AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Against Me! News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Guardian Talks with Laura Jane Grace

Posted by - 01:13 PM on 07/26/12
The Guardian recently sat down with Laura Jane Grace (Against Me!) for an in-depth interview.
From the ArticleIt's a feeling of great existential dread. Peripherally, being aware of the way you are in your body and feeling cognisant of the fact that I'm male like looking down and seeing male features and feeling, internally, 'but I'm not'. You feel a detachment, and you feel hyper-aware of everything that's around you. Then, at the same time, you feel extreme feelings of shame and guilt and confusion, so that all works into a nice little cocktail in your head.

Submitted by youngmountain

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
01:20 PM on 07/26/12
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Real good read.
01:23 PM on 07/26/12
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Great read. Waiting for my first show to see Laura on stage, which should be Riotfest.
01:38 PM on 07/26/12
Feenucks
Majority Bones
User Info.
I absolutely fucking LOVE Against Me! and I support Laura and the band 100%, but it would be nice to see just ONE interview that wasn't all about being Transgender. Not trying to be that guy and I know this new album will be heavy on the subject...I just hope this doesn't come to define everything about the band from here on out. They have so many amazing songs about such a wide variety of topics and issues...I don't want them to become one note.

Regardless, it's the music that ultimately matters and I am sure the new album will be amazing like all the others.
01:38 PM on 07/26/12
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
Love this.
01:44 PM on 07/26/12
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.
i want a new album.
02:00 PM on 07/26/12
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Good read and even better to hear how Laura's doing, but I definitely want to hear more about the new record. I feel like the same details I read in each article about Laura are blurring together and, as great as it is that she's spreading awareness about gender dysphoria, I'm anxious to hear how the record's coming together and what direction Against Me! is going in.
02:04 PM on 07/26/12
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
Like the writer of the article, I'm fascinated by her wife. That kind of dedication is just hard to find anywhere.
02:08 PM on 07/26/12
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
I liked the bit about the internet coming along and confirming everything for her. Great example of the good that the internet has brought to the world.
02:19 PM on 07/26/12
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
cool read
02:46 PM on 07/26/12
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
Really good read. It's been mentioned but I find the wife in this situation to be really interesting. The fact she's standing by Laura shows her level of love, I just wonder how she will cope when everything is completed, operation wise.
Also good to see a paper like The Guardian spreading a great band to people who might not hear about it otherwise. It really annoys me how Frank Ocean got such massive press over here for his statement, yet the same places neglected to mention this situation.
02:52 PM on 07/26/12
TheZeroKid
I'm Not Holden Caulfield
User Info.
Wow, she doesn't look half bad in that picture. I guess the transition is going well.
03:01 PM on 07/26/12
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
Really good read. It's been mentioned but I find the wife in this situation to be really interesting. The fact she's standing by Laura shows her level of love, I just wonder how she will cope when everything is completed, operation wise.
Also good to see a paper like The Guardian spreading a great band to people who might not hear about it otherwise. It really annoys me how Frank Ocean got such massive press over here for his statement, yet the same places neglected to mention this situation.
Frank Ocean got soo much press everywhere. Since then he's been tweeting stuff that's getting shared alllll over fb and other sites.

I wonder if the new album will have some off the balls-to-the-wall that old AM had... especially if it's been recorded when Laura is more at peace with herself.
03:01 PM on 07/26/12
gloriousmuse
you've left me speechless
User Info.
"Grace doesn't look like a woman, but then she only began taking hormones a month ago."

I had to roll my eyes at this.
04:19 PM on 07/26/12
YOUAREtehSCENE
User Info.
will the new record have a high pitched voice, or a low pitched voice?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos