AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Murder by Death News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Murder by Death Start Kickstarter

Posted by - 03:01 PM on 07/12/12
Murder By Death started a Kickstarter to raise money for the vinyl release of Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
03:07 PM on 07/12/12
thesinkingship
blackwitababy
User Info.
I love this band and pledged.

However, $100,000 seems steep. I know they are doing two separate pressings with the special edition being abnormally expensive to press.
03:16 PM on 07/12/12
anamericangod
User Info.
$100,000 for a vinyl release? What the fuck?
03:31 PM on 07/12/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Someone found the Amanda Palmer Kickstarter and went:

"Why not us?"
03:36 PM on 07/12/12
_veges_
User Info.
Despite $100,000 being ridiculously high, the rewards are pretty good imo
03:46 PM on 07/12/12
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
$100,000 for a vinyl release? What the fuck?

Since I know you're the expert on this kind of shit, how much would it normally take to put out a vinyl release?
04:06 PM on 07/12/12
anamericangod
User Info.
Since I know you're the expert on this kind of shit, how much would it normally take to put out a vinyl release?
Well obviously they are doing more than just pressing a couple hundred copies of a record, so that's part of why the costs are so high. If they were really only wanting to raise the funds strictly to put out maybe 1000 records with really nice packaging, it could probably be done for around $5,000. The more fancy things get, the more the price would increase, of course.

This just seems like an excuse to raise an amount of money that is wildly unnecessary. They say the project is to press the vinyl, but then go on to talk about how they have 5 mouths to feed. But, if people are willing to pay for it, then whatever. Great for them.
04:16 PM on 07/12/12
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
holy crap, 100k.
04:17 PM on 07/12/12
thesinkingship
blackwitababy
User Info.
Despite $100,000 being ridiculously high, the rewards are pretty good imo
I think the rewards themselves are definitely well priced and worth what they entail. Still, it's obvious they are raising extra money to pay themselves.

I don't think they'll reach the goal. I can see them breaching 60,000 but not much more.
05:02 PM on 07/12/12
Goat01
No Retreat, No Regrets.
User Info.
$6,500, Cedar Point with the band to ride roller coasters. Awesome.
I wish I had some cash, I love this band.
05:24 PM on 07/12/12
skrillzzz1109
User Info.
Well obviously they are doing more than just pressing a couple hundred copies of a record, so that's part of why the costs are so high. If they were really only wanting to raise the funds strictly to put out maybe 1000 records with really nice packaging, it could probably be done for around $5,000. The more fancy things get, the more the price would increase, of course.

This just seems like an excuse to raise an amount of money that is wildly unnecessary. They say the project is to press the vinyl, but then go on to talk about how they have 5 mouths to feed. But, if people are willing to pay for it, then whatever. Great for them.
If people are willing to fork out cash on the band, who gives a shit what their goal is? I forked out $300 for the Bitter Drink test press package. These packages are incredible and worth it.

Also, little over a day and they're over $35K already.

And I guarantee at least one person does the $5K personal show.

I think it's a bit silly to criticize their goal. Especially since some of the packages are gifts of things FOREVER. So they'll need back up funds in the future to cover those costs which could carry over for a decade or more depending on their life span.
05:59 PM on 07/12/12
trojanick
they all got boyfriends anyway
User Info.
Someone found the Amanda Palmer Kickstarter and went:

"Why not us?"

06:06 PM on 07/12/12
amorning_ofsleep
Drink 23 more
User Info.
I love the drummer's tattoo package.
06:11 PM on 07/12/12
TheDillon
twitter.com/thedillon
User Info.
some really cool packages!
06:16 PM on 07/12/12
thesinkingship
blackwitababy
User Info.

I think it's a bit silly to criticize their goal. Especially since some of the packages are gifts of things FOREVER. So they'll need back up funds in the future to cover those costs which could carry over for a decade or more depending on their life span.

That's not what Kickstarter is for. It is to fund projects and as a rule of thumb the goal should not exceed expected cost of the project. Even subtracting what it would cost to press the vinyl and fund any expenses related to the rewards, they are making a sizable profit that is going straight to their pockets.

I don't care that people are willing to donate money (I did myself) but I think it is misleading to begin a Kickstarter for a vinyl pressing with the vast majority of the goal won't be used on.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos