AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Fearless Records News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Fearless Records
Inside AP.net

Pierce The Veil Faces Trouble Over Album Art?

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (06/23/12)
According to this post, Pierce The Veil allegedly hired an artist to recreate another artist's work for the album art for their new album, Collide With The Sky. The post says that the band wanted to license a particular artist's work for use on the album, but he wasn't available, so they had someone else recreate a very similar image. The comparisons of the two images are in the replies, and we're reaching out to Fearless Records for comment.
From The PostConceptually, thereís no mistaking these two images are identical. The first image, Escape, was created by Daniel Danger in 2011. Daniel is a self-employed freelance Illustrator known for his architectural and landscape-oriented motif.

Pierce the Veil had approached Daniel Danger this spring, as they were coordinating the release of their newest album Collide With the Sky. With two weeks before a print deadline, the album was still in need of a full design and layout. The initial request was to license Escape for use on the album cover, and work with the band/label on a layout. Daniel was not available at the time or within the timeframe Pierce the Veil required, so no contract was ever made between the artist and the band, and no permissions were signed.

Needless to say, when Daniel caught wind of the cover for Collide with the Sky, it was apparent that the band commissioned a different artist to essentially recreate a pre-existing image, refusing to entertain the possibility of another concept.

Itís not the first time something like this has happened to Daniel, and itís not the first time a situation like this has occurred with intellectual property. We all know faceless corporations steal from artists, but something about a group of musicians stealing from a potential peer comes off as a more focused blight.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 247
09:33 AM on 06/23/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.

09:36 AM on 06/23/12
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
I think it's different enough but what do I know.
09:36 AM on 06/23/12
TheSkyline
www.pillowtalktn.bandcamp .com
User Info.
Pretty shitty of them, the original picture is way cooler.
09:38 AM on 06/23/12
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
It's not different at all. What a fucking douche move by the band.
09:39 AM on 06/23/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
You could chop it up to not being a big deal, until you see that both images have a human flying away above the house. That's what makes it the same to me
09:42 AM on 06/23/12
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Wow, how shitty of them.
09:45 AM on 06/23/12
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
Wow, how shitty of them.
09:46 AM on 06/23/12
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
Yeahhh, they could be passed off as two different images until you see that they both have humans flying away. That's just shitty.
09:49 AM on 06/23/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
You could chop it up to not being a big deal, until you see that both images have a human flying away above the house. That's what makes it the same to me
Exactly what I thought.
09:56 AM on 06/23/12
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
Both concepts are the same. The first picture is much better in my opinion. Still shitty to take the concept from the original artist nonetheless.
09:56 AM on 06/23/12
parkerjamison
Where Am I?
User Info.
damn, first image is so much better.
09:57 AM on 06/23/12
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
exactly what they do with their music too
09:58 AM on 06/23/12
cholly
User Info.
this is the problem with the whole "art belongs to everyone" idea
09:58 AM on 06/23/12
galkain
NothingOriginal.net
User Info.
I would have enjoyed that first image so much more. May have even provoked me to pre-order the LP release. It's a shame they just couldn't think of another idea.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests