Password

03:00 AM on 07/05/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old

newest home screen and lock screen

Yeah my buddy has a One X, I've had a bit of a play on it and it seems alright but I've not used it too much. I'm going to go into the shop and see what the score is, one of my friends girlfriends just got the new Sony Xperia and he is raving about it.

The thing I'm not keen about on the One is having all your social network stuff as your homescreen, not my bag. Is Sense something you can just uninstall or do you need to put a custom ROM on it?

This is my home screen and my lock screen at the moment and I'm still stock. All you have to do is install a custom launcher like Nova/Apex etc.
04:40 AM on 07/05/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
done
No Avatar Selected
This is my home screen and my lock screen at the moment and I'm still stock. All you have to do is install a custom launcher like Nova/Apex etc.

Cheers, looks rad.

I think I'm gonna go for the HTC One, one of the things that has really swayed me is the aluminum body and all the good stuff I've read about the general construction of the phone vs the sammy ones
04:45 AM on 07/05/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
Cheers, looks rad.

I think I'm gonna go for the HTC One, one of the things that has really swayed me is the aluminum body and all the good stuff I've read about the general construction of the phone vs the sammy ones
yep,the reason I went HTC over Samsung was the build quality and general aesthetics. I think Samsungs are too plasticy, good phones though.
09:09 PM on 07/06/13 
User Info.
sosayweall
Male - 45 Years Old
yep,the reason I went HTC over Samsung was the build quality and general aesthetics. I think Samsungs are too plasticy, good phones though.

I'd say the build quality of the S3 or S4 is the same as the One X and One, maybe even better since the One doesn't use anodized aluminum and the One X is made of the same material as all of the Galaxy's (polycarbonate), but has a unibody construction. I've read somewhere that devices with a removable back allows the shock of dropping it to be absorbed better, since the energy gets transmitted to the back cover as it flies off along with the battery. This causes less shock to be absorbed by the more important internals.
So I don't think you mean build quality at all. I think the complaints in reviews and such mostly stem from Samsung deciding to use a shiny finish.
The One and is the better looking device though. However, Touchwiz is a tad better than Sense. Also, I like using my 64GB microSD card and the lack of a microSD card slot and non-removable battery are pretty big turn offs for me and many others. Plus, you can always change that glossy back cover with an aluminum or less shiny one. Personally, I'm waiting for the Note 3.
09:24 PM on 07/06/13 
User Info.
ominousnimbus
No Avatar Selected
Male - 26 Years Old
Personally, I don't understand the appeal of HTC these days. Their and Samsung's design philosophies have become radically different, and I strongly prefer Samsung's in almost every category because it's more practical. About the only rationale I ever hear for the One and One X over the S3/4 is that they "look sexier" or "feel better." I don't even agree with that part, but even if it were true, I wouldn't care much. Like any rational owner of a $700 pocket computer, I'm going to put a decent case on it, anyway. Thus, the removable back is not only rendered moot (in terms of appearance and feel during everyday use), it's actually a good thing in many ways. Removable battery and microSD are also huge boons, in my eyes. I've got my entire 4000-song music library and a ton of TV shows on my 64 GB card.

It's weird that most of the smaller manufacturers are moving toward iPhone clones in their designs, while the juggernaut Samsung has stayed the course with more practical devices. But I'm sure as hell not complaining. Hope they keep it up. (Happy S3 owner here).

BTW, Nova Launcher Prime is where it's at. My ROM (CM10.1) came bundled with Trebuchet, which looks superficially the same, but was inexplicably laggy. Nova simply flies and makes the phone a joy to use.
01:05 AM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
I'd say the build quality of the S3 or S4 is the same as the One X and One, maybe even better since the One doesn't use anodized aluminum and the One X is made of the same material as all of the Galaxy's (polycarbonate), but has a unibody construction. I've read somewhere that devices with a removable back allows the shock of dropping it to be absorbed better, since the energy gets transmitted to the back cover as it flies off along with the battery. This causes less shock to be absorbed by the more important internals.
So I don't think you mean build quality at all. I think the complaints in reviews and such mostly stem from Samsung deciding to use a shiny finish.
The One and is the better looking device though. However, Touchwiz is a tad better than Sense. Also, I like using my 64GB microSD card and the lack of a microSD card slot and non-removable battery are pretty big turn offs for me and many others. Plus, you can always change that glossy back cover with an aluminum or less shiny one. Personally, I'm waiting for the Note 3.
Yeah no the build choices they made for the s4 were terrible they never ever in a million years should have stayed with the plastic. I've researched both the one x and the s3 when I was buying them I know exactly what I'm talking about. I definitely mean build quality, its the one the HTC has done much better than Samsung in. The HTC's are far better for build quality and aesthetics. Both TouchWiz and Sense are fucking horrible anyway so that point is moot and I don't care for using SD cards or removing the battery so yeah HTC's recent offerings >>> Samsungs
08:28 AM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
ominousnimbus
No Avatar Selected
Male - 26 Years Old
Yeah no the build choices they made for the s4 were terrible they never ever in a million years should have stayed with the plastic. I've researched both the one x and the s3 when I was buying them I know exactly what I'm talking about. I definitely mean build quality, its the one the HTC has done much better than Samsung in. The HTC's are far better for build quality and aesthetics. Both TouchWiz and Sense are fucking horrible anyway so that point is moot and I don't care for using SD cards or removing the battery so yeah HTC's recent offerings >>> Samsungs
What precisely do you mean by "build quality," then, if you're so adamant? Build quality and aesthetics are two different things. If there are tons of drop tests or other durability tests that indicate the HTC fares better, for example, that would actually be an indicator of build quality.
08:32 AM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
What precisely do you mean by "build quality," then, if you're so adamant? Build quality and aesthetics are two different things. If there are tons of drop tests or other durability tests that indicate the HTC fares better, for example, that would actually be an indicator of build quality.
drop tests do show that Samsungs are more brittle. does it really fucking matter that I prefer one brand to the other? I simply don't like the build quality or the materials used in the construction of Samsung phones.
09:23 AM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
sosayweall
Male - 45 Years Old

Your One X is the same plastic. What proof do you have that the One X's build quality is better than the S3's? I frequent many Android sites and communities and many people seem to use build quality as "it looks pretty" or feels "premium" in the hand, which is silly. It's becoming a pet peeve of mine. Drop tests are pointless because what it all comes down to is luck. There are too many variables that get unaccounted for. I'd like to see actual durabilty tests. I agree that Touchwiz and Sense are both lacking but in different ways. I use Action Launcher which is great. The shutter and cover options are genius.
09:58 AM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
Your One X is the same plastic. What proof do you have that the One X's build quality is better than the S3's? I frequent many Android sites and communities and many people seem to use build quality as "it looks pretty" or feels "premium" in the hand, which is silly. It's becoming a pet peeve of mine. Drop tests are pointless because what it all comes down to is luck. There are too many variables that get unaccounted for. I'd like to see actual durabilty tests. I agree that Touchwiz and Sense are both lacking but in different ways. I use Action Launcher which is great. The shutter and cover options are genius.
a) i don't give a shit about your opinion, I prefer HTC's, fuck me right? b) he mentioned drop tests.

I really don't give a shit that you like samsungs and you shouldn't give a shit that i prefer another brand. You have your opinion, I have mine and water is wet.
12:11 PM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
SomedayTheFire, calm down bro. You're the only person getting angry in this conversation, people are just asking you questions and discussing to get a better understanding of why you prefer the One. Nobody "gives a shit" that you prefer one over the other, they're both fantastic phones.
12:15 PM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm not angry? not giving a shit =/= angry.
12:17 PM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
You just don't seem rather calm with the way you've been dropping "fuck" and "fucking", but I guess that doesn't always necessarily mean someone's in a pissy mood.
12:18 PM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
i can fucking talk whatever fucking way i fucking want have you never fuckign talked to an irish person before. that's how i talk. calm or not.
01:54 PM on 07/07/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Considering my Dad's side of the family and I are very Irish, yes I have lol

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music