Username
Password

07:54 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
lockedheart
some nights
Brussels, BE
Female
I'm pretty neutral about her. It's not a part of his life I've paid much attention to. I know some people think there was a relationship and others think it was a relative of Jefferson's with whom she had children. What do you think?

You should check out the podcast too!

I think and hope it was him, if only to be able to say that he has ancestors
11:20 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
theagentcoma
Post Grad Vagabond
Seattle
Male - 26 Years Old
I mean the monument of the Alamo. It was seriously the most disappointing thing I'd ever seen.
11:23 PM on 07/11/12 
User Info.
ChaseTx
I mean the monument of the Alamo. It was seriously the most disappointing thing I'd ever seen.
Well I mean it wasn't some great mission. It was a pretty pathetic place to hold their stand against Santa Anna, that's part of the reason their successes there were so significant.
07:04 AM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
theagentcoma
Post Grad Vagabond
Seattle
Male - 26 Years Old
It wasn't so much that, it's just how the city of San Antonio built their city literally around it haha. I mean, I was expecting it to be preserved in some field somewhere and I walk up the stairs of the Riverwalk and there it is right in front of me....right down the street from Ripley's and an ice cream place. Just felt weird, kind of not very genuine.
07:46 AM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
ChaseTx
It's definitely designed for casual tourism. If they set it off like it deserves to be, I think a lot of people would just look at it as a museum more than anything. With how they set it up, the casual visitor can just walk up there from the Riverwalk or wherever. It is kind of a bummer that there's so much else going on outside it, but it's still pretty cool when you immerse yourself in the history.
08:51 AM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
lockedheart
some nights
Brussels, BE
Female
Has anyone been to Gettysburg?
It's like, haunted.
09:03 AM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
Keri
Unfortunately I haven't been to Gettysburg, but I'd love to go sometime. Though I have been to Appomattox where Lee and Grant met to end the war. Standing in the same spot where both generals were is a really weird experience.

There are benefits to living in Virginia, there's always some historical site to visit. Still haven't been to them all yet!
11:56 AM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
theagentcoma
Post Grad Vagabond
Seattle
Male - 26 Years Old
Has anyone been to Gettysburg?
It's like, haunted.

I lived near Baltimore when I was in elementary school and we visited Gettysburg, but this was like 14 years ago. Still, I remembered thinking it was awesome.

Far and away the most surreal historical visit I've ever made is to the museum in Ft. Worth detailing the assassination of JFK. We went down and stood on the "Grassy Knoll". It was intense.
12:20 PM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
lockedheart
some nights
Brussels, BE
Female
I lived near Baltimore when I was in elementary school and we visited Gettysburg, but this was like 14 years ago. Still, I remembered thinking it was awesome.

Far and away the most surreal historical visit I've ever made is to the museum in Ft. Worth detailing the assassination of JFK. We went down and stood on the "Grassy Knoll". It was intense.

Oh my gosh.
I've never been to Texas, but I'd love to go to that.
12:21 PM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
lockedheart
some nights
Brussels, BE
Female
Unfortunately I haven't been to Gettysburg, but I'd love to go sometime. Though I have been to Appomattox where Lee and Grant met to end the war. Standing in the same spot where both generals were is a really weird experience.

There are benefits to living in Virginia, there's always some historical site to visit. Still haven't been to them all yet!

Jealous! I love Virginia.
03:16 PM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
11:11
Soft sound
Temple, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
History major currently. I'm much more fascinated in ancient history/the history of other countries. I love learning about the rise and fall of various empires.
03:34 PM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
richter915
@Richter915
Male - 27 Years Old
History major currently. I'm much more fascinated in ancient history/the history of other countries. I love learning about the rise and fall of various empires.
oh absolutely, I constantly grill my girlfriend about the details of the switch from Greece to Rome and then the fall of Rome and then rise of Feudalism and then the switch to nation-states. European history is fascinating.

For example, feudalism rose up in Japan somewhat analogously to the rise in Europe. Why then did nation-states start developing in quicker in Europe than in Japan? was it an issue of geography and trade?
05:19 PM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
Keri
Japan itself is a nation-state, so it cannot have nation-states within.
05:32 PM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
11:11
Soft sound
Temple, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
oh absolutely, I constantly grill my girlfriend about the details of the switch from Greece to Rome and then the fall of Rome and then rise of Feudalism and then the switch to nation-states. European history is fascinating.

For example, feudalism rose up in Japan somewhat analogously to the rise in Europe. Why then did nation-states start developing in quicker in Europe than in Japan? was it an issue of geography and trade?

Yes! European history is my favorite. Though I also have a soft spot for the Egyptians.

I love the evolution of society, but the evolution of warfare might be my favorite part of history - from simple tools to words, from armies to germs...the way that conflict arises and settles is incredibly fascinating.
08:54 PM on 07/12/12 
User Info.
lockedheart
some nights
Brussels, BE
Female
I love progressive and humanistic history!
Also revolutionary history
Monarchical history
Rise/Fall of regimes

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums