AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:45 PM on 05/12/14 
User Info.
Cbates07
Syracuse, NY
Male
Their tour manager has ties to the kid and to some other LI booking agents or something. Rather than taking the high road, even if you truly believe your friend is innocent, they decided to tell everyone not to book the Hotelier or to burn their merch. Jokingly or not, the root of the problem is a rape accusation that they are taking lightly
Damn it's unfortunate that's how he handled it. The Hotelier are at no fault for standing behind the "victim", pretty harsh for the tour manager to say that..
09:04 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
nicksteinborn
The Wonder Years / Nick
Hatfield, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
Perhaps TWY have some sort of connection to the guy accused of rape? I could see them getting upset if they know of him personally and believe the accusation was ridiculous, but to deal with it in such way? Is there any way I can see their comments they posted on this?

It's not 'their' comments. They were my comments. I simply said that I disagreed with the way Christian brought everything to light. I opted to not post about it on this forum because of people like Star Slight who want me to say the wrong thing so they can turn it into a thing. If Star Slight has an issue with something our tour manager said, then he should take it up with him and stop trying to turn it into a thing that involves my band. It doesn't.
09:24 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
Star Slight
It involves your band so far as he is a representative of your band selling your merchandise at your shows when he made the alleged comments, though

I'm not turning anything into a "thing" that wasn't already presented by both sides
09:25 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
The_Effort
Safely.bandcamp.com
Las Vegas
Male - 23 Years Old
It's not 'their' comments. They were my comments. I simply said that I disagreed with the way Christian brought everything to light. I opted to not post about it on this forum because of people like Star Slight who want me to say the wrong thing so they can turn it into a thing. If Star Slight has an issue with something our tour manager said, then he should take it up with him and stop trying to turn it into a thing that involves my band. It doesn't.
That whole Bellweather thing did seem to get swept under the rug and completely forgotten about. Not specifically by TWY, but by everybody. That bugs me.

What, if anything in particular, was it that bugged you about Christian's (which I'm assuming is the kid from the Hotelier?) post? It seemed like a pretty well intentioned post that tried to take the (alleged) victims perspective and wants into account.

Does that post leading to this tour managers actions seem justified? Do you guys feel that as somebody who essentially represents your band at the merch table that his actions were okay?

I love your band, and I'm also really into the Hotelier, so I don't mean any disrespect at all. These are just things I'm genuinely curious about when it comes to this topic.

Edit: just saw StarSlight posted basically asking the same thing.
09:29 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
The_Effort
Safely.bandcamp.com
Las Vegas
Male - 23 Years Old
I just feel like it isn't okay for somebody to stand up for an alleged rape victim, genuinely try to do the right thing, and have that lead to representatives of bigger bands threatening to halt that bands progress and telling fans to burn that bands merch.

I'm 100% positive there's details of this that I don't know about, but that's why I'm hoping it gets discussed. Clarification could be good for everybody.
09:33 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
Star Slight
Exactly, it's moreso about the clarification than me trying to make it a "thing". It should be a thing because the comments and actions by the booking companies in LI and that specific tour manager were wrong.
10:01 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
The_Effort
Safely.bandcamp.com
Las Vegas
Male - 23 Years Old
Also, by telling fans to burn their merch, and using connections to stop this band from booking certain places, isn't this tour manger guy essentially using his status to bully this young and less-successful band? That doesn't sit well with me. It seems so against every message TWY has always tried to convey.

I know he isn't in the band, so the band isn't necessarily bullying anybody or whatever, but am I wrong to say that his actions as tour manager/merch guy are representative of the band to the fans at the show at that time? Has that been addressed anywhere? Why would it be okay for him to use your fans and your merch table as a means to continue to bully this smaller band because maybe some guy he knows made a huge mistake and he doesn't wanna own up to it?

The whole thing just doesn't sit well with me.
11:23 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
nicksteinborn
The Wonder Years / Nick
Hatfield, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified

He's not selling our merchandise anymore and hasn't been for a couple years. He was having a bad day and made an inappropriate comment. It happened and that's it.

No single member of my band can represent everyone and someone we hire to make sure our tours run smoothly certainly does not speak for our band.
11:26 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
Sakarazu
The bus came by and I got on
Boston/CT
Male - 19 Years Old
It's not that he is actually representing the entire band's opinions it's just that when you are paying someone to do a job while they are doing so they represent the organization that is paying them. I would not be able to tell someone to fuck off while at work or while wearing my work uniform for the same reason, even though anyone that isn't an idiot could probably figure out that the company I work for doesn't want them to fuck off.
11:33 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Long Live A$AP Yams
Connecticut
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
Pretty sure nick just said that he hasn't worked for them for a few years.
11:40 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
Matt Metzler
anberlinforever.com | The History of Anberlin
Oxford, OH
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
Said he hasn't sold merch for a few years. He's still their tour manager and he's on every tour with them.

As a huge fan of both TWY and The Hotelier, and also as a huge fan of common decency, and of rape accusations being taken seriously, I really don't see what's so hard about JJR or Nick just saying, "Hey, I'm sorry. That was inappropriate. Rape accusations are serious, and someone within our band family made a comment that belittled that fact. It shouldn't have happened, but all parties accountable take responsibility for it, and it won't happen again. We extend our support to the victim."

"It happened and that's it" is not an appropriate response.
11:42 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
nicksteinborn
The Wonder Years / Nick
Hatfield, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified

No. Just clarifying that he does not sell our merch. He is our tour manager. People seemed concerned that he was scolding kids at the merch table or something.
11:47 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
Star Slight
Said he hasn't sold merch for a few years. He's still their tour manager and he's on every tour with them.

As a huge fan of both TWY and The Hotelier, and also as a huge fan of common decency, and of rape accusations being taken seriously, I really don't see what's so hard about JJR or Nick just saying, "Hey, I'm sorry. That was inappropriate. Rape accusations are serious, and someone within our band family made a comment that belittled that fact. It shouldn't have happened, but all parties accountable take responsibility for it, and it won't happen again. We extend our support to the victim."

yeah, pretty much
11:53 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
codeseven
kid dynamite
Raleigh, NC
Male - 27 Years Old
First I've heard of any of this. But "It happened and that's it" is a terrible way of looking at it.
11:54 AM on 05/13/14 
User Info.
nicksteinborn
The Wonder Years / Nick
Hatfield, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified

Sorry, dude. I don't owe you or anyone an apology for something I couldn't have been less involved in. I sincerely wish that John had bit his tongue instead of making that comment, but I am not John and I was not there.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos