Password

01:40 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
NYC via GNV
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
And yeah like Dylan said, the tones of the albums are totally different. I'm not sure if I associate them with seasons, because The Upsides is used by so many people during miserable times so therefore it still makes sense in the winter in my opinion, but the albums just sound totally different in my opinion. Major growth in musicianship on Suburbia.
01:41 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
And yeah like Dylan said, the tones of the albums are totally different. I'm not sure if I associate them with seasons, because The Upsides is used by so many people during miserable times so therefore it still makes sense in the winter in my opinion, but the albums just sound totally different in my opinion. Major growth in musicianship on Suburbia.
yeah, I would say that the Upsides fits with any season, really I think both albums can match up well with whatever season it is. I mean, Upsides was a January release and Suburbia was a June release.
01:49 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Starbury
The Music Review
South Beach
Male - 26 Years Old
This is starting to get redic
01:55 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
Cleveland, OH
Male - 21 Years Old
I agree with everything everyone said defending Suburbia. Especially how much better Soupy's voice sounds. There are moments on The Upsides that Soupy's voice is cringe-worthily nasally. I don't think I've ever cringed at a single note sang on Suburbia and I can remember more moments on Suburbia where I was blown away by Soupy's voice than The Upsides (outro to Came Out Swinging, bridge to Woke Up Older, verses to My Life As A Pigeon etc.). Oh and the drumming was one of the best drumming performances on a pop punk release in recent years imo. Mike killed it.

I also feel that the albums have two very different feelings to them. Even though The Upsides was released in the Winter and Suburbia was released in the Summer I see Upsides as a Summer album and Suburbia as a Fall album. I don't know if anyone agrees there but that's just what I've always thought.

Yupp basically agree with everything you said
01:57 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
Oshawa, Ontario
Male - 21 Years Old
The middle of the Upsides has the best songs. Hostels into Melrose Diner into This Party Sucks is awesome.
02:01 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
Wouldn't say the Upsides is a seasonal record. Also really still don't think that Soupy's voice changed drastically enough for Suburbia for it to be 100000 times better or whatever. Also think that Suburbia blends together as opposed to Upsides
02:22 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
The middle of the Upsides has the best songs. Hostels into Melrose Diner into This Party Sucks is awesome.

Best avatar. Was at the top of my list of blus to pick up in the flash sale.
02:25 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
Oshawa, Ontario
Male - 21 Years Old
Best avatar. Was at the top of my list of blus to pick up in the flash sale.
Watched it for the first time yesterday. Absolutely insane. Great blind buy.
02:37 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Amib70
You think of everything
Boston
Female - 19 Years Old
I still jam TWY all the time. The past 6 months or so I've been less and less into pop punk but I can't skip a TWY song if it comes on shuffle in my car. Also I agree with Thomas, Suburbia surpasses The Upsides in basically every single way. I think the people that say The Upsides is a better album just say that because they hold a certain sentiment towards that album, but that's cool too
02:51 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male
Watched it for the first time yesterday. Absolutely insane. Great blind buy.

Absolutely. Still so many things about that film I just... don't understand how they're possible or how it even exists. SOMEONE MADE THAT MOVIE.
02:53 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
Oshawa, Ontario
Male - 21 Years Old
Absolutely. Still so many things about that film I just... don't understand how they're possible or how it even exists. SOMEONE MADE THAT MOVIE.
I had no clue what it was about going into it either, so it was all the more mind boggling. I think it is something everyone should watch, whether you are into foreign language films or now. I need to delve into the special features a bit now.
02:55 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male
I had no clue what it was about going into it either, so it was all the more mind boggling. I think it is something everyone should watch, whether you are into foreign language films or now. I need to delve into the special features a bit now.

Yeah, I'm excited for everything about this and can't wait for it to come. I haven't seen it in blu-ray quality before, and I'm really looking forward to spending time with the disc and maybe coming to understand the film better. Soooo glad there's a Criterion for it.

And agree, everyone needs to watch it. There's absolutely NOTHING like it.
03:13 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
lol you literally went from one extreme to another how could I not point that out
as i started laying out my own thoughts i considered the other side. but no, continue making it impossible to have any real discussion with you.
03:30 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
Oshawa, Ontario
Male - 21 Years Old
Yeah, I'm excited for everything about this and can't wait for it to come. I haven't seen it in blu-ray quality before, and I'm really looking forward to spending time with the disc and maybe coming to understand the film better. Soooo glad there's a Criterion for it.

And agree, everyone needs to watch it. There's absolutely NOTHING like it.
I wish I had the Blu Ray version, but I got the Criterion DVD for an incredibly reasonable price, along with Repulsion, from a guy locally, so I can't complain.
03:33 PM on 09/28/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
as i started laying out my own thoughts i considered the other side. but no, continue making it impossible to have any real discussion with you.

I voiced my opinions pretty thoroughly throughout the thread. I don't really care why you like the album more, as I've said I was more irked by everyone acting like it was fact rather than opinion or preference

but yeah write a one woman show about it or whatever you're doing

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version