Username
Password

01:26 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
Also, I feel like a lot of 17-18 year old suburban white kids are especially entranced by the Kerouacian sense of road trips and life-changing experiences and "in that moment I swear we were infinite" and Bukowski and Hunter S. Thompson and stuff like that. So I feel like that attitude towards what he's doing shouldn't be all that surprising.
01:29 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
StephenYoung
dumb
Châteauguay, Quebec
Male - 22 Years Old
Also, I feel like a lot of 17-18 year old suburban white kids are especially entranced by the Kerouacian sense of road trips and life-changing experiences and "in that moment I swear we were infinite" and Bukowski and Hunter S. Thompson and stuff like that. So I feel like that attitude towards what he's doing shouldn't be all that surprising.

I agree. Although I doubt most 17-18 year olds read any of that stuff.

Not to mention, I don't understand the appeal of touring in a shitty van, playing to 5 kids in every city and eating shit for two weeks. If/when I tour, I'm gonna make sure we have enough money to not live like bums, and make sure that we don't play shows for the sake of it, but play shows with bands that will actually bring people in.
01:31 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
Omaha, Nebraska
Male - 19 Years Old

see: all of my friends that obsess over that stuff
01:33 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
when i graduated high school i played guitar hero: world tour
01:34 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
butrfli1234
I'M ON FIRE
Milwaukee WI
Female - 25 Years Old
I still want to spend 6 months in Europe.
01:38 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
StephenYoung
dumb
Châteauguay, Quebec
Male - 22 Years Old
so join handguns
01:41 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
nicksteinborn
The Wonder Years / Nick
Hatfield, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
I wouldn't necessarily say it's "condescending" but treating it like touring is the best thing ever, not to mention the countless statuses and tweets about touring and being in new cities and stuff is preachy, annoying and straight up needy.

Personally, I think that going to College and University probably made me a better musician/person. When I graduated high school, I listened to shit bands, had a shit attitude and said shitty things. 3 years later, I've met tons of new people without the small town attitude, opened myself up to new music, new perspectives on being in a band/writing songs/etc. I wonder how many of those pop punk (same goes for metalcore) bands who play really generic, uninspired (but emotional/angsty/) music just finished high school and did their own thing. It takes a special type of person to evolve and mature without going to college, methinks.

When you look for example, at pop punk bands who are doing something cool like The Wonder Years, Title Fight... I can't think of many more, those are bands who went to school and stuff. Maybe it's just that when I see most people from my town who did nothing after high school but work and whatever, they just seem immature and ignorant, and I have a feeling that a lot of musicians who do the same thing act the same way.

I didn't go to school and I don't intend to. The rest of my band did, but I'd argue that a few of their degrees will end up going completely unused. Living a decent life does not require a 4-8 year degree. At all. If he opts to not go to school to tour, who gives a shit? Maybe he'll be burnt out on touring in two years and go back to school then. And why question a parent on why they're proud of their kid? That's entirely up to them. He isn't doing anything wrong and he's enjoying himself.
01:42 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
butrfli1234
I'M ON FIRE
Milwaukee WI
Female - 25 Years Old
Idk would they like going to museums? I want to see every great piece of art on that continent.
01:44 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
Windsor, OH
Male
the kid is living his dream, who cares if people on the internet dont like that.

I would have put off school to go on tour too
01:46 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
StephenYoung
dumb
Châteauguay, Quebec
Male - 22 Years Old
I didn't go to school and I don't intend to. The rest of my band did, but I'd argue that a few of their degrees will end up going completely unused. Living a decent life does not require a 4-8 year degree. At all. If he opts to not go to school to tour, who gives a shit? Maybe he'll be burnt out on touring in two years and go back to school then. And why question a parent on why they're proud of their kid? That's entirely up to them. He isn't doing anything wrong and he's enjoying himself.

I'd argue that there's far more to going to school than just getting a degree. Most of what I wrote agrees with most of this anyways. I have no clue on why or what made you want to join a band, but it's pretty clear that you're more than some kid who wants to get into a van and tour for the sake of it, you're a pretty damn good musician in a pretty good band that had the potential in getting big, and has the potential of getting bigger.

My main point was that tour is you wanna, but at least have a solid plan. Secondly, parents can be as proud as they want, but preachy internet attitude grates me.

Anyways, I feel like I said all that I wanted to, and that i'm afraid this is gonna escalate into me sounding like I'm shitting on this kid/getting into an argument.
01:50 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
Sakarazu
Hello
CT
Male - 18 Years Old
Glad for Vito's insightful responses!
01:51 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
id still like to discuss my student of the month getting high
01:52 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
StephenYoung
dumb
Châteauguay, Quebec
Male - 22 Years Old
I was "Athlete of the month" several times in grade school, sober AF
01:53 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
Sakarazu
Hello
CT
Male - 18 Years Old
But really, the issue isn't really that he's touring and not going to school, tons of people make that choice and while I wouldn't it really doesn't make a difference to me. When people act like they're better than me because they're traveling and getting the "experience" of touring is the issue....and yeah, you guys in TWY's degrees ended up being largely unused but how many bands get to the point you're at? And idunno I just feel like there's more value and lower risk to going to college than putting it off to tour. But yeah, none of that really makes a difference to me if you're not a douche about it
01:54 PM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
Sakarazu
Hello
CT
Male - 18 Years Old
id still like to discuss my student of the month getting high

I have a 3.3 gpa and i smoke a decent amount of pot and will go to college oh well i'll never be as good as xBranx

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos