AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Villebillies - 07.12.12

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (07/12/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Villebillies

Villebillies.com
facebook.com/villebillies
villebillies@twitter
reverbnation.com/villebillies

1. How did you get your band name?

Vocalist (Child) referred to us as Villebillies in a verse in the early days and it seemed fitting. Outside of Kentucky, lots of people stereotype us as hillbillies but here we considered ourselves city boys. So being from Louisville we said, "no we're Villebillies."

2. How did this band get started?

Villebillies is a mixture of two bands actually. Plan of Man was a rock outfit I fronted with the live band. Kentucky Bread was a rap crew consisting of the MC's and beat makers. I was in both. For me it was a great assortment of creativity and fun. We started collaborating and playing shows together. We became like a family. We decided to form a "supergroup" if you will with an original sound that we and the people grew fond of quickly.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Many different influences really. With this many heads in the group there's too many to name them all. I'd say Michael Jackson, Outkast, Beastie Boys, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Misfits and Bob Dylan to name a few.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Well, when it comes to tour one would want to go on the road with someone they enjoy musically of course but I think its more important to be in front of a crowd that will take on your music and buy your records. Making new fans is the big picture. Kid Rock would be a no-brainer as far as gaining fans and exposure but we did go on tour with Hed PE and their fans seemed to really dig us so it's hard to say.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Best food on tour was Cracker Barrel, haha (that is, when we were in the South). I try to eat healthier these days though so I'd be hitting up Whole Foods and stocking up any chance I got. I can't mess with fast food or gas station gourmet these days.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

People should listen to our band because we're original, hit a broad range of styles, and we're raw and true to the people we are every step of the way. If you like the Villebillies you'll love the Villebillies. At least that's what they say.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Athlete? hmmm... Any retired one who is not injured so I could make music all day, travel and enjoy the numbers in their bank account.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

If we won a Grammy I would think everyone who has supported the band in any way.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

What I would change about the industry? I wish it was more about creativity and originality and less about image and who you know.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Memorable tour experience? The bands on tour would pull pranks on each other a lot. One show as soon as we went on the band Mower from San Diego came on stage with mops and brooms and started sweeping us off the stage like we were on the Gong show. We decided to get a little revenge so we switched their intro music (which was dark background noise) with Ru Paul. That 'Work it Girl' song. Total comedy. Needless to say the other bands left us alone after that.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

The Absolute Punk site is actually new to me. After looking through it I noticed how many topics it covers. This is really cool. I plan on looking into it much more.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

My favorite song to play was always 'Stranger' but my new jam is 'Side Show' because its my favorite song on the new album.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

My favorite vacation spots were Seattle WA and Portland Oregon but if I had the time and money I would go see the Pyramids, Stonehenge and places like Machu Picchu etc.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

My child hood memory music varies. A lot of 80's and early 90's music come to mind. Everything from Michael Jackson, Belinda Carlisle, and Def Leppard to Pantera, Nirvana and The Misfits.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Super Power would be flight. I'd stay very occupied with that.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

I dont have any pre show rituals really.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

A lot of fans probably don't know I'm a cancer survivor. i was diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma when I was 21. It was a wake up call to say the least.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

As far as radio is concerned it depends. Satellite radio can be pretty awesome at times. Internet radio is on the rise as well. We all know corporate radio plays the same ten songs on repeat and most people I know quit bothering with it years ago. Villebillies would work on the radio sure. Seems like any music can work on the radio if its shoved down your throat enough. You can put a few million dollars behind anyone and they 'work' on the radio.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time I research conspiracy theories and anything supernatural or alien. Reading between the lines would be the safest way to put it.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

As far as hidden talents that I can speak of I can draw pretty well and play guitar. I drew the scarecrow from our first album. Most talents are known though. I feel like if you have them and don't use them that's pretty wasteful.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums