Password

Album Review

For the Fallen Dreams - Wasted Youth Album Cover

For the Fallen Dreams - Wasted Youth

Reviewed by
For the Fallen Dreams - Wasted Youth
Record Label: Razor & Tie
Release Date: July 17, 2012
It could be said For the Fallen Dreams can’t catch a break. Plenty of people, including myself, compared their last full-length Backburner to something a little too close to A Day to Remember’s Homesick. It seems now that even as A Day to Remember is finding a way to build upon that sound, For the Fallen Dreams is doing a similar act in trying to keep their brand of hook-laced metalcore fresh. Wasted Youth sends mixed signals throughout though, namely through stagnant, formulaic on-off textural changes that can’t be saved by the often colossal riffs these guys flash at times. For a band seemingly unable to escape the tip of the tongue, Wasted Youth is a wasted opportunity that once again misses the mark and takes considerably too long to find its own stride.

There’s reliance on heavy verses leading to cleanly sung choruses throughout Wasted Youth, a move that while certainly pretty cliched at this point is only further hurt by the pretty lackluster vocals anchoring said choruses. It presents a visible flaw that does little to prove otherwise. Call it lack of strength or choosing not to slam the vocals with a ton of production, but it doesn’t take long for the rather flat clean vocals to totally throw off the much more powerful metalcore leanings of Wasted Youth. Arguably the biggest issue is that most of the time there is very little to bridge the gap between the two – save for the very upbeat “No One to Blame” or the huge yet melodically laced “Moving Forward”, the latter which manages to stay a bit bright regardless of the pounding guitars anchoring most of the track. It doesn’t help that “Waking Up Alone” basically exposes how much clean vocal talent there is here, suggesting this is an avenue this band should try to improve on in the future if they intend to include clean vocals in the songwriting process.

As far as FTFD’s prominently heavy grooves, the band again has its hits and misses throughout. “Hollow” opens the album with a jarring crack of downtuned guitars that churns without sounding too dissonant – an admittedly enjoyable way to start this album. “When Push Comes to Shove” falls into a similar category, branching again into territory generally reserved for The Acacia Strain that the band touched upon in Backburner. Again, the trap is set for a resolving chorus, and lyrically this track seems right in tune with the rhythmic pummeling we’re subject to otherwise, but the transition just doesn’t hold up.

“Funeral” is also a bit too quirky to build the proper momentum it needs with mid-tempo riffs and an almost Bury Your Dead undertone at times, especially in the screamed vocals. That undertone pops up every now and then (“Until It Runs Out”), but more often than not the riffs seem almost unable to escape the desire to inject some upbeat melodies into their otherwise quite metalcore-tapping sound. Yet as the formula wears thin, For The Fallen Dreams somehow finds a way to find a groove late in the game here. “Pretending” refreshes the band’s influence from A Day to Remember without sounding overly poppy. The undertones are there for this to morph into something they’ve been trying to do throughout the whole record – yet this track stands as one of few without a clean sung chorus. Much more confident and arguably leaner and meaner, this track shows the band at what they do best without overly relying on their influences.

For a band so ripe with hype and backing from their fans, it is surely disappointing to hear For The Fallen Dreams not only fail to build on Backburner, but also completely lose their train of thought in the process. With very little to be redeemed by, Wasted Youth finds a band surely needing to rethink themselves next time around if they plan to continue their build towards success and credibility.
This review is a user submitted review from Jason Gardner. You can see all of Jason Gardner's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
01:14 PM on 07/18/12
rushour144
User Info.
I dunno, for me, I was expecting to hate this album because I thought Backburner was terrible, especially considering their first two albums were insane! But, I was actually surprised with this album, and feel it is WAY better than Backburner, and has more elements from Relentless on it.

This band will never, though, be able to live up to Relentless and Changes because Andrew, the lead songwriter, is long gone. Shame they lost him, but very good thing for The Ghost Inside!

If anyone wants to see how an album like Wasted Youth SHOULD be done, go by TGI's new album!
04:32 PM on 07/18/12
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Man, I'd say the production on this thing deserves a 4. So bad. I guess I'm in a minority who really liked Back Burner and prefers Relentless to Changes but this album is one I just can't get into at all.

Resolvent Feelings is nice though. It's just funny to me that their first record not released on Rise is by far the most Risecore-sounding one yet.
06:13 PM on 07/18/12
Beej 347
twitter.com/billrepublic
User Info.
ehhhh this album is decent at best. the cleans were WAY better on Backburner, i wonder what they were thinking when making this album.
07:57 PM on 07/18/12
Jake Denning
User Info.
Backburner was pretty good. However, Changes will always be their best record. I'm not sure what to think about this record. If I had to give it any score right now, i'd give it a 70%, that could change at any time though.
08:21 PM on 07/18/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Man, I'd say the production on this thing deserves a 4. So bad. I guess I'm in a minority who really liked Back Burner and prefers Relentless to Changes but this album is one I just can't get into at all.

Resolvent Feelings is nice though. It's just funny to me that their first record not released on Rise is by far the most Risecore-sounding one yet.

Agreed on every point. I've ripped on this Tom Denney's production before so I'll let it go for now...arghh...fuck it. I hate his production, it's by far the most flat and compressed I've ever seen on a big scale. So many bands flock to him and I just don't get it. In metalcore having crushingily heavy accents is key but his recordings lack it big time. Changes was good but I think Relentless was overall a more diverse and fun record. Backburner had some great songs on it, "The Human Collective" and "Fist Fight" especially.
10:26 PM on 07/18/12
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i messaged denney about how much the production sucked and he flipped out
10:27 PM on 07/18/12
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Agreed on every point. I've ripped on this Tom Denney's production before so I'll let it go for now...arghh...fuck it. I hate his production, it's by far the most flat and compressed I've ever seen on a big scale. So many bands flock to him and I just don't get it. In metalcore having crushingily heavy accents is key but his recordings lack it big time. Changes was good but I think Relentless was overall a more diverse and fun record. Backburner had some great songs on it, "The Human Collective" and "Fist Fight" especially.
I, too, agree on every point here. ha. Though I actually like the production on Back Burner, I think that was Tom Denney too? Might be mistaken. Anyway, it definitely sounds ridiculously flat and compressed here. Just totally devoid of any life or urgency. No idea either why he's so often sought after.

I'd guess it's because of his ADTR cred or whatever and people just wanna work with him 'cause of that. Maybe. I don't know haha.
10:46 PM on 07/18/12
WeltallAY
User Info.
i messaged denney about how much the production sucked and he flipped out

Holy shit, can you post this? To make him even more mad you should have asked about the Brian incident lol.
10:47 PM on 07/18/12
WeltallAY
User Info.
I, too, agree on every point here. ha. Though I actually like the production on Back Burner, I think that was Tom Denney too? Might be mistaken. Anyway, it definitely sounds ridiculously flat and compressed here. Just totally devoid of any life or urgency. No idea either why he's so often sought after.

I'd guess it's because of his ADTR cred or whatever and people just wanna work with him 'cause of that. Maybe. I don't know haha.

Yeah it sounded better on BB, maybe someone else mixed or mastered it?
10:57 PM on 07/18/12
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Yeah it sounded better on BB, maybe someone else mixed or mastered it?
checked the liner notes and nah he handled all of that. weird. maybe it was just a fluke haha. anyway I'm curious to know what this Brian incident you alluded to in the other post is, ha
06:49 AM on 07/19/12
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Holy shit, can you post this? To make him even more mad you should have asked about the Brian incident lol.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f... ype=1&theater
07:15 AM on 07/19/12
WeltallAY
User Info.
checked the liner notes and nah he handled all of that. weird. maybe it was just a fluke haha. anyway I'm curious to know what this Brian incident you alluded to in the other post is, ha

Have you ever heard of the band We Are Defiance? Their screamer, Brian C. used to be in a band called Paddock Park whom worked with Tom Denney. Rumor has it that PP wanted access to some files that didn't make it into ADTR songs for inspiration for their own music. Apparently, Brian sucked Tom's dick to get them and someone uploaded the pictures online. Since then alot of people joked about it and spread this story around but it's not uncommon to find Brian or Tom online claiming a variety of things "it's not real" or "I was drunk".
03:14 PM on 07/19/12
dtomczak
always hungry.
User Info.
The cleans were bad on Backburner and they're bad on this one. This band went to shit ever since Denney got a hold of them. It's a shame. Changes and Relentless are such solid metalcore releases.

EDIT: And they've become so formulaic in their songwriting that it's hard to listen to an entire album.
04:10 PM on 07/20/12
WeltallAY
User Info.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News