Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Consequential Apathy: Pay For The Piano

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (06/20/12)
You're going to need some time to sit down for this one this week. In case you haven't yet, please read NPR intern Emily White's blog. Then read professor and ex-musician David Lowery's response. Then read Travis Morrison of The Dismemberment Plan's response to Lowery. If you make it through all of that, I've got some thoughts on all three pieces here. What I want you to think about this week is the tangible ownership of music. If there's one vinyl record or CD in your collection that you would never part with, why? When and where did you get it, and is there a story behind it? Would love to hear why the tangible medium will never die from music fans instead of the press.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 68.
02:05 AM on 06/20/12
digitalh8
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have a first pressing of New Order: Substance on vinyl that I got from my older brother who was the one that got me into music to begin with. He gave it to me when I was probably 12 from his collection. I would KILL if anything were to ever happen to it because that record is a symbol of how I grew to appreciate music when I was younger and I still do to this day.
04:55 AM on 06/20/12
Eckel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
a bit off topic.

my first favorite album: Outline- A Boy Can Dream

I don't own the first copy I ever purchased anymore (stolen from my honda) but listening to those songs on repeat almost on a daily basis is a memmory I would not trade. I remember signing up for a mailing list online and having a large envelope mailed to my house. Inside the envelope was a cd, t-shirt, stickers, and flyers to promote the album release, I couldn't believe that a local band sent me all of the items included in the package for free. My biggest memory of that album is listening to the last track and thinking the cd had ended, after the silence came to an end a quick Midtownish riff made my mouth uncontrollably blurt out wow as the sound of broken glass rang in my ears. Outline turned me on to so many other bands such as Saves The Day, Midtown, and Unwritten Law.
An Outline reunion would be out of control -
05:10 AM on 06/20/12
iamevicted
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Go out and make a quality product and people will throw their hard earned money at your confidence and heart put into it. The people who matter will. They're the fans who will give your "new direction" a biting chance and take a plane or road trip cross country to see you reunite years later. People will put themselves through any number of "inconveniences" for any number of quality products - especially the comfort of music."

Just wanted to agree with your final sentiments. A TREOS reunion show will get me to drive hundreds of miles and up put hundreds of dollars for a hotel room in the boston area. Put out a quality product and you'll get our pre-orders.
05:27 AM on 06/20/12
oceanblue
User Info.
The day I can return an album for being terrible is the day I will start buying music more frequently again.

I will add that when I am at shows I do buy CDs or Vinyl from the artist because they get all of the money from it, not just a fraction.
05:37 AM on 06/20/12
rollerman4221
Woof!
User Info.
cliffsx4?
06:24 AM on 06/20/12
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
I did the boombox snipe plenty of times. And the old art of creating mixtapes. Morrison is right, people have been stealing music for a long time, not just when Napster started. That being said, I can say that maybe 70% of my records and CDs are paid for; the other 30% falling under the gift, try before you buy, or pirated category. These three points of view, (music aficionado, old guard of artists, and new guard of artists) are all very different, but it's hard to argue that one is more right than the other. Seems its less a moral dilemma now and more a personal preference. Some listeners prefer to purchase music and some don't. Some artists are greatly offended when their work isn't paid for, some are just happy that their work is being noticed. It's hard to argue that any of those points of view are outright wrong.
06:27 AM on 06/20/12
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
The day I can return an album for being terrible is the day I will start buying music more frequently again.

This. Normally before I buy a record, I'll look to download it or try to find a stream online. No use wasting $10-$15 for something that fails to meet expectation.
06:27 AM on 06/20/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.

I will add that when I am at shows I do buy CDs or Vinyl from the artist because they get all of the money from it, not just a fraction.
This is so stupid. You make it seem like you would want to buy music - if only you could return an album for being bad. Today's system gives you the chance to screen that yourself beforehand! Download the record like you always do and if you don't like it - "return" it. Aka in this situation don't buy it. But if you do like it, then why aren't you going out and purchasing it after you already know you enjoy it? Aka "not returning" it according to what you said. Just making excuses when you could absolutely be buying music in a fair way.
07:07 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I love my collection of records. I love em all and I wouldn't part with any of them. Just picked up two hard to find Dylan's and a Pavarotti. I like a lot of different music. I got records for every mood.

Music as a physical medium is probably one of the most important things to me. It's how the artist intended their art to be experience. Fuck digital. Fuck iTunes. I don't get why people throw their money at a ten dollar download when they could have a physical piece of art for a dollar or two more.

I have my own label now, producing vinyl and limited hand screen printed CD releases. Even the act of producing pieces is special. Once it's in your hands....just a great feeling. People that support physical music are my friends.
07:19 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Haha Travis' letter. Awesome.
07:29 AM on 06/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

This is ridiculous. When I go record picking, sometimes I'll just get something that looks cool without ever hearing it. If it looks interesting I have to have it.I used to do this back in the day at used CD shops as well - when I listened to more bands in this genre. I would buy albums all the time without hearing a single note, some of these remain my favorites. Hey Mercedes is one of them. Likewise, I would look at band's liner notes and go through and seek out their "thank you" bands and often find gems.

Your logic is fucked. Part of the beauty of music is discovery. Sure, sometimes you'll end up buying a dud. Oh well. But sometimes you'll end up finding a treasure. You have a very cynical view of music discovery and buying.
07:44 AM on 06/20/12
Slow Lights
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have tattoos of three bands lyrics on (Thursday, The Receiving End of Sirens, the New Frontiers) and subsequently, this means I had to own whatever I could of their catalog on vinyl (just because I feel like it appeals to that kid in me who still wants to catch 'em all).

That being said, it's my own little code that, unless truly pressed, I probably will never part with any of those vinyls, because their music has made such an impact on me that I literally have it with me forever, on my skin. But I also follow the same faux-code with my This Will Destroy You Self-Titled vinyl, because I wanted it so badly but could never find it, and my dad got it for me for Christmas. That album also just affected me deeply. Same with Fireworks' Gospel, and the Chariot's Long Live.

CDs I feel like I could get rid of and not really ever care, except for the really cool packaged ones I have like Razia's Shadow, Act 3 of the Dear Hunter, Infinity on High, and some of the lesser-printed EPs like Pneuma, Horror Show, etc.

I do download a lot of music. But, at some point, if the record/band really hits me, I at least attempt to buy the vinyl. I don't know what it is, but I don't think it's that complicated. We have the opportunity to almost instantly get something that has always cost money, for free. People, while I think we like to pretend we're mostly good, have a hard time resisting that. But yeah, that's my little stuff.
07:55 AM on 06/20/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
My dad has a collection of like a thousand vinyl records, and he's sold only one. Which he regrets to this day, even tho it wasn't that good. I think it was like a Ringo Starr solo record, something that would be pretty bad, but he gets the urge to hear it again and can't.

So now I can't sell any of my records ever, no matter what.
08:14 AM on 06/20/12
TenSpeed
User Info.
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness.

probably the most important piece of music i own.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS