AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Afterparty, The - 06.22.12

Afterparty, The - 06.22.12

Interviewed by
Afterparty, The - 06.22.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Afterparty
www.facebook.com/theafterpartyofficial

How did you get your band name?

It was actually taken from the title of Fall Out Boy's song 'The Afterlife Of The Party' from Infinity On High.

How did this band get started?

We had either all played in bands together before or knew each other from the Southampton music scene, and after awhile we realized we all wanted the same thing and had the same drive to do it.

What bands are you influenced by?

Our influences are pretty varied: Matt was previously in a metal band before joining, Nic and Dave used to play pop punk together when they were younger, Joe's influences are pretty metal and Matt Russell's played all sorts in the past. Bandwise I'd say things like The Starting Line had a fairly big impact on us, but also things like Opeth and Thrice have affected us as well.

If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Either Blink 182 or New Found Glory would be a given, also Jimmy Eat World but probably when they were touring Bleed American. Also Brand New around Deja Entendu would be good although we probably wouldn't fit the bill that well!

Best food to eat on tour?
Nando's!

Why should people listen to your band?
Because we like to party at our shows so people should come party with us!

If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Matt says Samuel Eto'o because he earns 1.8 million a month and runs really fast on FIFA!

If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Without doubt our manager, Leo, and the producer on our EP, Matt, for getting the best out of us.

If you could change something about the music industry what would it be?
Illegal downloading and the way the industry has become tougher in the past ten years partially as a result of this.

Memorable tour experience?

Our guitarist Matt playing nearly two weeks of shows on a broken wrist; he certainly won't forget that!

What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a really important way of keeping up with what's going on in the punk and rock music scene, particularly for the way it gets updated so frequently.

What is your favourite song to play?
I love playing "Sticks and Stones" because it's good to rock out to and because it has some great harmonies in it.

What is your vacation spot of choice?
I haven't had a holiday since September 2008! I could certainly use one though; maybe Italy, southern France or Spain? So long as it has a beach, some sun, good food and it's not too busy I'm keen!

What music reminds you of your childhood?
I actually don't remember listening to a lot of music myself when I was little; when I was around 12-13 I was really into Incubus though if that counts as childhood?

If you could have any super power what would it be? Why?
Flight, simple! I think I speak for most of the guys when I say we've been stretched fairly thinly across pretty much the whole of the south of England, from Cornwall to Hertfordshire. With girlfriends in other parts of the country in the mix too it's certainly had some difficult moments; imagine how much easier all that would be if we could fly?!

Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Apart from warmups not really, sorry! Maybe have a couple of drinks, go for some food and just relax.

What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I don't know! We're not very secretive!

What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I have to say the way radio's going it definitely seems to be leaning in favour of bands like us. In the last year or so the music media have been claiming that we're at the start of a 'revival' for British rock and that all these bands that have been sat outside the mainstream like Young Guns, Deaf Havana and LTA are finally breaking through. If there were ever a time when a band like ours had a shot at radio airplay then it certainly could be now.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Nothing that out of the ordinary: play FIFA or COD, write songs, party, work out a bit, just the usual stuff I guess.

What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Nic used to play a lot of county football, cricket and squash if that counts? Both our guitarists are also pretty capable drummers, and I can speak Spanish and Japanese.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests