AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Communist Daughter  - Lions and Lambs EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Communist Daughter - Lions and Lambs EP

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (06/24/12)
Communist Daughter - Lions and Lambs EP
Record Label: Grain Belt Records
Release Date: July 10, 2012

To fully understand the EP Lions and Lambs from St. Paul, MN's Communist Daughter, one needs to consider the path that led to the album's creation. Band founder, principal songwriter and lead vocalist Johnny Solomon was low, way low. A few years after the dissolution of his critically-lauded band Friends Like These, Solomon succumbed to drug addiction, a path that ultimately led to his arrest and a jail sentence.

Upon getting out, he started to write songs and released Communist Daughter's debut LP Soundtrack to The End. While working on that album, he asked local musician Molly Moore to lend backing vocals. The two immediately formed a connection and got close. But Moore refused to get involved with Solomon until he became sober. Suddenly, music wasn't his only motivation. With hard work and a fierce determination, Solomon became sober and ultimately won over Moore. On July 10, the world gets to see the end result of Solomon's diligence and romance, when Lions and Lambs is released to the public.

And hot damn, is it something.

Vacillating between dusty Midwestern folk and swirls of reverb, the band sounds like Fleet Foxes with a twinge of Bon Iver. To be fair, the comparisons to Bon Iver are not really present, save for the atmospheric "City Love," which features lilting horns and a gauzy texture. But marrying Communist Daughter with Bon Iver would be a disservice. Truth be told, this is warm, supple, timeless indie-folk that is arguably as strong as anything released this year. Whether its the lifting album opener "Ghosts," an homage to fallen friends; or the near-perfect lead single "Speed of Sound (Remix)," which waxes rhapsodic about maturity and responsibility, there's something undeniably potent and powerful at work here.

Solomon and Moore share vocals on "Heart Attack," in which Solomon sings, "I know you deserve a better man." The melodic nature of the songs makes it an obvious choice for a second singe and seems to be the one track on Lions and Lambs that will most likely carry them forward. Solomon's themes of not being good enough for Moore are revisited on the EP's spartan closer "Don't Remember Me," in which he sings, "I'm 31, or I'm 17, almost dead, but almost clean, and I wish I didn't have to love you this way. Plenty of years and plenty of lies, the best ahead, but a few behind."

In addition to the first-rate musicianship, Lions and Lambs is most impacting for its brutal honesty and confessional nature. With the exception of the crackling rocker "Avery," every song on the EP serves as a window into Solomon's mind. That sense of candor and realism is what makes the EP so rewarding. Though it is only six songs, it just might be one of the year's most memorable releases. Solomon indeed has it correct on "Don't Remember Me" the best is still ahead. Lions and Lambs is proof.

Communist Daughter is Johnny Solomon: lead vocals, guitar
Molly Moore: vocals, percussion
Adam Switlick: bass
Al Weiers: guitar
Dillon DeMarchus: guitar/keys
Dan DeMuth: drums

Recommended If You Like Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, The Civil Wars, et al

Find Them Here http://communistdaughter.grainbeltrecords. com/

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
05:42 AM on 06/25/12
Quijiba
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this sounds good. I want some
06:18 AM on 06/25/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
In my experience if a band names themselves after a song by a band I love like NMH and they get reviewed on AP.net with high scores. they are typically worth the listen. Gonna check this out and comment later.

EDIT: So I've never heard of this band before but after a listen this may be one of my favorite releases this year! Great stuff and great review, go check it out now!
07:21 AM on 06/25/12
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
In my experience if a band names themselves after a song by a band I love like NMH and they get reviewed on AP.net with high scores. they are typically worth the listen. Gonna check this out and comment later.

EDIT: So I've never heard of this band before but after a listen this may be one of my favorite releases this year! Great stuff and great review, go check it out now!
Going to do the same because of this haha.
09:18 AM on 06/25/12
_veges_
User Info.
This sounds good, will be checking it out when it's released
01:40 PM on 06/26/12
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
User Info.
St. Paul represent. This is really good stuff. Anyone else hear lotsa Steel Train shining through?
07:13 PM on 06/26/12
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Many will be wary of an indie-folk band called Communist Daughter whose EP starts with a song called Ghosts. But I will give this a listen.
05:56 PM on 06/30/12
OHismiwiiknis
shup ut. jsut shup ut.
User Info.
Going to do the same because of this haha.
same here. ima check em out
05:59 AM on 07/02/12
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
So Zhang Ren from Dynasty Warriors who killed Pang Tong sells purses now? Don't know how to feel about this.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS