AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Devil Wears Prada - Dead&Alive Album Cover

The Devil Wears Prada - Dead&Alive

Reviewed by
The Devil Wears Prada - Dead&Alive (Live CD/DVD)
Record Label: Ferret Records
Release Date: June 26, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Live albums are always something nice for fans and music collectors. They offer some of the elements of the concert experience – the raw feel and old-fashioned unedited feel of music – right here at home. Live DVD footage is always nice because it allows fans to see their favorites bands in concerts without even being there; sure, it’s not the same, but it’s something right? The DVD extras and behind the scenes footage is a little something extra, too, so that can’t hurt either.

Thus is the case with The Devil Wears Prada’s first live CD/DVD, Dead&Alive. After pretty much taking over the metalcore world – and fighting the zombie apocalypse – TDWP have become one of the biggest names in heavy music. After four studio records, a fun Zombie EP, and a headlining stint on Warped Tour last summer and a Dead Throne headlining tour, it’s about time the boys put out this DVD.

Filmed throughout their Dead Throne headlining North America tour last year, the DVD features a variety of venues and shows, allowing the viewer to experience Prada in different atmospheres and on different stages. The camera work is superb, making each member of the band stand out on every cut.

While most of the concert focuses on Dead Throne cuts, one of my favorite things about live albums is how it’s the one time you can really tell how much bands have grown over the years when they play older cuts. Both “Hey John, What’s Your Name Again?” and “Dogs Can Grow Beards All Over” showcase how much better the musicians are now than when they recorded these songs on their first two records. The latter highlights Hranica’s growth as a screamer over the years – the early recorded version on Dear Love doesn’t even compare to his ability to master the song now.

The 10 minute behind-the-scenes, extra portion of the DVD allows fans to get a glimpse at how the shows were prepared and set up. The band opens up on how big the Dead Throne tour was for them – it was the first time they could truly put on the biggest show of their career, and they did just that. They explain how they wanted their shows to be themed after a stage performance to give it a richer atmosphere. They touch on how “epic” the stage felt to them – it was huge, hard to see, and surreal. They discuss how they wanted to hit cities that don’t get to experience their shows too often.

Ideally, Dead&Alive will fit in perfectly to The Devil Wears Prada collection, allowing the boys to finally allow fans to own their live shows and additional content. It’s something for the fans and to show how much the band has grown over the years. From their discussions of growing as a band in their material to the success of their lives shows, this DVD really does hit home with fans wrapping up the success of the band in recent years.

8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
12:55 AM on 07/03/12
luqmanhakim
Registered Member
User Info.
My order of this just shipped out today. Can't wait.
06:31 AM on 07/03/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
still need to check this out. i hear these guys put on a kick ass show.
07:42 AM on 07/03/12
Noodlemane
User Info.
Ever since the Killswitch Engage dvd, no live performance cd/dvd has ever really lived up to that for me..
07:59 AM on 07/03/12
EternalEclipse
fight the power
User Info.
Not really a fan of live albums, but i might check this out
09:41 AM on 07/03/12
Spencer Control
Goddamn, I miss my dead friends
User Info.
still need to check this out. i hear these guys put on a kick ass show.
They do. One of the best concert moments I've ever had is when Mike flossed his toothgap with the mic cord. So good.

Also, when will his facial hair stop getting more and more awesome?
11:52 AM on 07/03/12
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
the vocals on this DVD are awful
12:24 PM on 07/03/12
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
the vocals in this band are always awful
03:47 PM on 07/03/12
Journey408
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
their first dvd was pretty cool
hope this has more than a live show

i always felt Mike's vocals are always good on stage & in the studio
and that Jeremy is horrible live. probably uses a lot of effects in the studio
08:58 PM on 07/03/12
Nolessthanblink
Are you watching closely?
User Info.
You forgot to mention that the "documentary" that you glowed about was not even 11 minutes in length. Concert footage isn't bad (although Jeremy far outshines Mike on this dvd imo) though, but could be found on youtube I'm sure and save yourself 17 bucks. I agree that they're much better live now than they were in the Plagues days, but I don't quite understand how this dvd earned an 8/10.

I'd say 6/10. Then again, I'm not really a "fan" of this band, or this style of music necessarily, but I loved Roots and Zombie.
11:59 PM on 07/03/12
FF4889
Zapuda
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You fail to mention that he barely sings in the songs. If you're a fan of Adam Lazarra in his "sing every 3rd word" phase then you will love this. So disappointing, especially in Danger: Wildman he either skips the words or literally speaks them.
01:03 PM on 07/04/12
Circa1628
Long suffering Bills fan
User Info.
Not to be that guy, but I really wish there were more tracks from Plagues and With Roots Above and Branches Below
01:41 PM on 07/04/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Not to be that guy, but I really wish there were more tracks from Plagues and With Roots Above and Branches Below
Yeah, I agree. But it is footage from the Dead Throne tour, so I suppose it makes sense.
02:46 PM on 07/08/12
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Yeah, I agree. But it is footage from the Dead Throne tour, so I suppose it makes sense.
is this DVD available in stores, or do you gotta order it online?
05:03 PM on 07/08/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
is this DVD available in stores, or do you gotta order it online?
Pretty sure it's in stores - I'd have to check though

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version