AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Foreign Home - 07.14.12

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (07/30/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Foreign Home

Foreign Home comes from the line "Tonight with a constant buzz staring at the ocean crashing on all the rocks below in this foreign home" from the Minus the Bear song "Drilling."

2. How did this band get started?

Daniel, our drummer, and I bonded my first week at a new middle school over a picture in our science book of a rabbit being chased by a fox. When I began playing guitar a couple years later Daniel and I began a music relationship that has lasted a decade. Our guitarist, Tobie, started playing with us first as the bassist in a band we were in in 2005. Our bassist, Chris, started playing with the three of us in 2007, but we didn't begin the Foreign Home thing until the last year.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
We are constantly seeking new music but some bands that seem to stay on our collective playlist are The Smiths, Phoenix, Mew, Minus the Bear, Ra Ra Riot, Chapel Club, Local Natives, Joy Division, Police... and many more.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Pink Floyd... who wouldn't love a laser light shows every night?

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Anything put cheap pizza.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We are an indie band in the most classic sense, complete with jangly, effect-laden guitars, dancing bass lines, driving drumbeats, and brooding lyrics. Yet, it is not uncommon for us to experiment with time changes, washed out shoegazing guitar solos, or anthemic group sing-alongs.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Daryl "Moose" Johnston circa 1993

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Daryl "Moose" Johnston circa 1993

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I would narrow the gap between the top and bottom earners in music.

10. Memorable tour experience?
As I rack my brain for a witty or funny tour experience every hilarious story that comes to mind is a "you had to be there" kind of moment. We get weird after a few days in the van.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is a great source for discovering new music. I always find something here that I may have missed otherwise.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
We have a new song called "Fall In, Fall Out" that's 2 minutes and 10 seconds of reverb drenched energy. I always enjoy playing it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Eastsound, WA, on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands. I went there and got married on a cliff overlooking the Puget Sound in an Indian burial ground.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
1970s Prog rock like Yes, Rush, Kansas, King Crimson... Also classic pop like the Beatles and Beach Boys.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd really like to have the ability to recall knowledge like the main character in Limitless so I could learn languages, instruments, master the stock market, etc. with very little effort.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
I do a ridiculous looking vocal warm up that if anyone ever sees me doing they'll think I'm on meth.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That every song I write is inspired by Daryl "Moose" Johnston circa 1993, in one way or another. Also, when we aren't touring we all have day jobs. Tobie is a stay at home dad and runs a design company called Roe Creative, Chris works at Whole Foods, Daniel is a parts/service guy for a locally owned Land Rover repair shop, and I work for a nonprofit doing youth leadership and outdoor activities with underserved and "at-risk" youth.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
In general, radio is pretty stagnant. It seems like American rock radio in particular hasn't added any new artists in 10 years. Payola seems to be commonly accepted. I do think college radio is a bright spot. I'm also an NPR fan boy. All that being said, in our local scene the rock stations have been great to us, having us on for interviews and live sets and putting our music into rotation. So I guess I can't complain too much.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Playing guitar, watching movies, cooking out, tending my edible and flower garden, and reading ap.net.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm very good at strange, useless athletic activities like dodge-ball, noodle ball, kick ball, etc.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums