AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Maroon 5 - Overexposed Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.06
Musicianship 3.21
Lyrics 2.88
Production 3.56
Creativity 2.65
Lasting Value 2.96
Reviewer Tilt 3.25
Average: 32%

Maroon 5 - Overexposed

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (06/26/12)
Maroon 5 - Overexposed
Record Label: A&M/Octone Records
Release Date: June 26th, 2012

Even though Maroon 5 always seemed to have a place in mainstream relevance, it was obvious that their powerhouse level fluctuated throughout the years. Maroon 5's breakout debut record, Songs About Jane, saw late success in 2004 (it was first released in 2002) reaching impressive heights with 3 top 20 singles and over 9 million copies sold worldwide. While their follow-ups hit benchmarks that some artists dream about (platinum and double platinum, respectively), they still never quite measured up to what Jane achieved, and what the band is capable of executing in general.

Maroon 5 agreed with that as well, and they decided to take action. After the lackluster performance that 2010's Hands All Over brought upon them, their biggest hit to date came in the form of standalone single "Moves Like Jagger." It was then that after 10 consecutive weeks of "Moves Like Jagger" sitting at the #1 spot that the band realized they were probably onto something. "Moves Like Jagger" marks the first time that Maroon 5 worked with an outside writer and multiple producers on material, and it clearly yielded phenomenal results. Their new album, Overexposed, follows that same formula. While co-writers can be the death of some artists -- it brought Maroon 5 to their creative peak and helped them construct their finest offering yet.

Frontman Adam Levine stated that Overexposed is the group's poppiest record that they've done, which is a bit of a silly statement given Maroon 5's previous pop credentials. His exclamations became easier to understand with the release of the lead single, "Payphone," which is by far the most explosive single in the band's catalog. Backed by massive production and pounding bass, Levine's soulful vocals make its triumphant return in the mid-tempo ballad. An unnecessary cameo from rapper Wiz Khalifa could have taken away from the song's accessibility, but its monster chorus keeps it on track and is the reason why it's dominating the airwaves.

Levine's vocals as a whole are still as masterful as ever, providing the lifeline to each number even when they aren't up to their conventional rock pace. Additionally, the co-penned Savan Kotecha (One Direction, Justin Bieber) track, "One More Night," carries a reggae-fueled tinge early on to Overexposed, and further affirms that it's more than just a run of the mill pop album. Other aspects include multiple ballads ("Love Somebody", "Sad"), some club smashes, ("Doin' Dirt", "Tickets") and even a few dance-rock hybrids (ôLucky Strike", "The Man Who Never Lied") -- all while still maintaining their contemporary edge.

While not every song is up to a "Moves Like Jagger" or "Payphone" standard hook-wise, the co-writers and producers never stopped breaking into new grounds for the band throughout the record. As a result, Maroon 5 is introduced to foreign boundaries they've yet to cross until now, which is a breath of fresh air for a group that not too long ago seemed to be on their way out. With the success that this album will inevitably bring, it's clear that overexposure is exactly what suits Maroon 5 best.

8.5/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) One More Night
02) Payphone (feat. Wiz Khalifa)
03) Daylight
04) Lucky Strike
05) The Man Who Never Lied
06) Love Somebody
07) Ladykiller
08) Fortune Teller
09) Sad
10) Tickets
11) Doin' Dirt
12) Saying Goodbye
Produced by: Benny Blanco, Sam Farrar, Shawn Kang, D.J. Kyriakides, Mason "MdL" Levy, Adam Levine, Maroon 5, Max Martin (also exec.), Noah "Mailbox" Passovoy, Matthew Rappold, J.R. Rotem, Sam Spiegel, Shellback, Ryan Tedder, James Valentine, Brian "Sweetwesty" West, Noel Zancanella

Maroon 5 is:
Adam Levine - vocals
Mickey Madden - bass
PJ Morton - keyboards
James Valentine - guitar
Matt Flynn - drums

Website - Amazon MP3 - Twitter

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
07:55 AM on 06/27/12
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
ew
08:05 AM on 06/27/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Nailed the review, dude's went into the next level of catchy for this one. Also falsetto, Adam Levine sounds like he's on helium for some of these tracks.
08:11 AM on 06/27/12
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
Not really super excited for this one. As a longtime fan, I'd rather pick up the SAJ 10 year anniversary edition than this, but we'll see.
08:41 AM on 06/27/12
suckitandsee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm a big closet Maroon 5 fan, and this album BLOWS.

However, the song Ladykiller is an absolute gem. Could very well be in my top 20 songs of the year.
08:43 AM on 06/27/12
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Was lucky enough to attend their Live at Letterman performance last night. Ironically, I can't stand "Moves Like Jagger" but dig a lot of these songs. The opening track is killer.
08:58 AM on 06/27/12
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
album is pretty solid Ladykiller is a great track though
09:02 AM on 06/27/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I haven't checked this out yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Still, I'm skeptical about you calling it their best, since I've pretty much assumed that they will never top Songs About Jane, and since I think "Moves Like Jagger" is their worst song. Hoping nothing on here sounds too much like that, biggest hit or not.
09:40 AM on 06/27/12
j4callen
User Info.
Doin' Dirt is my fav
10:21 AM on 06/27/12
Ferrari333SP
User Info.
This album is atrocious
10:31 AM on 06/27/12
falloutpanicboy
a face to call home
User Info.
Eh, the record is really catchy but I don't think it's better than Songs About Jane or even It Won't Be Soon Before Long. I get what Levine was saying though, while Maroon 5 has always been a pop band, this is their most pop effort yet. Still a very fun record to listen to.
10:36 AM on 06/27/12
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I haven't checked this out yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Still, I'm skeptical about you calling it their best, since I've pretty much assumed that they will never top Songs About Jane, and since I think "Moves Like Jagger" is their worst song. Hoping nothing on here sounds too much like that, biggest hit or not.
Not really any song like that one, maybe some similar vibes. Also dislike it, love this album.
10:37 AM on 06/27/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
oh my god
11:16 AM on 06/27/12
henry chinaski
User Info.
Payphone's good, the rest not so much.
11:21 AM on 06/27/12
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
The album is so solid. Has some of the catchiest stuff from them.

Absolutely love

- Payphone
- Daylight
- The Man Who Never Lied
- Beautiful Goodbye

Hoping 'The Man Who Never Lied' is their next single.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests