AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

05:02 PM on 09/17/13 
User Info.
watergun
No Avatar Selected
Hey there guys, I have a weird question for you.

I've been having a hard time catching the meaning behind the chorus of Chaser and I was wondering if you could give me a hand. Hang in there, I do reckon my last sentence has a really poor wording choice: I know there's no fixed "meaning" behind a song (or any other work of art), let alone a universal one that someone can explain to me.

But please, bear with me, and check out these two lines (lyrics taken from AZLyrics.com, which I tend to consider a splendidly reliable source):
Quote:
I'm a chaser but I found stronger winds.
If you believe her, there's no going home again.
Now I know that, as I said before, there's no "exact" meaning behind this (part of the) song but usually, and ESPECIALLY with almost all of TWY's songs the words - and the melodies etc. - tend to bring some sort of imagery to my mind as I listen to the song. These two sentences instead... well... I can barely make literal of them so I can't seem to associate any significant imagery to them. I'm serious. I don't know what to picture! :P Now I've been to that place before a couple of times and what I usually do is just ask other people what THEY get from the song and see if it resonates with me.

I'm suspecting my difficulty is due to the fact that I'm not a native English speaker so I may be kind of flying over some big metaphor or idiom that the rest of you guys gets really quickly and smoothly.

What does being a "chaser" mean? It could be one that "chases something" or it could be something else... now why the adversative clause? "But I found stronger winds.". Is that somehow in contrast with "being a chaser"? I really can't get the link between the two pieces here.
The second line is also kind of a mystery to me although I can find a vague sense in "her" being the one that says it's over (in the sense that SOMETHING is over) and the narrating voice being "the chaser", the one that doesn't give up.

What are your thoughts?

(and thank you for reading )
07:35 PM on 09/17/13 
User Info.
DylanPPPP
Hey, are you a dreamer?
Midland, MI
Male - 22 Years Old
Well, I assumed that "chaser" means like an alcohol chaser somehow or another. No idea what that has to do with the lyrics that follow but that's just what I always got out of it.
07:50 PM on 09/17/13 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
I know you're strong.
Chicago, IL
Male - 23 Years Old
Those lyrics are not just going over your head because of your native language. They are actually fairly vague, but I don't think it has anything to do with an alcohol chaser. To me, the song is about spending a long time chasing a dream or idea or person, to the point where it feels like you can't do anything but go after it, and it just tears you down. You get suckered into defining yourself as someone who is always chasing that one thing. Then you finally find a "stronger wind" - something that pulls you in a different and better direction. I think it's about the realization that you can't go after something forever, and I think the contrast in tone between the two verses shows that really well.
02:06 AM on 09/18/13 
User Info.
watergun
No Avatar Selected
I love your views on the song, hope more come in. :) I also wonder if Soupy addressed this song in some interview as he often does. I remember reading about the meaning behind "I was kind of hoping you'd stay" in Passing Through a Screen Door, which was kind of enlightening. :P
05:28 AM on 09/19/13 
User Info.
Nintymat
No Avatar Selected
Male - 21 Years Old
You're not Salinger. Get over it.

(but Ryan Gosling might be so don't tell him that)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...to-a-film.html
03:16 PM on 09/19/13 
User Info.
KingoftheOzon3
Just like jon bon jovi did.
Atlanta, GA
Male - 24 Years Old
Planning on getting my TWY inspired tattoo before the year is over. I know exactly what I want, anyone wanna take a shot at drawing it up for me?
07:27 AM on 09/20/13 
User Info.
surette
kill the switch
Boston, MA
Male - 24 Years Old
Planning on getting my TWY inspired tattoo before the year is over. I know exactly what I want, anyone wanna take a shot at drawing it up for me?
honestly that's probably something you should go to a tattoo parlor for, so you can meet your artist and have them draw it up, since they're going to be the ones putting it on your body. that way you can tell them what you want adjusted about their drawing before they actually tattoo it.
07:57 AM on 09/20/13 
User Info.
Jake Denning
Corvallis, OR
Male - 25 Years Old
Staff Member
The Wonder Years sounded so damn good in Portland at the House Party tour, make sure you roll out and support them. I loved the setlist.

Also, if there hasn't been a setlist posted...

Washington Square Park
Melrose Diner
Passing Through A Screen Door
Dismantling Summer
Don't Let Me Cave In
Local Man Ruins Everything
Chaser
Came Out Swinging

Shoutout to jjnunn for taking notes during the set.
07:21 PM on 09/20/13 
User Info.
Noodlemane
Orlando, FL
Male - 22 Years Old
So excited to hear Chaser live!! Definitely going to be up front at Boca. Hopefully this will make up for them getting rained out at our Warped Tour stop
05:07 AM on 09/27/13 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
I know you're strong.
Chicago, IL
Male - 23 Years Old

From Nick's Instagram. Hearts strung up on clothing line? "There, There" music video?
07:58 AM on 09/27/13 
User Info.
EastCoastVans
Why Bother
I was trying to figure out what was going on, Soupy posted a picture of what looked like a video shoot and thanked Driver Friendly.
12:37 PM on 09/27/13 
User Info.
Jaytothesyg
No Closer To Heaven
Cleveland, OH
Male - 21 Years Old
That'd be awesome but it seems like Dismantling Summer would be the obvious next video/single

Also how have the crowds been for TWY for House Party?
12:40 PM on 09/27/13 
User Info.
Amib70
You think of everything
Boston
Female - 20 Years Old
are you going jhmg?
02:15 PM on 09/27/13 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
I know you're strong.
Chicago, IL
Male - 23 Years Old
That'd be awesome but it seems like Dismantling Summer would be the obvious next video/single

Also how have the crowds been for TWY for House Party?

I swear they already filmed a video for "Dismantling Summer." Weren't they talking about it around the album release?
03:21 PM on 09/28/13 
User Info.
Jaytothesyg
No Closer To Heaven
Cleveland, OH
Male - 21 Years Old
are you going jhmg?

Yupp! I ended up getting a press pass through my radio station so that was pretty cool

I swear they already filmed a video for "Dismantling Summer." Weren't they talking about it around the album release?

Maybe! I'm not sure honestly

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version