Username
Password

09:39 AM on 07/03/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't know if anyone else gets a bit turned off by how the main politics thread is basically just about American politics, but I figured I'd make a thread about international politics since they interest me more. We'll see if this interests anybody besides me!

Anyway, here are a few links to websites that I frequent:

BBC World News
Al-Jazeera
Foreign Policy
The Economist
Reddt/WorldNews (seriously, it's a good place to find news and the comments are generally insightful. If you already use reddit you may as well subscribe)

If anyone has any other favorites just post them in here and I'll add them to this list of sites.
09:52 AM on 07/03/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Yeah, I like the idea of this thread. I often feel a bit lost with American politics.

I'll post a few links. Most of the news I get comes from the Guardian's 'world' section.

Nicolas Sarkozy's home raided by French police
Detectives investigating alleged illegal campaign-financing by L'Oreal heir Liliane Bettencourt search Carla Bruni's Paris mansion.

Iran nuclear talks restart as tensions rise in Gulf.
Negotiations in Istanbul as the US sends more ships to Gulf and Iran's parliament calls for action in the Strait of Hormuz.

Peña Nieto: Mexicans have given our party a second chance
Official polls give PRI seven-point lead as leader claims election victory and promises 'no return to the past'.

I'm surprised I didn't see the Mexican elections mentioned at all in the general thread, to be honest.

Assad regrets Syrian forces shooting down Turkish fighter plane
Syrian president says he wishes incident had not happened and hopes tensions with Turkey do not escalate into armed conflict.

That'll do for now, but I can see myself posting in this thread often.
10:04 AM on 07/03/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
I thought this piece from the Economist was a very well-researched article, and evidently had something to it since it's already blocked by the Great Firewall.

Also, Syria and Turkey has been really interesting lately, with the whole civil war thing and shooting down the Turkish plane.
10:48 AM on 07/03/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Yeah, I like the idea of this thread. I often feel a bit lost with American politics.

I'll post a few links. Most of the news I get comes from the Guardian's 'world' section.

Nicolas Sarkozy's home raided by French police
Detectives investigating alleged illegal campaign-financing by L'Oreal heir Liliane Bettencourt search Carla Bruni's Paris mansion.

Iran nuclear talks restart as tensions rise in Gulf.
Negotiations in Istanbul as the US sends more ships to Gulf and Iran's parliament calls for action in the Strait of Hormuz.

Peņa Nieto: Mexicans have given our party a second chance
Official polls give PRI seven-point lead as leader claims election victory and promises 'no return to the past'.

I'm surprised I didn't see the Mexican elections mentioned at all in the general thread, to be honest.

Assad regrets Syrian forces shooting down Turkish fighter plane
Syrian president says he wishes incident had not happened and hopes tensions with Turkey do not escalate into armed conflict.

That'll do for now, but I can see myself posting in this thread often.

Yay, someone else in here! I feel like unless there's something to be outraged about (meaning Republicans are involved) it doesn't get much attention in there. I'm actually more familiar with politics in the Middle East than I am with Mexico though, haha. Iran just seems like more saber-rattling by both sides though, I'm over it. I laughed when I read about those comments by Assad, it's kind of a "duh" thing for him to say.
11:13 AM on 07/04/12 
User Info.
tkamB
Nobody has it better than us
Bay Area, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
Will Civil War Hit Afghanistan?
Looks like it.

Quote:
Nashir grew increasingly vehement. “Mark my words, the moment the Americans leave, the civil war will begin,” he said. “This country will be divided into twenty-five or thirty fiefdoms, each with its own government.” Nashir rattled off the names of some of the country’s best-known leaders—some of them warlords—and the areas they come from: “Mir Alam will take Kunduz. Atta will take Mazar-e-Sharif. Dostum will take Sheberghan. The Karzais will take Kandahar. The Haqqanis will take Paktika. If these things don’t happen, you can burn my bones when I die.”
12:30 PM on 07/04/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Yep, I'm not loo optimistic about Afghanistan, it's a bummer.
03:59 PM on 07/04/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Malian Islamists attack world heritage site mosques in Timbuktu.
Al-Qaida-linked rebels Ansar Dine and Tuareg separatist MNLA destroy sacred door of 15th-century mosque as 'un-Islamic'.

Hmmmm.
10:32 PM on 07/04/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Just like Afghanistan when the Taliban blew up all the ancient statues, they're a bunch of barbarians.
02:47 PM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Gonna post some UK stuff here, if it doesn't belong here and you'd prefer to keep this thread for 'world' news that's fine, just let me know.

Bloody Sunday murder inquiry to be launched by Northern Ireland police.
Up to 30 officers will investigate 1972 massacre, in what the brother of a victim called a step in the right direction.

George Osborne and Ed Balls clash over banking inquiry.
Chancellor and his Labour opposite exchange angry accusations during debate over proposed investigations into bank culture.

Attorney general steps in to caution against speedy banking inquiry.
Dominic Grieve says quick inquiry could clash with on-going criminal investigations, putting government plan in doubt.

Army to lose 17 units in cuts, defence secretary announces.
In a statement to the House of Commons, Philip Hammond says five battalions will disappear in the reorganisation.
03:29 PM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
luckykaruba
Jazz Baby
Female - 28 Years Old

Peņa Nieto: Mexicans have given our party a second chance

[.

I was talking about it!!
03:32 PM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
I was talking about it!!

Ooops, guess I didn't read the thread carefully enough then. My sincerest apologies.
03:35 PM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
luckykaruba
Jazz Baby
Female - 28 Years Old
Ooops, guess I didn't read the thread carefully enough then. My sincerest apologies.

Hah it's ok. It was just user josepablo32 and I talking about it briefly and he was happy that I seemed to be the only person to even slightly give a shit.
03:53 PM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Nah dude, UK stuff works. I just made this thread to basically be the "non-US politics" thread since everything else gets overshadowed in there.
10:26 PM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
Nevuk
Post-Structural Anarchist
Cincinnati OH
Male - 25 Years Old
This thread definitely deserves to be stickied. Most non-US politics stuff in the general thread is mentioned only in relation to how it affects the US. It's not so bad when we're not in an election year but the bias always exists.
10:49 PM on 07/05/12 
User Info.
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
Chico, California
Male - 22 Years Old
Would definitely not have a problem with that, it might get a bit more discussion going in here.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos