Password

Album Review
Ride Your Bike - Bad News from the Bar Album Cover

Ride Your Bike - Bad News from the Bar

Reviewed by
Ride Your Bike - Bad News From The Bar
Label: Deep Elm Records
Release: October 2007

To each his own. That's my thoughts when it comes to certain bands that I love that other people are just so indifferent on. You know what i'm talking about, the band that you hold so close and dear that others just completely blow off. When reading some reviews for Ride Your Bike's Bad News From The Bar, this was my exact feelings. Bad News is one of the first records in a while to literally come out of left field, and take over my cd changer unlike any band in months. This isn't your typical Deep Elm band, no. As of late, Deep Elm has been signing bands they feel are good, but not the norm of their label. Look at Desoto Jones, which draws closer comparisons to Taking Back Sunday and Saosin rather than the bands that made Deep Elm what it is today (Planes Mistaken For Stars, Brandtson, The Appleseed Cast). Ride Your Bike and their counterparts are what I feel is a new generation of Deep Elm.

"
This is opening night, this is the curtain call of lifre." These are the first words sang on "We All Have Our Own Shoes". Which really shows how diverse this band is, showcasing what I think is a mandolin and a violin (I could be wrong though), and it really blends well with Mike Getches vocals (which I will guarantee the elitists will dislike). The next track, "We Couldn't Walk With Such Noise" is really shows Getches' writing ability with lines like "Like when the cops read my journal. And asked me a question. What are you some kind of writer. I just smiled and shook my head. I said look my friend its questions like these that stop us dead. And that shinny badge you wear. Yeah the one you keep polished. Well it means nothing." It really draws you into the story, make you feeling like you're actually there. Later songs, "This Car Is Hot As Hell" and one of the few electric songs on this record "So If We" are some of the other tracks that really draw you in making a ménage à trois between the lyrics, instrumentals, and Getches vocals.

This is one of those bands that only certain people can get into, it's not completely accessible by everyone. Some will play it's quirky lyrics down saying it's unoriginal, but what is original these days? Even Mozart was influenced by someone, so just enjoy the music for what it is. Fun indie-pop with erratic lyrics and simple melodies. Once you get past their childish band name, check these guys out, because I have a good feeling that this won't be the last time you hear about them.

Recommended If You LikeBright Eyes, Death Cab For Cutie, Weakerthans, Kevin Devine
Track Listing
1. We All Have Our Own Shoes
2. We Couldn't Walk With Such Noise
3. Sticks And Stones
4. Dug In Deep
5. Faster
6. This Car Is Hot As Hell
7. Knack For Faith (The Inside Of A Cop Car)
8. Sense Of Things (Whiskey)
9. So If We
10. Coat Rack
11. And Just Like That

Myspace
Deep Elm
This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
06:30 PM on 12/09/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
gah ga gaaaa

can't wait to read this.
12:00 PM on 12/10/07
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think this could have been a better review (stylistically and grammatically), but you've influenced me to check them out.
02:53 AM on 12/11/07
robdobi
hates your guts.
User Info.
definitely for fans of park.
08:02 PM on 12/11/07
EverydayHeart
User Info.
amazing band. awesome review.
06:14 AM on 01/16/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Underrated review. One of my favorite records this year.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos