AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Armor for Sleep News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Armor For Sleep Talk About The Scene

Posted by - 11:16 AM on 07/13/12
Armor For Sleep recently sat down to talk about their past, reunion, and where the scene is now.
From the InterviewThere will always be kids passionate about it, but between 2003 and 2007 or 2008 is when this scene had it’s time that was going to be something that was going to stay or be a fad. Based on certain factors and certain people’s decisions who are in certain taste-maker bands, it just went sour and went the wrong way. I don’t think it’ll really have that same kind of effect on as many people as it did on that time. It was almost the mainstream form of music then, and it changed a lot of people’s lives and then it went sour because it did. I think it’ll be there and people will make creative and awesome records, but it won’t be like a giant wave of creativity like it was then.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 123
11:20 AM on 07/13/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Back then there were so many less bands out at the time so it was much more feasible to give a wide array of bands a chance or at least be familiar with the majority of the bands in the scene. These days it's so easy to get your music out there which has spawned an absolute massive outbreak of promising bands. So much so, that many great bands get lost in the shuffle.
11:29 AM on 07/13/12
neversaynever73
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I couldn't agree with this more. It's a sad realization that many have had, including myself, that the style of music we grew up enjoying/playing is no longer a sustainable means to support ones self. At this point you either have to chase the ever changing trend and embrace it or play what you love and work 9-5. I do the ladder of the ideas but would enjoy if I could turn back the clock about 5 years.
11:35 AM on 07/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I just don't think bands in this "scene" are writing, by and large, as compelling of albums. There are a few exceptions (Gaslight Anthem, for example).
11:38 AM on 07/13/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Looking back now, you can tell why people say this scene is dead. Then you look around at the other bands and "scenes" at the time and see why the still exist and release music people give a shit about.

Ben is a complete realist about his band and the type of music they played. It was a fad and I was a fan. It was fun being a teenager during it all.
11:41 AM on 07/13/12
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
I never get too focused on the "scene" or whatever. There are always great bands and musicians out there if you're willing to look instead of just keeping an eye out for what's popular.
11:45 AM on 07/13/12
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Look harder.
11:53 AM on 07/13/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

In what sense?
11:55 AM on 07/13/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I just don't think bands in this "scene" are writing, by and large, as compelling of albums. There are a few exceptions (Gaslight Anthem, for example).

You can only be truly impressed so many times. After a certain point it's easy to feel like you've heard it all before and might miss out on great albums.
11:57 AM on 07/13/12
mattjritter
USMNT ♦ AVFC
User Info.
I wouldn't put Gaslight Anthem in as part of the scene. They're much more than that at this point.

I agree with what is said here. Hell, even a band like The Junior Varsity put out solid albums (Wide Eyed especially). Never got enough credit. If that album came out today I would love it just as much as I did when it came out in 2005.
11:57 AM on 07/13/12
MrGlanthor
The next Paul Heyman Guy
User Info.
Hoping to see them tommorrow
12:00 PM on 07/13/12
Eraux
Nothing Important Happened Today.
User Info.
I accept that notion.
12:00 PM on 07/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
You can only be truly impressed so many times. After a certain point it's easy to feel like you've heard it all before and might miss out on great albums.
Maybe for you ... I'm continually blown away by truly great albums. This scene just isn't where they are currently being produced at a high clip. The biggest bands in this scene today are nowhere near the level they were 8 years ago.
12:05 PM on 07/13/12
robdobi
hates your guts.
User Info.
seriously, look harder. this new glocca morra album has been ripping me a new butthole for a few days, as has the new fang island as has countless other albums. for everyone who thinks the 2003-2008 was a bright period there are people like myself who hated it. right now things are rad as hell, just look around.
12:07 PM on 07/13/12
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
ready for tomorrow!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT