Password

Album Review

With Crown and Tail - Europa EP Album Cover

With Crown and Tail - Europa EP

Reviewed by
With Crown and Tail - Europa
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: June 26, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
For passive listeners of metalcore, the genre may seem like one of the most watered down, overpopulated in quite some time. Bands that resort to flash in the pan "brutality" can take the blame for that one. Simply put, most emerging bands are ill equipped copy cats. There are some, though, that come through as something more. And then, there are some that have the potential to leave an innovative mark. I believe With Crown and Tail is one of those bands.

"Redemption" opens with chanting vocals and electronics that flow straight into what seems like a pretty standard song, until Bryan Zimmerman, former Sky Eats Airplane, begins to sing. As he swoons you into the chorus, it's already apparent that the vocals are far superior to the majority of the scene's vocalist. You also begin to hear the interesting and complex rhythmic composition, compliments of drummer Matthew Owen and bassist Anthony Smith. After a string of nifty electronics and the infectious vocal melodies of "Ballad of a Paralyzed Man," guitarists Kyle Hoffer and Evan Dingman join the ranks of talented contemporaries such as Zack Ordway (Sky Eats Airplane), Nick Sampson (I Am Abomination), or Zack Hansen and Tony Pizzuti (The Word Alive). Two tracks in and it's conclusive that all members of With Crown and Tail are very talented and technical musicians.

The summation of this comes in the form of "Nothing Left To Love," a plethora of style, advanced instrumentation, and excellent song writing. The interesting part of the song is the band's ability to completely maintain momentum, through the screamed verses to the unbelievably catchy chorus. Though not "heavy" throughout, there is an unrelenting quality of this song that I have never heard in this style of metal. The song comes to a close with Phil Druyor (I Am Abomination) and Zimmerman switching off vocal duties and a gentle electronic play out that seems to just seal the deal. The last two tracks seem to only further exhibit the skill of the band, with "Fairweather" relaying a wild breakdown very reminiscent of the Sound of Symmetry EP and "The Hereafter" relating a heartfelt vocal delivery and an overall substantial conclusion to a remarkable EP.

Europa is not flawless though. There are moments of awkward melodic direction that can be off putting, yet these are not often and do not last long enough to negate from the success of the overall track. Production (though purposefully stylized) can at times be distracting and could better accentuate low end and electronic flairs that have been incorporated. And finally, the brevity of the EP can be sweet and sour: while adequately showcasing the bands abilities, you may ultimately feel like you want more. But better to want more than have too much. All that being said, this is a damn fine EP that surpasses the output of many and most of metalcore's juggernauts. With further exploration into their sound and with more time to establish a wider fan base, the band is poised to be one of the most innovative in the genre. Be on the look out for With Crown and Tail.

Sounds LikeA more cohessive Sound of Symmetry; I Am Abomination with screaming

With Crown And Tail's WebsitesOfficial YouTube; Official Twitter; Offical Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
11:15 AM on 07/10/12
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
I have been spinnin' this EP nonstop for over 2 weeks. It's so fucking good.
11:20 AM on 07/10/12
Steve Alcala
Let's play Smash. 1478-4468-2484
User Info.
I have been spinnin' this EP nonstop for over 2 weeks. It's so fucking good.
Yep yep!!!
12:38 AM on 07/15/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Never understood why people hated Bryan in SEA. As you see here, he is a great vocalist. Wish they had this on physical, all songs were 5 stars for me!
01:27 AM on 07/15/12
Steve Alcala
User Info.
Never understood why people hated Bryan in SEA. As you see here, he is a great vocalist. Wish they had this on physical, all songs were 5 stars for me!

Absolutely. I think what weighed down the score mostly for me was production. We've had the Chango argument before though :P
12:27 PM on 07/15/12
intendtopretend
Call me maybe.
User Info.
Great review Stephen! :)
02:36 PM on 07/15/12
Steve Alcala
User Info.
Great review Stephen! :)
Thanks! :)

How you know my name?? Lol
04:31 PM on 07/15/12
WeltallAY
User Info.
Absolutely. I think what weighed down the score mostly for me was production. We've had the Chango argument before though :P

Indeed we have. I still really enjoy his production but he's reusing effects even more so lately which annoys me.
04:44 PM on 07/15/12
Steve Alcala
User Info.
Indeed we have. I still really enjoy his production but he's reusing effects even more so lately which annoys me.
I think his production is getting marginally better though. New MMF is easily his best work. Still needs a bit more low end in my opinion. I would love for these guys to meet up with SEAs producer for Sound of Symmetry.
06:06 PM on 07/15/12
intendtopretend
Call me maybe.
User Info.
Thanks! :)

How you know my name?? Lol
It's Paige ahahhahaha
06:07 PM on 07/15/12
Steve Alcala
User Info.
Ohhhh!!!! <3 text me!
06:08 PM on 07/15/12
intendtopretend
Call me maybe.
User Info.
Ohhhh!!!! <3 text me!
kay <333333333333333333
11:15 PM on 07/15/12
WeltallAY
User Info.
I think his production is getting marginally better though. New MMF is easily his best work. Still needs a bit more low end in my opinion. I would love for these guys to meet up with SEAs producer for Sound of Symmetry.
Yeah, that was Taylor Larson who also worked on the Of Legends (blech) and Life On Repeat albums. Have you heard the newer LOR album? Not only is it production-wise superb, musically it's one of my favorites in a long time.
06:58 AM on 07/16/12
Steve Alcala
User Info.
Yeah, that was Taylor Larson who also worked on the Of Legends (blech) and Life On Repeat albums. Have you heard the newer LOR album? Not only is it production-wise superb, musically it's one of my favorites in a long time.
Uh I believe I've heard a couple songs on Pandora and I liked what I heard. I just really enjoy the fact that everything is stylized but the tones remain natural sounding and full. He did Perphery II as well, correct?

And we should rec some bands to each other from time to time man

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version