AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Sleeping With Sirens - If You Were A Movie,... Album Cover

Sleeping With Sirens - If You Were A Movie,...

Reviewed by
Sleeping With Sirens - If You Were A Movie, This Would Be Your Soundtrack
Release Date: June 26, 2012
Record Label: Rise
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Admittedly, I don't know much about Sleeping With Sirens. I remember their last album was pretty catchy and had a cutesy grammatically-incorrect title, that Kellin Quinn was on the cover of AltPress once, and that they have a flag they wave on stage. So, yeah, I totally have the proper credentials to review their new acoustic EP If You Were A Movie, This Would Be Your Soundtrack. Technically their third release for Rise, it follows up the success of their second album Let's Cheers To This. It's a good marketing move by the up-and-coming band, as it's a way to stay in the minds of ADD music fans while building anticipation for their upcoming third album. But don't expect some stale, half-assed release with basic acoustic structures and a lack of creativity. If You Were A Movie, This Would Be Your Soundtrack is an opportunity for Sleeping With Sirens to branch out from the usual stereotypes of the genre they're in, as I believe this style plays more into the band's strengths.

Throughout the 5 song EP, the band offers up three new tracks as well as re-interpretations of two of their most popular songs. It's a nice alternative to listeners who may have been turned off by the bands aggressive Saosin-leaning style of rock, as this EP shows off an entirely different side of Sleeping With Sirens (something they hinted at on their previous album Let's Cheers To This) The opening track “James Dean & Audrey Hepburn” (a re-worked version of their blazing hit “If I'm James Dean, You're Audrey Hepburn) sets the tone of the entire EP as Quinn shows why he is one of the fastest rising vocalists in the scene. His vocals really stands out on EP highlight “Roger Rabbit,” an R&B infused track that balances Jesse Lawson's gentle strum with a pulsating electronic drum loop and Quinn's silky smooth vocal delivery.

“Stomach Tied In Knots” is an incredibly catchy lil' ditty, as handclaps and group “whoa oh-oh's” echo out behind Quinn's vibrant falsetto. “Don't You Ever Forget About Me” wouldn't feel out of place on one of Dashboard Confessional's earlier releases with its string section spanning over the second half of the song as Quinn's vocals add some edge. And while the attacking nature of “With Ears To See and Eyes To Hear” is all but gone on its acoustic re-imaging (bongos play a prominent role here), the song's energetic soul is still in place, as the sting in Quinn's lyrics ("Liar, liar/You'll pay for your sins") will still resonate with fans.

I was fairly impartial to Sleeping With Sirens' music until hearing this acoustic EP. While it's not high in concept or originality, it's perfect for those warm summer night drives that will have you singing your guts out. If You Were A Movie, This Would Be Your Soundtrack shows that Sleeping With Sirens won't be confined to one style or genre of music, that they're more than just power chords and poppy choruses. Throughout If You Were A Movie, This Would Be Your Soundtrack, Sleeping With Sirens continues to show off their knack for creating killer pop melodies while displaying some versatility in their songwriting. It's easy to hear why this band has been deemed one of the next big things in the scene.

7.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
01:31 AM on 06/28/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
Kellin's a cool dude, glad to see this turned out well.
02:10 AM on 06/28/12
Ann Arbor
voyeuristic to the trackmarks
User Info.
03:31 AM on 06/28/12
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
User Info.
Good review Drew. Any idea who the random female singer is on the fourth track?
03:38 AM on 06/28/12
Sinkytown
Slowking
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
...and on the other four, amirite?
03:59 AM on 06/28/12
InfiniteArms
Let me be your superhero
User Info.
...and on the other four, amirite?
06:00 AM on 06/28/12
Ohaidere
User Info.
Will listen to when I get the chance.
07:29 AM on 06/28/12
Quijiba
User Info.
i very much enjoyed this release. Review hits it dead on. Quinn has a killer voice
07:47 AM on 06/28/12
Andy43110
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review Drew. Any idea who the random female singer is on the fourth track?
Her name is Jessica Ess. She does a lot of covers on YouTube, covered one of their songs, they saw it and loved it, and then asked if she would sing on the EP
08:51 AM on 06/28/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
songs like track 3 and 4 give me such a nostalgic feeling, they remind me of the mid 00s emo acoustic releases from bands like DC (like I mentioned) and FOB.
09:26 AM on 06/28/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
thought it was 3 old songs, then i realized i'd just watched this video for "stomach tied in knots" a lot haha.

10:11 AM on 06/28/12
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
This is actually really well done.
10:34 AM on 06/28/12
HeyItsAllyssa
Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose
User Info.
I was pleasantly surprised with this album. Drew is right it's a sure fit for those quiet drives on summer nights. But it's just a good calm feel good record. Kellin's voice is just so soothing on this record.
11:51 AM on 06/28/12
DemBitties
I ended up as food for wolves
User Info.
Now, why can't all their albums be like this?
01:52 PM on 06/28/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
This album blew me away--especially tracks 3 and 4! This definitely got me excited for their third full album.

And its a much better choice than a cheesy reissue because you keep on losing half of your band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos