AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Brighter Brightest - Right For Me Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 10
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Brighter Brightest - Right For Me

Reviewed by: Anthony Sorendino (07/13/12)
Brighter Brightest - Right For Me
Record Label: Black Box Recordings / MapleMusic
Release Date: August 9, 2011

When I saw that there wasn't already a review of this album, I was shocked. I found these Toronto pop-rockers on Spotify a few months ago and have been hooked ever since. Right for Me has almost been out for a year now, and whatever attention it's received thus far, it just isn't enough.

Brighter Brightest has teamed up with renowned producer Machine (Armor For Sleep, Chiodos) to put together 12* absolutely vying tracks. Each song sounds like it's trying to outdo the one before it, resulting in a 38 minute non-stop joyride of pop-rock goodness. As the indelible melodies of the first few tracks entered my head I thought, "Okay, this is pretty good but they're following that familiar formula: best songs first, throw a decent one in the middle, and then end on another good song."

Boy was I wrong. Dead wrong.

Am I moving fast enough for you?

In the hammering opener, "All I Know", Ryan Mansbridge unleashes behind the drums as vocalist Derek Hoffman sings about helplessly sitting on the sidelines and watching someone you love get manipulated ("All I see is him trying to take you, dying to take you down...").

The aptly titled "Moving" begged me to turn my speakers up. It combines effortlessly with the previous "Everyday" to set the pace for the middle of the record. Afterwards, I was expecting some dull transitional songs just to fill space but I then realized that "Moving" wasn't begging me at all, it was warning me. Brighter Brightest hasn't even begun yet.

I think there's something we need to talk about...

A wise man once said "If you want to hear the real music from an artist, travel to the heart of the record." Well, actually, I just made that up but here's the part of the album that really counts. "Way Back Down" and "Who I'm Supposed to Be" are both impressive tracks, the former sporting an outstanding performance by guitarist Kyle Topping. "Invisible" starts off with a sporadic guitar riff and a catchy melody and includes a great bridge with Hoffman singing, "'Cause sometimes I know, you gotta face it, and realize we're okay. Give the dream a little space, to realize that we're okay."

"When Will I Wake Up" is an interesting song, lyrically. In the first verse, Hoffman recites, "I think I messed up 'cause I'm so tired, dealing with myself and how I'm always right." During the song's chorus and later verses, he changes his outlook and realizes that he's due up for some changes. This introspective verse is a great example of the band's versatility; it's not just about fun guitars and catchy melodies.

All along, I knew that this was right for me...

If the first eight tracks weren't enough to sell me, these last four tracks closed the deal like Rainn Wilson and Alec Baldwin together on a sales call. It's as if the members of the band went backstage, took a shot of something given to them by Bugs Bunny, and then returned to record the rest of the album. The next four songs are Brighter Brightest at their...well, brightest. "You Got Me" starts off with a soaring intro that leads into a calm first verse and then right into one of the best choruses on the record. No one holds back on this song.

"It's Not Easy" is my favorite track. It's one of those songs that I just lose myself to. Everything about this song just shines, any further words will just devalue it.

"Right For Me" is the crown jewel of this record. It begins acoustically with Hoffman revisiting his mindset in "Wake Up," singing "You could say I was afraid of everything, I was afraid of anything that would tell me I was wrong." You can almost here the band itching to come in, as Hoffman continues by himself for the first minute and a half. The song explodes from there and ends the record in grand fashion.

The album's bonus track, "Over & Again" has become an integral part of the record for me. It's just too unforgettable to disregard because it's probably the catchiest on the record. The song acts as a celebratory victory lap. Well done guys. Well done.

Machine has really brought out the best of these guys and they've made great progress from their earlier work. They've come together to create such a fun, honest record that's sure to act as a launching point into their future career. Hoffman sums the band's outlook up nicely: "We're a pop band and we sing catchy songs, but at the end of the day, we want you to believe us, we want you to invest yourself in us as people, and as musicians, not just as a band in the scene."

* I'm including the bonus track "Over & Again"

Recommended If You LikeListening to music in the car; A Rocket to the Moon, My Favorite Highway, Take Cover, The Rocket Summer, Mercy Mercedes, Fall Out Boy, The Starting Line

Tracklist1. All I Know
2. Everyday
3. Moving
4. Way Back Down
5. Who I'm Supposed to Be
6. Invisible
7. Kiss
8. When Will I Wake Up
9. You Got Me
10. It's Not Easy
11. Right For Me
12. Over & Again (Bonus Track)

Additional InformationBrighter Brightest is:
Ryan Mansbridge (drums)
Kyle Topping (guitar)
Alex Westgate (bass, vocals)
Derek Hoffman (vocals, guitar)

Official Website
Facebook
Twitter
Purevolume
AbsolutePunk

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
04:58 PM on 07/16/12
providence36
generator ^ first floor
User Info.
good review!
06:09 PM on 07/16/12
pepster50
User Info.
saw them at scene fest in St.Catharines Ontario ! SO GOOD ! This album is amazing ! PEOPLE CHECK THEM OUT !
12:55 AM on 07/17/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
I'm sorry dude, I really am, but... I love this album and I just don't agree with any of what you said. Theirs an undeniable spark in this band and I can feel it full fledged, it's just not there yet though too me. I love dudes voice, the lyrics were probably a 4 though for me. And that is a main part of why I couldn't praise this record, it sounds like it's directed towards a high school relationship in every song and it bored me after each listen. Also, I think it's safe to say this band is absolutely nothing but Pop-Punk and doesn't sound like any of the RIYL except A Rocket to the Moon, but Justin Richards is a much better guitarist and Take Cover. BUT, whenever I'm in the mood to tap my toes and jump up and down, I certainly spin this record just for the feel of it. I could never favorite them at this level though.

On the other hand, your review was superb! I love your writing style and you completely drew me in and surely showcased the strong points of the band. Keep writing, I will always read them.

Other people, check this band out, they're not worth passing up and I believe they will get better for my personal tastes sooner than later.
05:21 AM on 07/17/12
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
I'm sorry dude, I really am, but... I love this album and I just don't agree with any of what you said. Theirs an undeniable spark in this band and I can feel it full fledged, it's just not there yet though too me. I love dudes voice, the lyrics were probably a 4 though for me. And that is a main part of why I couldn't praise this record, it sounds like it's directed towards a high school relationship in every song and it bored me after each listen. Also, I think it's safe to say this band is absolutely nothing but Pop-Punk and doesn't sound like any of the RIYL except A Rocket to the Moon, but Justin Richards is a much better guitarist and Take Cover. BUT, whenever I'm in the mood to tap my toes and jump up and down, I certainly spin this record just for the feel of it. I could never favorite them at this level though.

On the other hand, your review was superb! I love your writing style and you completely drew me in and surely showcased the strong points of the band. Keep writing, I will always read them.

Other people, check this band out, they're not worth passing up and I believe they will get better for my personal tastes sooner than later.
No need to apologize, man. Thanks for your input!

I've decided to be pretty liberal with my RIYL section. It's not necessarily "these bands sound similar to this band" but more of "hey, if you like these bands, you may like this band" you know?
05:56 AM on 07/17/12
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
strange... I listened to this record today. great pop-rock. I'd add The Maine in the RIYL. Right For Me is better than their last two records.
08:09 PM on 08/01/12
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I think your review is good, now that I'm finally getting back to you. I agree that this band is incredibly underrated, even in Canada. I think they have the potential to reach the level Marianas Trench is at, but sadly they still have a long way to go.

As for the RIYL, I'd also toss in Fall Out Boy, The Starting Line and bands like that. Not a lot of bands are carrying on the torch nowadays, but I think these guys do a good job, and that's one of the reasons why I personally love them so much.

And "It's Not Easy" is a great choice for a favourite track. I love that song too.
09:32 AM on 08/02/12
Anthony Sorendino
User Info.
I think your review is good, now that I'm finally getting back to you. I agree that this band is incredibly underrated, even in Canada. I think they have the potential to reach the level Marianas Trench is at, but sadly they still have a long way to go.

As for the RIYL, I'd also toss in Fall Out Boy, The Starting Line and bands like that. Not a lot of bands are carrying on the torch nowadays, but I think these guys do a good job, and that's one of the reasons why I personally love them so much.

And "It's Not Easy" is a great choice for a favourite track. I love that song too.
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your input. I added FOB and TSL to the RIYL section.
11:27 PM on 04/30/13
DanHTM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
still listening to this all the time, its nice to see it was reviewed well
08:08 PM on 01/13/14
Sawhney[rusted]
User Info.
Just getting into this. This is extremely solid stuff. Excited for the new album this year!
08:17 PM on 01/13/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Just getting into this. This is extremely solid stuff. Excited for the new album this year!

Haha, did my Most Anticipated blurb have anything to do with it? Regardless I'm stoked to see Brighter Brightest gain another fan! These guys rule.
09:17 PM on 01/13/14
Sawhney[rusted]
User Info.
Haha, did my Most Anticipated blurb have anything to do with it? Regardless I'm stoked to see Brighter Brightest gain another fan! These guys rule.
guilty...

And yeah, just finished the album, its great. Expect big things. I have a weird soft spot for Canadian bands/music.
01:24 AM on 01/14/14
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
guilty...

And yeah, just finished the album, its great. Expect big things. I have a weird soft spot for Canadian bands/music.

Haha so do I. They seem to be doing it right up there! If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out Greater Than Giants - High Stakes EP.
03:16 PM on 01/14/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
guilty...

Awesome to hear! And yeah, I'm actually surprised bigger things haven't happened for this band yet, even the shows they play up here in Canada are still pretty small.
05:48 AM on 01/16/14
Anthony Sorendino
User Info.
Glad to see some chatter on here :)

Definitely stoked for 2014 for them as well, Deborah!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests