Username
Password

04:11 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
To this day, I still don't understand why anyone would choose an Android over an iPhone. Not hating, I just don't get it.
06:00 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
I thought the same thing until I got my Samsung Galaxy II. My friends with iPhones even admit it's just as good if not better. Plus the screen is so much bigger.

For real? I've never used that phone so I can't comment on it, but no Android I've ever used has even come close to an iPhone for me. I'll have to give it a test drive.
06:19 PM on 06/28/12 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Because android is a far far superior operating system?

How exactly?

I'm not sure which model is, but a friend of mine has a Samsung Android (just got it earlier this year), and it's incredibly slow and clunky feeling. Apps are always crashing, the operating system seems slow and laggy, the camera takes forever to take a photo, among other things.

The iPhone 4S is hands down the best phone I've ever used, in my opinion. Again, not hating.
07:59 PM on 09/22/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
For me, Android vs Apple is a no brainer, Android has been far superior for a while now, the sales figures dont lie.

Im a big fan of HTC, ive had 5 in a row now, just recently upgraded last month to the HTC One m8, and its frikkin awesome.
The sales figures of multiple phones a year versus one or two? Makes sense.
08:16 PM on 09/22/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Yes, but comparing strictly software, 84.7% users of smartphones prefer Android compared to the 11.7% smartphone users who like iOS. (http://www.techtimes.com/articles/13...hone-sales.htm)

Windows may be across multiple hardware devices, but that doesn't mean that Windows doesn't do better than OS X.
Due to the incredible number of devices running Android. It would be a fair comparison if iOS were available from dozens of manufacturers.
10:01 PM on 09/22/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
And yet people compare Windows to OSX all the time?

Obviously I'm aware of this, that's why I said strictly from a software point of view.

I'm just saying, the comparison is horribly flawed and entirely meaningless.
10:22 PM on 09/22/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
I dunno, iPhones are pretty similarly priced to most android phones, so why not? The customer has the choice which OS they prefer, it's not like they HAVE to buy android just because there are so many.

Almost everyone I know well who uses an Android phone does so because they got it free on contract, many of them parents and folks who can't be bothered to spend the money on an iPhone.
12:54 AM on 09/23/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Uuuuh iPhone is free on contract too.

2 year old devices can be. Last year's model is still $149 on contract here, whereas a multitude of Android phones are free or half that price. What don't you understand?
01:04 AM on 09/23/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Rude much? Quit the aggressive tone eh pal?

In THIS country, the last model (not the iPhone 6) is available on contract on pretty much any network for bugger all. As are a lot of android devices.

My post clearly stated I was referring to people I know, who obviously live in this country, where year old iPhones are not free on contract. Starting your response with "uuuhhh" indicates you thought I misspoke, and I did not. That's all.
03:40 PM on 11/29/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
A lot of regular phone users were also content using feature phones in the in the late 2000's and didn't care about smartphones. What is your point? You are trying to argue something I'm not. I'm not saying that iPhones don't fit other peoples needs, I'm saying that Android is able to fit a wider range of peoples needs, as evident by the 85% market share. Also, please tell me how Android phones are terrible out of the box. Without parroting Apple's marketing, what makes an equivalent flagship Android phone, or even a mid-range Android device now at days, much more difficult to use since it's "not a hard concept to grasp?"

Coming from many Android developers, yes it is.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2014-a...190026012.html

Android fragmentation is just a poor excuse for lazy developers.

I really don't want to get into another useless debate here, but market share doesn't mean a damn thing when you have 1868393 billion different devices available, plenty of which are horribly cheap pieces of junk. I serve hundreds of people a week that have horrible Android devices that they got for free because who have no idea how to operate a modern day smartphone, many of which I don't even recognize.

I'm sure you will have some anti-Apple rebuttal to spout, but market share is entirely irrelevant when you are comparing a company who puts one new device on shelves a year to an operating system that is open to nearly everyone else. The day one Android phone outsells a new iPhone is the day you will be able to legitimately say that it suits more people's needs.

This coming from someone who legitimately does not give a shit what phone you or anyone else uses, and was sort of kind of considering a Note 4 before using it and disliking it.
01:55 PM on 11/30/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
I never get this argument. So, should we not compare Windows to Mac OS X, then? So many different manufacturers make PCs, so the large market share being taken up somehow makes Windows' success not count as much?.

Their success is great, but market share becomes a completely irrelevant talking point in a debate comparing companies with vastly different approaches.
04:52 PM on 11/30/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Prior to Android taking the lead all I heard was market share market share market share. Then it was app store downloads vs play store. After the play store took the lead in that too it become some crap about apple customers being more valuable.
From who? YouTube commenters? Surely not anyone with half a brain.

Also, "took the lead, took the lead, took the lead." That's what happens when, once again, there are 184929 billion different handsets made available per year. My grandmother owns an Android phone that she got for free from a kiosk in the mall. She refers to it as her mobile phone and has no idea what an iPhone even is. Naturally, I'm not saying this is the bulk of users, so please don't attempt to spin it that way, but you're spouting off figures that are largely irrelevant.
05:08 PM on 11/30/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
From analysts touting Apples brand, from posters on this site, and people talking about Apple vs Android in general and from Apple themselves. And I'm not sure how I'm spouting off figures that are irrelevant when I mentioned no figures in that post but hell I'll bite, what metric should we measure then and while that metric still matter if and when Apple loses the lead in it?
There is hardly a need for any kind of comparison to begin with, but for argument's sake, lets say when any one device from any manufacturer leapfrogs Apple in these footraces?
07:25 PM on 12/01/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm sick of people saying this kind of garbage, along with Apple doesn't and never cared about market share. Apple has always bragged and boasted about the number of apps downloaded from the App Store in keynotes and press releases when they were in the lead. Tech sites and other well respected news sites have always compared those numbers with that of the Google's Play Store. It's absurd to write off all these people that compare these figures as idiots just because you think its unfair.

And about market share...
iPhones in 2010 @27:26

Steve Jobs: "The iPhone's market share was over 3 times that of Android."

iOS devices in 2011 @37:58

iPads in 2011 @19:12

As you can see, Apple themselves made these comparisons when leading against Android. Now tell me more about how you think these people have half a brain.

This is the second time you are talking about this and I don't get it. How does that metric matter more than operating system market share when comparing the two? Apple doesn't allow it's customers to have choices. So if a person wants only a iOS device, they are stuck with barely the option of 2 per year. And before last year, iOS lovers had only one option. This is the reason, but not entirely, why the iPhone sells more than any other phone, but isn't able to suit the needs of most people. Meanwhile, if you only want a new Android phone, each year there are tons of phones made by different manufacturers competing with each other. You are greatly underestimating the importance of the operating system.

Do you realize how stupid it sounds to say the best selling smartphone in the world doesn't suit the needs of most people? The fact that the alternative can be found on hundreds of devices yearly, none of which suit the needs of a larger group of people than the iPhone does, is exactly why the market share metric is irrelevant. Of course companies are going to spout of any sort of encouraging number worthy of a pat on the back. I'm the consumer, one who doesn't care about Apple, Android, or anything else and simply wants what I feel is the best phone available today, which allows me to see just how ridiculous the debate about market share is to begin with. It's no different than saying the Big Mac doesn't suit the needs of most people because there are a hundred million other burger joints out there trying to take down big, bad McDonald's. It's an incredibly stupid and baseless metric.

Furthermore, I have no idea why you keep referencing other talking points Apple has mentioned throughout their history, as I have referenced none of them.
09:09 PM on 12/01/14 
User Info.
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
Toronto, ON
Male - 26 Years Old
Um, no, that doesn't sound stupid at all because the majority of the smartphone population does not use iOS for their needs, meaning the majority of smartphone users feel that iOS does not appropriately suit their needs in the way that another manufacturer might.

He used those references because you assumed that only idiots in Youtube comments would care about things like this, when in these videos, you can clearly see that even the CEO of Apple used to brag about market share, meaning that your "Surely not anyone with half a brain" comment is incorrect. You're the one who asked "From who?" He answered your question.

I was referring to metrics like App Store downloads, none of which I have ever referenced. The entire concept of the debate itself is horrifically stupid.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos