AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Psyphen - 07.16.12

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (07/16/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Psyphen

www.psyphen.com

1. How did you get your band name?

It's a mix of words/concepts. The basic premise is that as a band, our music and lyrics - and follow me here, this gets a little acid trippy - are transferred via tools (guitars, mics, etc) from one set of minds to another. A sort of cognitive 'siphoning'. Ordinary communication is essentially the same thing, transferring thoughts and ideas, but music is on another level. So the concept of transferring (siphon) thoughts/ideas/personality (psyche) and hopefully shining new perspectives to the listener (phen is a greek suffix meaning 'bring to light'). Psy + phen = Psyphen (pronounced as siphon).

2. How did this band get started?

Boredom. A bucket full of ideas. An interest in what we as collective musicians could create.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Its always tough to identify all the things that influence your band's sound. In reality, more than just 'bands' influence us as musicians. Especially from a perspective of lyrics. Music, movies, emotions from life experiences, concepts that move and inspire us in our daily lives, all in some way manifest themselves in our art. Even focusing on bands alone, it proves troublesome. As a 5-piece, we have very vast tastes in music in many genres. For example, blues and reggae may not seem present at all in our music from a sound perspective, but the emotion contained in those types of music are certainly influential on how we create our music.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I think this focuses on both who do we respect as bands as well as whom we'd fit with musically. Using those two criteria, we'd likely say Tool, deftones, Chevelle... There's plenty more but those three would definitely be an honor to join on tour.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

You'll probably get 5 different answers from all of us, but Filiberto's is amazing, cheap, and 'sticks to your ribs'.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Not sure we offer any new or unique reason why anyone 'should' listen to us, as someone should probably listen to modern bands like Rage Against the Machine for (whether you agree with them or not) political perspectives much as the 60's were dominated by them, or how budding musicians listen to something like freeform jazz to understand and develop creativity not bound by the typical cliche song structures in rock, but if this is our 'elevator pitch', I suppose they should listen because we consider music an artform but are not 'artsy', we drive our music with emotion but are more proud of subtle emotives, and strive to push the limits of our musicianship while very consciously making sure it fits the mood of the song, even if it forces us to dial technicalities back. In short, we are very critical of our own work, and feel the end result is one that others will appreciate as well.

[b]7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?[b]

Well, Tiger Woods is one of the richest athletes with one of the least rigid and physically demanding conditioning regimens, sooo, yeah, probably Tiger Woods. Although Craig is obsessed with football, so he'd probably pick a quarterback.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

My mom. Hi mom! And Satan. Just kidding of course. (Hi dad!)

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Same thing that is ugly about all things human - corruption. E.g., devaluing artist contribution, payola, etc...

10. Memorable tour experience?

Any packed house is always memorable. I don't think that will ever get old.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net represents music for what its worth. It's characterizes what the Internet has done for so many industries, which is that it gives everyone a shot, big or small. One of the great equalizers for the music industry.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Usually this is our newest song. Whichever one we haven't played 1000 times already.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

The beach. There's something strangely alluring about the edge of the earth where the world you live in meets a world you couldn't survive in.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

70's and 80's sitcom showtunes. The era of our childhood was loaded with family friendly sitcoms.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Hmmm, dunno. Stop time maybe? You could potentially prevent a lot of accidents from happening, have time to think things through before acting on them, etc.. Well, wait. I could easily see becoming obsessive-compulsive with that one. Super human strength? Yeah, you could do some pretty cool party tricks with that one.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Hmm, superstitions? Well, I'm pretty convinced that if we forget to bring our equipment to a show, it likely won't go well.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Three of us have known each other almost our entire lives. Matt was in diapers (although still is sometimes).

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Major labels have a lock on mainstream radio and independent bands have little to no chance for significant radio play there. Smaller market stations like college and small alternative radio, at least in Arizona, tend to serve the 'indie' genre of music, which ours is a bit too heavy for.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Spare time? What's that?!

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Getting on other band members' nerves. We're all pretty skilled at that.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
09:13 PM on 07/16/12
whywar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so i dont mean to sound like a complete dick....but, Id like to know if your trying to say your would be in the same kind of "category" as TooL, The Deftones and Chevelle. If so then I might be a bit more critical because if u pull it off youll be a new fav band. if not then I will not be so harsh. Sorry but you named three very amazing bands that I love.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS