AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Memphis May Fire - Memphis May Fire EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 6.25
Production 8
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.38
Lyrics 8
Production 8.13
Creativity 8.13
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Memphis May Fire - Memphis May Fire EP

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (11/26/07)
Memphis May Fire Memphis May Fire EP
Record Label: Trustkill Records
Release Date: December 4, 2007

Believe me, I’m tired of being wishy-washy. I just can’t seem to make my mind up about the pussified hardcore contained in oh-so-popular sing/scream bands. Maybe the genre isn’t quite as bland as it’s critics say. (Though, in all honestly, post-hardcore-progressive-nu-metal is probably just as bland as they say.) Memphis May Fire seem to skip over the pesky question of repetition by offering an EP to the masses. From afar, this EP seems quick and riotous and charging. But damnit if I don’t have to ruin all that by bringing out my comically oversized magnifying glass (I bought it at a gas station, along with this). Such relationships never last: “I just don’t like who you are anymore?!”

Usually when deciding which songs to highlight I choose the ones that caught my attention while doing other things. That’s nearly impossible here. Each song has varying increments of ball-grabbing singing and growls from, apparently, a very hungry, very deranged wolf. The breakdowns come right where you expect them, but their force is appreciated (especially the end of “Cowbell’s Makin’ A Comeback”). If MMF were to win any points for originality (which, just to be clear, they won’t) it would be because of Jeremy Grisham’s drumming. He drops hip hop-influenced beats and never becomes a slave to the crazed double bass. At certain points, MMF’s Texas heritage shines through in southern-fried riffage (Ah! A cliché!), like on “Therapy Caravan Of The Fair Room.” The song is also notable for being nearly devoid of the heavily annoying, “clean” singing element. An extended breakdown will have the words, “The four horsemen of the apocalypse are coming,” tattooed onto your brain. Ok, so maybe there were some things to discuss. Lucky you.

“History Of Mercia” wins the best track award. Although, I’m not sure why. It could be the stronger-than-average melody or bratty yelling. Perhaps the hypnotic riffs put me in a trance. Whatever the reason, the song is a winner. Memphis May Fire will make a majority of the kids you hate (because, somehow, they get all the hot girls) very happy. And I’m cool with them in small doses. I knew exactly what I was in for and MMF delivered. So in that very basic sense, I’m pleased. My tune may definitely change once five tracks become 11, however. I’ll handle that dilemma once it arrives. For now I’m a decently happy camper.

Recommended If You Like: A Day To Remember, Blessthefall, certain famous X-Men story arcs, Enter Shikari, Warhol-isms

Dat yo spoon?www.myspace.com/memphismayfire

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
08:09 PM on 11/26/07
underdog217
underdog217
User Info.
i was pleasently suprised by this band. good review
10:37 PM on 11/26/07
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
I listened through this once, and I was only interested in the first track. I'll have to give it another spin.

One of my teachers has that exact calculator.
10:53 PM on 11/26/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I love that there is a site called "great big stuff" where they just sell stuff that is bigger versions of smaller things. In my opinion, "great big stuff" is what the American Dream is all about.
05:50 AM on 11/27/07
apresnuledeluge
Never too fat to fly
User Info.
Damn you and your distracting product placement...
09:39 AM on 11/27/07
LikeACat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
E.P. is really really bland but does have hints of southern goodness.

These guys I think can really shine eventually but prob will never get there due to being on TrustKill.

Here's to the birth of another cookie cutter trustxrise band.
10:21 AM on 11/27/07
thefonz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love this CD
10:38 AM on 11/27/07
Thug_Nasty
www.GridPins.com
User Info.
love this cd. love this band
11:08 AM on 11/27/07
timographic
User Info.
this is partymusic
11:14 AM on 11/27/07
mjfitzge
User Info.
i thought they were a joke band after reading their bio. check it out for a good laugh: http://www.purevolume.com/memphismayfire
11:24 AM on 11/27/07
Killakx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
E.P. is really really bland but does have hints of southern goodness.

These guys I think can really shine eventually but prob will never get there due to being on TrustKill.

Here's to the birth of another cookie cutter trustxrise band.

What is with everyone always dissing Trustkill? It's a good label, I don't get it??
12:36 PM on 11/27/07
NormaJoel
dumbass ate a scorpion!
User Info.
sounds like A Day To Remember?

uhhh,
A Day To Remember aren't pussy like this band.
but this band isnt horrible.

everyone go listen to A Day To Remember
12:47 PM on 11/27/07
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
sounds like A Day To Remember?

uhhh,
A Day To Remember aren't pussy like this band.
but this band isnt horrible.

everyone go listen to A Day To Remember

And do you know how many people would call A Day to Remember a "pussy" band because of all the clean vocals and songs like "The Price We Pay"? Don't get me wrong, I love For Those Who Have Heart, but what you said is pretty stupid.
12:52 PM on 11/27/07
brendank
gnar
User Info.
i liked this a lot, fun to listen to
01:51 PM on 11/27/07
maxrabkin
Josh Hamilton: The Natural
User Info.
These guys changed my mind on the North Dallas Scene. I actually enjoy them. Lose all the clean vox though, and you'd have a southern winner.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums