AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Front Bottoms, The - My Grandma Vs. Pneumonia Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 6
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Front Bottoms, The - My Grandma Vs. Pneumonia

Reviewed by: jacobg2000 (06/19/12)
The Front Bottoms - My Grandma Vs. Pneumonia
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: 2009

I'mma be honest with you guys - I hate reviews. I'm only writing this to support one of my newest favorite bands, The Front Bottoms. My Grandma Vs. Pneumonia was a pain in the ass for me to find, but it was well worth the monotonous internet searching. A self-released album from a New Jersey group with a punk-like DIY work ethic, this album captures the thoughts of a poor boy in the midst of growing up, tripping acid at parties, and falling in and out of love.

Let me begin by stating that The Front Bottoms are a band for lyricists and artists. Gracefully raw and simple, the band ignores the notion that music has to be "complicated" to be great, an idea that I believe is the principle downfall of many modern musicians. Singers are often "turned off" by Brian Sella's vocals, which are often compared to those of Blink-182's Tom DeLonge.

This album opens up with Flying Model Rockets, an anthemic sing-along that brings to mind a small room full of kids screaming their lungs out along with Sella. Brian Uychich's catchy keyboard melodies highlight tracks such as Christians Vs. Indians and The Cops, while his brother Mathew's fiercely dance-able drumming is present throughout the album. This drumming serves as a decadent complement of the lyrics on tracks such as Just As Big Twice As Swollen, which admits "I shouldn't feel like I have to protect you/I shouldn't feel like I have to entertain." Other lyrics seem to suggest Sella finds himself needing to move on, such as in Hello World, where he regrettingly sings, "but I am a grown-up/so I should find something to occupy my time/instead of notebooks filled with nonsense/looking for answers I'll never find."

Although often compared to River City Extension, I struggle finding anything to compare this to, although I would say that Sella's lyrics are like Soupie Campbell's from the Wonder Years, but under heavy influence of drugs of course.

Recommended If You Likeacoustic-pop, pop-punk, dance-punk

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
02:13 PM on 06/30/12
DCART
@DylanCarty
User Info.
"soupie"
07:51 PM on 07/02/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
reviews need to be checked a lot more on this site.
08:48 PM on 07/03/12
jacobg2000
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
reviews need to be checked a lot more on this site.

Reviews suck in general.
09:00 PM on 07/03/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
Reviews suck in general.
Only shitty ones.

Just to be nice, song titles in quotation marks, make sure you spell check, grammar check, actually put some detail in there, make it more formal.

But yeah, you hate reviews, and this one was too shitty to be approved, so...
12:50 PM on 08/05/12
ellie117
EAGLES, Phillies, Flyers, tacos.
User Info.
Hey. Someone PM me a way to get my hands on this EP. I'm tired of failing and I love me some TFB.
08:26 AM on 11/19/12
Bowserstrawser
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Where did you find this album? I cannot find it anywhere.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS