I (Jacob) was doing some research on BANE one day and one of the things that popped up was a phrase: "bÍte noire" - A French phrase for the "bane of someone's existence." It was different, so it stuck!
2. How did this band get started?
I used to be in a metalcore band that referred to themselves as "hardcore". I enjoyed the melodic side, but the heavy shit got old fast. Besides, everyone hated us not for our music, but for the attitudes of some of the members. So I decided to jump ship and start a new band.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Honestly, I would say primarily the Foo Fighters. With a *hint* of all the other bands I listen to.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Definitely the Foo Fighters. Definitely Blink 182. Definitely Have Heart. And probably Bruso's Bury Your Dead.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Whatever costs the least and is available.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
I don't think anyone should listen to my band over anything else they do unless it really means something to them. And I guess that's what I'm trying to achieve: Meaningful music. People should fall in naturally, so if no one is feeling it, something's wrong and needs to change. Though I'll admit, if someone really digs it, it's super flattering and I do everything to retain them as my friend or at least as a fan.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Peyton Manning. No question. I bleed Orange.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Rush. It was the first group of musicians that made me actually seriously consider picking up an instrument.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
More transparency. I feel like there is such a disconnection with the big picture of music. We should make music to fill an empty heart, not an empty wallet. People should be held accountable for their actions and stars should make a better effort to connect with fans. I think that's why I draw to the hardcore community so strongly.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Singing various Usher and Ludacris songs on the ride home from Alabama with our good friends in a band called Orthodox (www.facebook.com/orthodoxtn)
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It was my first big insight into the Punk and Pop-Punk scenes. I've found everything from setlists, to new music videos, to new merch, and everything in between. It's simple, straight-forward, and very helpful.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Of my band's: Slowly Sinking
In general: Anything by the Red Hot Chili Peppers or New Found Glory
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Anywhere warm, sunny, and wet.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Sum 41 and the Backstreet Boys. Eminem, too.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Let's be honest, it's cliche, but Superman is the man. He can fly. He has super-strength. AND he is never truly "human"; He was raised as one and pretends to be one into his adulthood to preserve his true identity.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really. I drink some water, have a cigarette, and hop up under those lights.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Although I'm balding and I have facial hair, I'm only 20.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Not really. Radio hasn't bothered to progress much with the times. If anything, they've regressed to a very primitive state. It's a business, so they want to play what's profitable and not necessarily what's "different". And that's not an insult to them - They have families to feed, too.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Play music. That about sums it up!
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm actually an incredible lover, ladies. It's not a gut - It's the gas tank to the love machine.