AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Madina Lake - 11.28.07

Interviewed by
Madina Lake - 11.28.07Please state your name and what you do in the band?
Good day sir, this is Matthew and I play bass. So nice to finally meet you absolute punkers.

How is the current tour going so far?
We just finished a US headlining run with mayday parade, then did two shows in Japan and returned home a few hours ago for the first time since the Bears won the Superbowl. The tour kicked ass in so many ways. A lot of the shows sold out which was a wonderful surprise.

What happened at the Knitting Factory show in NYC?
Yeah...that was our bad. We tend to be a little reckless at shows. What we strive to do is to create a cohesive and chaotic energy that the entire room can escape into. We don't believe that there is any difference between us and the audience. That makes us want to get as close as we can to them, so at one point, Nathan flipped off of the balcony into the crowd. That coupled with about 10 lbs of confetti shot out of cannons, a few cases of water being tossed around and 10 giant balloons filled with confetti... Well, the venue was less than impressed!

How was it playing on Linkin Park's Projekt Revolution Tour this past summer?
Man, it was a major highlight in our career so far. We played at noon everyday and didn't really know what to expect from that, but as soon as the gates opened, about 5000 people crammed up in front of the revolution stage and brought so much energy. We were so lucky to be a part of that. We were also the only band doing the tour in a van. Not just a van...a 125 degree dining room, toilet, living room and bedroom for 6 dudes. It was so hot and disgusting that Rolling Stone walked past it at the LA show and the smell caught their attention. They decided they should probably take a picture of it and put it the magazine.

Any crazy stories from the tour?
Hmmm, I think that a bunch of dudes from some really big bands and some other guys, perhaps from our band, wound up in a sorority house, like the Omega Moos or something, having a good ole fashion pillow fight with some of the sisters. Before you knew it, the house mother came storming in and chased everyone all over the damn place. It was every man for himself at that point and everyone escaped through different doors, windows, chimneys, whatever,...and just disappeared into the sprawling campus. It's just sort of funny to see like, Bill from Placebo being chased by some 50 year old sorority house mother! A typical night though was us, Saosin, theBled and MSI grilling in the parking lot and racing around on Saosin's mini bikes.

How did Linkin Park treat you guys?
Linkin Park are the coolest, most down to earth, class act, that we've ever had the honor of playing with. They treated every band as equals and went way out of their way to make sure everyone got what they needed and more. They had the best catering I’ve ever tasted in my life.

How did it feel to be associated with the rest of the bands on the tour?
It was surreal for us. The bands were so diverse and incredible and we're huge fans of all of them. Bands like Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance and TBS are timeless bands that inspired us every day. To be able to meet these bands was cool enough, but to play with them and
become friends with them is some next level type of sheet. For a band like us to be in that company is very humbling and flattering.

Can we expect another US headlining tour after you guys finish the Kerrang tour?
After Kerrang we will be direct support on a full US tour. I'm not sure if I can say it yet, but it's with one of the bands our manager manages. Oh, and on a side note, our manager manages Aiden.

What are some of your favorite bands to tour with and why?
Halifax and the Audition are the two bands that we had the most fun touring with. On those tours there was no ego or attitude...just constant retardation, night after night. I miss those tours!

What are some differences between fans from the United States and fans from overseas?
I've noticed that kids in the UK are less inhibited. In the states, sometimes it takes them a few songs to loosen up. Over there, the audience wants to enjoy the experience from the first note to the last and every second in between. That includes the opening acts as well. So right away kids are singing the words, floppin all over each other and diving off the stage. It's very exciting!

Tell us a little about "The Auspice."
Madina Lake is a town that was lost in a mountainous labyrinth in 1950's America. It was an isolated society whose ideals had eroded over time until the townspeople began obsessing with fame, vanity and material wealth. At an annual gala event, their most prized celebrity goes missing. It's a story I wrote based on Nathan's lyrics and all of our philosophies and ideas about societies and cultures. The four of us had it all mapped out before we started writing music together. Ideally, the whole thing will conclude after 3 records. Does that sound pretentious? We just wanted to have more substance with a sub narrative if people happen to be interested in more.

When will that be released?
Our band is in so much debt it's ridiculous. We can't afford to get the hard copies back from the printer, so in December/January, we are distributing clues at live shows, in the album artwork and on our website that will unlock different chapters on madinalake.com.

Have you guys been writing new songs?
Yep! We rented an RV for this last tour so we could write. We have about 7 solid ideas and many more seeds that we're developing and demo-ing in December.

Do you have a timeline for the new album?
They're looking at January of 09 to put it out. But we got loads of work to do first. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves and we won't settle for anything less than something that completely moves all four of us.

What was it like being on Fear Factor?
We were gonna wear Speedos and get kicked off by girls in the first round thinking our friends would find it hilarious. We did it as a joke and naively didn't think anyone else would really see it. lol We miraculously won the first thing and then thought that money might be awesome, so we started trying, sort of.

And did you guys think you were going to win the competition?
haha I don't think one person on the planet thought we were gonna win, especially us.

Would you do it again?
Nope! We'd never seen the show before we went on it so we didn't realize we were going to be falling out of helicopters and eating cow shit. I'm pretty sure it’s off the air but there was some talk of a twin edition champions episode, lol. We’re not the type of people that enjoy being miserable so I doubt we would have done it anyway.

How would things be if you didn't win the $50,000 and used it to record your demo?
Things would be exactly as they are now. We would have found a way to make the demo one way or another. We had actually done a lot of tracking on that demo in our rehearsal spot in Chicago. Mateo's gotten pretty crafty with Pro-Tools so we record a ton on our own. We seriously had no intention whatsoever of winning that money (and definitely didn't think going on that show would have anything to do with the band) so getting into a nicer studio was just an added bonus.

What are some things you need to bring on tour?
Books, Ipods, XMRadio, that GPS chick that tells you where to go, something to help you sleep, and red bulls.

What are some CDs you are listening to right now?
Smashing Pumpkins "zietgiest," Brand New, "the devil and god," DeadBeatz, Wilco, Sigur Ros, NIN, Porcupine Tree, and MuteMath. Of course we never stop rockin the Bob Marley, Cypress Hill and Notorious...B I G.

Any last words?
thanks a million AP and anyone who took the time to read this, you rule the planet

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
08:12 AM on 11/29/07
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
I had no idea about that Fear Factor shit, pretty crazy. Good interview, average/decent band but Adalia is my jam.
09:57 AM on 11/29/07
BTNGHRTSBB
BTNGHRTSBB
User Info.
Does anyone know where to find that Fear Factor video?
10:10 AM on 11/29/07
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Can we expect another US headlining tour after you guys finish the Kerrang tour?
After Kerrang we will be direct support on a full US tour. I'm not sure if I can say it yet, but it's with one of the bands our manager manages. Oh, and on a side note, our manager manages Aiden.

eh, well if they do support Aiden, maybe they would actually come to San Francisco.
10:10 AM on 11/29/07
xchristianax
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Madina Lake= my <3
You can find the fear factor vid on youtube
I can't wait for the new tour and Auspice Book and they best play bamboozle.
10:13 AM on 11/29/07
Chuck!
In Chip We Trust
User Info.
i absolutely love ML, but aiden? ewww
11:02 AM on 11/29/07
onexlastxkissxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
rofl omfg the van is so disgusting.
XD
i was at the school of rock show in NJ and i was standing right next to the van and gifodjgfd ewwwhhh.
XD

I STILL LOVE ML THOUGH<3
12:20 PM on 11/29/07
kana900
User Info.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bradbishell

he doesn't have all the parts up though.
parts 3/4 are realllly gross.
12:22 PM on 11/29/07
sasalukac
giddy up
User Info.
these guys are cool, and make good music
12:52 PM on 11/29/07
chcougar1
User Info.
i absolutely love ML, but aiden? ewww

Yeah thats what I was kind of thinking. I'm bummed the Mayday/Madina tour didnt come to the Northwest because I liked that lineup a lot and it sounds like I probably wont like this lineup as much.

Oh well Madina puts on a rad live show and its always fun to hang out with them so I cant complain.

And dang...they tour too much. Their current album was completed in January 2006 and wasnt released until January of this year and now we have to wait til January 2009 at least for the new album?:( oh well haha
02:52 PM on 11/29/07
screamer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I had no idea about that Fear Factor shit, pretty crazy. Good interview, average/decent band but Adalia is my jam.

They actually almost died when they were on it from the "Cow Shake"
03:14 PM on 11/29/07
ThinkTink85
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Its all on YouTube, pretty disgusting but so funny
08:47 PM on 11/29/07
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Pretty nice guys. Good interview.
11:23 PM on 11/29/07
madisonfalls
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
stand up band. see them if you can
03:56 PM on 11/30/07
flyingclarinet
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah thats what I was kind of thinking. I'm bummed the Mayday/Madina tour didnt come to the Northwest because I liked that lineup a lot and it sounds like I probably wont like this lineup as much.

The third band is gonna be My American Heart, so the lineup isn't too horrible. I'm planning on leaving before Aiden. :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos