AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Let Me Run - Let Me Run Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Let Me Run - Let Me Run

Reviewed by: salter2411 (07/07/12)
Let Me Run - Let Me Run
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: August 9, 2011

On this, their self-titled EP, Let Me Run have proffered a sound that develops the punk-rock and roll feel from previous releases, but at a consistent level that had previously eluded the New Jersey group. These six songs are a premonition of great things to come and provide anticipation for upcoming activity from the band, which ultimately is surely one of the most desirable outcomes from an EP.

From the pounding drums of "Fall In", it is evident that Let Me Run means business. The opening track features a smorgasbord of positive attributes, from the climbing melodies and rousing vocals to the driving guitars. It is particularly imperative in an EP that no time is wasted, and here Let Me Run get straight to playing their strengths right from the off. "CSJ II" relates appellatively to a track from the release Broken Strings but manages to far surpass its forefather. The vocal interplay is enjoyably notable, something that ideally the band could have made more of throughout the EP, and the chorus is pure sonic passion. Obviously, you’d hope that all songs convey passion but "CSJ II" emits passion from every orifice, heightened by the instrumentation that displays the perfect equilibrium between simplicity and complexity; it’s a sincere no-frills collection of songs, but the ability of each band member should not be understated.

It is a demanding task to provide criticism for this release on a vocal level. That is mainly a consequence of Rocky Catanese’s delivery being perfect for the band’s brand of punk-infused rock and roll, or rock and roll-infused punk if you prefer. "Broken Brother" in particular finds Catanese producing a spot-on vocal performance that heightens the emotional strength of the song, with its weary lyrical hook of “So paint me indifferent/While proudly lingering for my apology”. "Grabber" is indubitably a rockin’ tune, and the EP closes in a satisfactory manner with "Ruse". It’s the type of song that leaves you wanting more, which incidentally you can get on July 17th 2012 in the form of their full-length album MAD/SAD.

But this EP should not be ignored merely on the virtue that newer material is just around the corner. Let Me Run have given the world a release of well-made and well-played rock and roll tunes that merit recognition for their honesty and energy, and should hopefully catalyse a bright future for the band.

Recommended If You LikeThe Loved Ones, The Gaslight Anthem, The Bouncing Souls, rocking and/or rolling

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests