is defined by the screaming in the background that jumps from speaker to speaker. Distorted yet fuzzy guitar riffs and raspy vocals are the last things heard as the album comes to a close. The secret song, "The Mosquito Song," may be the highlight of the record. With lyrics like "Fat and soft, pink and weak / Foot and thigh, tongue and cheek / You know I'm told they swallow you whole / Skin and bone," the lyrics are stronger than ever. The song crawls along to the sound of an acoustic guitar. An organ chimes in while an incredible piano piece occupies the middle of the song, and a viola almost sounds like actual mosquitoes at times.

While the vocals may take some getting used to, it's one of the factors that make the album great. With a lineup that's constantly changing and a distinct yet unique sound, Queens of the Stone Age are a band that will always guarantee creativity. The outcome is bound to be different, and their sound won't ever go stale. Combined with Dave Grohl's amazing skills on the drums, the band’s creativity makes this third effort the best album in the Queens of the Stone Age library.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
09:06 AM on 11/27/07
aaronwrigley
Aaron
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Urrm, Josh Homme doesn't sing half the songs you just waffeled on about! Nick Oliverie sings "You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, But I Feel Like a Millionaire" and Mark Lanegan sings on "Six Shooter" and" God is in the radio". Listen carefully and you should easily be able to tell the difference between each singer (now that you know there's more than one) for each song. marks is deep, joshes is softer and Nick screams. I'm not trying to be a dick, but isn't it your job to know about this stuff??
06:15 PM on 11/27/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Urrm, Josh Homme doesn't sing half the songs you just waffeled on about! Nick Oliverie sings "You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, But I Feel Like a Millionaire" and Mark Lanegan sings on "Six Shooter" and" God is in the radio". Listen carefully and you should easily be able to tell the difference between each singer (now that you know there's more than one) for each song. marks is deep, joshes is softer and Nick screams. I'm not trying to be a dick, but isn't it your job to know about this stuff??
If this is true, a rewrite is in order.
09:06 PM on 11/27/07
EvilButters
Slop Artist
User Info.

I didn't know that, so I apologize. I didn't really become a fan of Queens of the Stone Age until a year or two ago, so it's all relatively new to me. If there's anything else I should know about, let me know now. Everything I could find online about the album said who does what in the band, but I couldn't find anything about different vocalists at the time. If it says that in the liner notes of the booklet that came in the CD, then I was SOL because I didn't have it at the time.
10:09 PM on 11/27/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
I didn't know that, so I apologize. I didn't really become a fan of Queens of the Stone Age until a year or two ago, so it's all relatively new to me. If there's anything else I should know about, let me know now. Everything I could find online about the album said who does what in the band, but I couldn't find anything about different vocalists at the time. If it says that in the liner notes of the booklet that came in the CD, then I was SOL because I didn't have it at the time.
How about editing this review a bit to correct things?

edit: the review's been corrected by EvilButters.
10:57 PM on 11/27/07
EvilButters
Slop Artist
User Info.
Let me know if there's anything else that needs to be adjusted.
12:17 AM on 11/28/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Let me know if there's anything else that needs to be adjusted.
Looks good to me. Hope to see more writing from you in the future.
08:54 AM on 11/28/07
EvilButters
Slop Artist
User Info.
Looks good to me. Hope to see more writing from you in the future.

Thanks for the kind words, man. It's feedback like this that'll keep me writing.
06:51 PM on 12/01/07
TheOtherAndrew
[UNINTELLIGIBLE SCREAMING]
User Info.
Man, I haven't heard this album in forever. Good review though.
12:33 AM on 12/02/07
EvilButters
Slop Artist
User Info.
Man, I haven't heard this album in forever. Good review though.

Thanks a lot, man. I really appreciate your feedback.
09:57 PM on 11/21/09
Rubbersoul87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Too good
11:36 PM on 08/14/10
tbagurdrumset94
Hunter Brixton
User Info.
It was pretty cool. I have my complaints though...
11:03 PM on 12/10/10
alexibilly94
Hunter Vincenzo Edwards
User Info.
different for sure
02:50 PM on 05/28/12
creativemind
every planet we reach is dead
User Info.
This album is perfect.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE