AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

City of Lights - 06.27.12

Interviewed by
City of Lights - 06.27.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

City of Lights

https://www.facebook.com/cityoflightsmusic

1. How did you get your band name?

Ash: We're called City of Lights because when Matt first phoned Sean to begin the band, he was away working in Paris, which is known as the City of Lights.

2. How did this band get started?

Matt: Me and Sean had written songs together for years growing up, but we were both in separate bands and although we always discussed starting a band together, we never felt we had the time to dedicate to it. In 2011, I was working over in Paris, when I gave Sean a call telling him about his ideas and that he wanted him to join. We agreed to do it on the condition that it was 110% or nothing at all. About a month later we quit our jobs and went out as an acoustic duo playing our music to everyone and anyone. We always knew we wanted to be a full band, but finding the right members was key. Ash (Sean's brother) joined the band on the bass about 6 months later and then Alex completed the line-up 3 months later.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Individually, we are all have very different inspirations. But as a band I guess Snow Patrol, Cold Play, Kings of Leon & The Dunwells are in there

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Sean: For me it would have to be Bruce Springsteen

Ash: Playing with the The Ataris would be a dream

Alex: Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin

Matt: Bon Iver

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Sean: Unfortunately this isn't going to be a great advert for healthy eating. We do eat a lot of junk when on the road. McDonalds is the most frequently used I think.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Matt: We just love playing music. Nothing comes close. We try to write songs that really mean things to us, so every time we perform them they are sang with passion.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Alex: To be honest, if anyone was to spend a day with us, they'd soon realise that we are the least athletic band in the world, so just the thought of trading places sounds depressing.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Sean: Our friends and families. Anyone who has supported or helped the band in any way. Loom Studios for the hard work they put into our album. Each other. And some of us would thank God also

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Sean: I would ban the use of auto-tune, pitch shifters and drum samples.

Ash: I'd change the fashion side of things, I don't understand why everyone has to look the same to enjoy a style of music.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Matt:Touring is amazing. We've met some amazing people, that we have become really close friends with. Every where we go is different, there's never a dull moment when on the road. Before we had a van, we would have to get the coach at half past 6am and get home at half past 5am the next morning just to get to our london shows and back.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Alex: AP.net is a great place for bands and musicians to showcase their talents. It helps a band get heard, which is always a good thing.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Matt: I think all of us would agree on Did I Stutter from our album, but playing new songs is always fun too.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Sean: To be honest with spending so much time travelling around, it's quite nice to be able to spend some time back at home with our families and friends.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Matt: The Beatles.. I used to pretend I was one in the playground at school haha.. and the early Blink 182 stuff

Sean: My dad was always playing music from as long as I can remember, so my childhood memory of music would be like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Springsteen etc

Alex: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, that kind of thing

Ash: I really began loving music when the pop punk era began happening. I miss those days.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Matt: I would teleport so that touring would be come so easy!!

Sean: I would just be happy if everyone just wore super hero costumes all the time! I would honestly love that. You don't need any powers, just ask Batman.

Ash: I'd be the guy that turned everything he touches into skittles I think

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Alex: Not really.. We just make sure we're all motivated and excited to be going out and playing.

Sean: I always wear a crucifix or have it in my pocket for every gig.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Matt: Originally we were going to name the band 'It's them or you kid'

Alex: Yeah and that one of our most recent songs was actually a chorus that Sean and Matt demo'd about 5 years ago.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Sean: Yeah definitely. And I have to say, a lot of smaller radios really do a lot to help bands get heard too. They definitely deserve a mention.

Matt: We always try write songs that we feel are radio friendly. It's still strange any time we hear one of our songs being played on the radio though.

Ash: Yeah, it just seems surreal. But it makes you proud too.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Matt: I like playing Assassins Creed on the XBox, watching films, having a night out with friends & family.

Sean: I love my XBox, I'm also a daddy of 3 girls so they take up most of my spare time. I also love looking after my pet lizards and tree frogs.

Ash: I like taking photos, and eating out. The owners all know me really well I enjoy it so much. I also like long drives.

Alex: I actually spend most of my spare time playing my guitar, and hanging out with my girlfriend.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Matt: I used to see myself as quite a good skateboarder. But looking back, I was actually awful!

Sean: Errr I can eat full multipacks of crisps in one go.. but I'm not really sure if that's a talent?

Ash: I can do one one-handed chin up. It took years of rigorous training.

Alex: I'm quite good at cooking.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums