AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Star City Meltdown - 07.09.12

Star City Meltdown - 07.09.12

Interviewed by
Star City Meltdown - 07.09.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Star City Meltdown

http://j.mp/herewithyou
http://twitter.com/starcitymeltdwn
http://www.facebook.com/starcitymeltdwn
http://www.youtube.com/starcitymeltdownband
http://www.standbyrecords.net/bands/star-city-meltdown

Questions answered by bassist Cody Cupp

1. How did you get your band name?

We had floated tons of name ideas around, but none of them were really working for us. We had written a song titled, "A Night In Star City" that was really dark, and we loved how that name sounded. After a little bit of trial and error, we came up with Star City Meltdown.

2. How did this band get started?

This band got started when guitarist Lukas and myself disbanded our former band in search of new musical avenues. We toured the country as much as we could, and always kept our eyes out for people who we knew would mesh well with us personally and musically. Eventually, we had the right lineup in place, had recorded a debut album produced by former Creed bassist Brett Hestla (Framing Hanley, Dark New Day), and were starting to get touring opportunities with bands like Saliva and Korn. We made some pretty big strides very quickly, but it's seemed like a very gradual process to us.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We're influenced by so many different bands. We love old Metallica, Motley Cre, and more modern stuff like Glassjaw, Deftones and Slipknot.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

If we could put together a tour package with Star City Meltdown opening for Deftones I could die happy. They're so innovative, incredibly heavy and very melodic. I think we're the perfect compliment to their sound, and I'd love to be a fan seeing THAT tour.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

It's best to try and eat healthy whenever possible. Fast food makes you blow up, and makes you feel awful. You absolutely DO NOT want to be in a van, or bus surrounded by 5 other guys with a belly full of tacos. I refer to that as the "Rock N' Roll Dutch Oven".

6. Why should people listen to your band?

People should listen to Star City Meltdown because we're offering the fans something musically different. We miss the days when rock music made you think, genuinely made you feel something, and encouraged you to forget your problems for a night and truley enjoy life. I miss those days, and I think a lot of other rock fans do too. We're hoping that our record can help people feel that way again, and remember how much fun heavy music can be.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

I'd switch places with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson if I could switch places with any athlete. That guy has had an amazingly successful career, is an impeccable athlete, and has millions of fans across the world from both his WWE career, and his film career. Plus I'd have an awesome catch phrase: "If you smell what The Rock is cookin'" What's not to love?

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

If I won a Grammy, I'd thank anyone who ever walked beside of me, believed in me, or pushed me to be the best artist I could possibly be. I'd thank anyone who ever told me, "You'll never make it" for giving me the motivation to continue to break barriers. Most importantly, I'd thank every single fan, because without their support and dedication, I'd be nowhere.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I would change the fact that the music industry as a whole has been very "gimmick" based over the past decade. I enjoy theatrics, concepts, and a really great image, but I just feel like great songs that make the listener feel something are where the focus should be placed.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Getting the opportunity to meet Jonathan Davis and the rest of the guys from Korn while out with them was an amazing experience. I've been a huge Korn fan since I was young, and getting the opportunity to share the stage with them, and them give words of encouragement about what we're doing musically was pretty incredible.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net means innovation to me. Absolute Punk is the place you go when you really want a glimpse of the future, and the art of music.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

My favorite song to play is, "Say What You Want", an unreleased track from our upcoming label debut. We open with the song during our live set, and it always gets a killer pop from the crowd. It's heavy, and just a super fun tune to play live.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I like to spend my off time in The Great Smokey Mountains. I grew up in that area as a kid, and there's something so peaceful about being there. It really gives you the opportunity to clear your mind, and walk away feeling mentally and physically refreshed.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

When I was young and riding in the car with my dad, the radio was always blasting classic rock. There are photos of me as a toddler in a Guns N' Roses bandana. I guess you could say I cut my teeth to Led Zeppelin, Queen, Black Sabbath, and all the other greats. It's in my blood, and I still love classic rock to this day.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

If I could have any super power, I'd choose the power of precognition, better known as the ability to see the future. Knowing what the future holds seems like it could help you avoid some bad situations, and some nasty hangovers!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

We get together, have a few drinks, and just try to keep the mood real light. It's a pretty extreme contrast given the intensity of our live show. It's almost like the calm before a storm.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Most fans don't know that I have a really awful tattoo that my bandmates, and friends refer to as "The Prison Tat"

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I think radio is pretty much the same as it has been for the past 15 years. You get tons of tracks, but only a few of those are truley unique, stand out singles. Those are the songs the fans gravitate to, and those are the songs that become monster hits. Our single, "Here With You" has been getting spins in select radio markets, and it's been getting a great response. I think radio is going to be a huge factor in exposing our music to the masses, and I think we'll succeed there.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

When I'm not on the road, or in the studio, I'm typically partying, playing video games, or trying to find new ways to stay in touch with fans. I really like keeping them engaged, and involved in what's going on with the band.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

My biggest hidden talent is painting and sketching. It's something I picked up a few years ago, but just haven't ever taken my interest or ability public. It allows me to be creative, but in a totally different way.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version