AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: In Remission - 06.26.12

In Remission - 06.26.12

Interviewed by
In Remission - 06.26.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

In Remission

www.facebook.com/inrem.music

Answered by: lead singer Daniel Lillie

1. How did you get your band name?

It isn't the cancer related reason - which of course most people see the connection with, but from the biblical sense - 'Forgiveness from Sin', when thinking about us as individuals, that's something we sorely need!

2. How did this band get started?

Originally as an instrumental three piece, in a small village, then I was added to the mix when I returned to said village from the big city with little cash but a pocket full of dreams, ha, then our bassist joined us recently after our other one moved on to higher education, the fool.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We're more influenced by genre over bands themselves, our drummer is into heavier rock, deathcore, things like that, I'm into classical/progressive stuff, electronica, one guitarist is into screamo while another is into indie, and our bassist is a tech metal genius....makes for quite a mix!

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Past wise, Queen would be awesome, just to see ol' Mercury in action up close and get involved in some rampant, questionable backstage activities. Present? I would say selfishly bands that play to massive audiences! Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, we wouldn't turn down those opportunities!

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Ginsters pasties and baked slices are a must. Have you had the Ginsters Meat Feast slice? Chicken, bacon, beef, sausage, cheese and tomato sauce all in one slice, that's like, all the food groups.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We try to focus on getting people to think about the human condition...whilst being thrown across a crowd with sweat streaming in to your eyes.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Lionel Messi, you could punch a kid and get away with it if you are Lionel Messi

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

You have to say God, right? That's like some contractual thing that they make you say? We would all have to say our parents, for putting two and two together in the no pants dance and allowing us the opportunity to win such an award

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I know many people would say things like getting rid of manufacturing music with shows like X Factor and such, and I share that view, but for me, a little controversially I guess I would call for bringing back the old ways of the music industry, of record label scouts doing just that - scouting for talent based on talent, not just marketability and existing fanbase. Although it's great that the digital revolution has transferred creative and distributive powers to the artist, it also creates a kind of monopoly whereby financial pushing power overides potential and ability. Most labels now only take acts further who have done the ground work for them in consistent touring and investing in their own fanbase, which of course is understandable - but a few bands I know of who have risen to national or international level have done so because their family were wealthy enough to support the band so that each individual member could dedicate themselves to touring etc - without the concerns of bills, rent, work etc. What of the band that creates beautiful music but is from a background of welfare?

10. Memorable tour experience?

One show was in our local town, and it was all set to be a fairly standard gig, but it filled up to capacity really quickly and everyone went mad for it. There was condensation dripping from the ceiling, people flying past us, people getting on the stage, it was chaotic and awesome.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

A soldier on the frontline of the independent music industry fortifying the intentions of those with something to say.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

I think Floodlights is a good crowd mover, we have a new track I-95, that throws caution to the wind and starts out with a dirty ball punching riff and doesn't let up, love starting shows like that!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

For me, I'm a snowboarding guy, so somewhere like Whistler, or Val Thorens. I'm a snow and ice guy over sun and beaches.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Awesome electro from the 80's, Visage, Erasure, music like that. It's good to hear some synth led stuff coming back in to the mix, always think of my childhood when I hear a meaty square synth.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Gotta be flight, isn't it? The ability to just go up in to the sky and go anywhere you want? Other than that, invincibility would be good, you shoot yourself from a cannon and technically fly, survive the landing, then walk to the bottom of the ocean - one size fits all

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

No rituals as such, but there is almost something involving junk food, really should lay off the McDonalds before thrashing ourselves around to oblivion.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I have double jointed fingers, which means they can bend all the way back to the back of my hand. Awesome for many things, like tricking people into thinking they have properly broken your fingers, or for the ladies....well, I'll let you imagine...

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think the time is right for acts like us, there is definitely a greater variety in what is being played and people are starting to respect creativity beyond the boundaries of the popular, Bring Me The Horizon is played regularly on daytime radio on the UK's main station, which is a good sign

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I'm a massive gamer, as guilty as I am to admit, I love massive, immersive role playing games, I can spend 4 or 5 hours at a time caning through some adventure or another.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I do a little bit of stand up comedy and improvisation in my spare time, but whether or not that's seen as a 'talent' is often at the mercy of the audience in attendance....

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests