AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Walk The Moon - Walk The Moon Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.08
Musicianship 9.17
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.67
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.33
Average: 86%

Walk The Moon - Walk The Moon

Reviewed by: Anthony Sorendino (08/01/12)
Walk The Moon - Walk The Moon
Record Label: RCA
Release Date: June 19th, 2012

A few weeks ago I found myself in Rocky Mountain National Park, attempting to capture the most beautiful place I had ever seen with my new Canon T3i. My brother, two friends and I had just made our first big trip out west, and we were loving it. As we drove up the winding dirt road of Long's Peak, it was just us, a granite Malibu rental, a gang of elk, and one elusive moose. We had no cell reception, and no AM/FM signal to keep us company while we drove deeper into the wilderness. It was lucky for us, however, because we were spoiled with the satellite radio that came standard with the car. As Alt Nation poured from the speakers, I hung out the window with my camera's viewfinder glued to my eye, taking in a seemingly painted landscape. That was when I heard "Anna Sun" for the first time, the rousing flagship track off Walk the Moon's eponymous second album. How fitting it was when I heard the words: "We got no money but we got heart, we're gonna rattle this ghost town..." when just later that day we were driving through downtown Golden, the site of the Colorado Gold Rush.

I was saddened when I had to return to my unsightly home in southeastern Pennsylvania, leaving behind that cool mountain air. I was a busted Fifty-Niner returning home, but I wasn't exactly empty handed. Besides the novelty t-shirt I had picked up from our rafting expedition, and the 1000+ photos I had snapped, one more thing seemed to come with me: "Anna Sun" was stuck in my head.

This brings us to my discovery of this eleven track, forty-four minute gold mine. It's been praised as a great summer album, and I must agree. It's loaded with sharp hooks, and smooth synth riffs, but they don't overemphasize the electronic bits; they're still a rock band at the core.

At first, I noticed that vocalist Nicholas Petricca sounds strikingly similar to Young the Giant's Sameer Gadhia (not a negative comparison in the slightest), which is interesting considering both bands will be touring together this fall. It wasn't until I came across WTM's collaboration with the PS22 chorus that I realized: this guy can sing. His tremendous range is highlighted in the stirring "Next In Line," in "I Can Lift A Car," and most notably in the chorus of the funky "Shiver Shiver." Petricca isn't left alone on stage, however, because guitarist Eli Maiman and bassist Kevin Ray both provide key vocal support throughout.

The album is devoid of musical debris, but this might be because six tracks were already featured on their self-released 2010 full length debut, I Want! I Want!. This is no cause for concern, though, because recording quality has increased significantly. The album's openers, "Quesadilla" and "Lisa Baby," are far cleaner than their 2010 counterparts, while newcomers "Next In Line" and "Tightrope" are great additions to the WTM arsenal. "Next In Line" is an instant favorite that will appeal to anyone who has ever taken a road trip with a loved one: "When the city shines like the sun at night... won't you stay shotgun 'til the day I die."

"Iscariot" is a humbling blindsider. Following "Shiver Shiver" it becomes instantly clear why the transitional instrumental "Lions" was put into place. "Iscariot" shines light on another side of WTM that I never saw coming. I stopped dead while listening to this track and thought, "Alright, alright... these guys really know what they're doing." Then I stopped again... this time without words. The echoing final minute and a half of this song is a high point of the whole record that ran shivers up my spine.

The album's closer "I Can Lift A Car" is one of the catchiest songs I've heard all summer. It doesn't sacrifice content for the sake of being catchy, setting it's place as the most honest song on the album. Petricca even said himself that it's his favorite to perform live. It showcases a distinct lyric set: "So very nice, my grandpa's leather jacket and goggles / well I met someone who wears your glasses."

In the end, I discovered that there's something more to Walk the Moon than meets the eye. It was important for me not be dissuaded by the recycled songs; they deserved to get the all-star treatment of a professional studio. I'm excited to hear some brand new material from them in the future.

The collaborations I mentioned with the renowned PS22 chorus are simply heartwarming. Check out the one for "I Can Lift A Car" here. I particularly like the statement Eli Maiman makes towards the end: "In the schedules that we keep these days, it's really, really busy, and it's easy to lose track of why we're doing this and why we play music for a living. And it's not about money and it's not about playing on big stages or anything, it's about what happened in this room today and connecting with other human beings and experiencing the power of music..."

Recommended If You LikeYoung the Giant, Grouplove, Ra Ra Riot, fun., The All-American Rejects, Neon Trees, Passion Pit, Talking Heads, Patrick Stump

Walk the Moon has created homegrown videos for 7 of the songs on the album. "Anna Sun" & "Lisa Baby" both have an official music video, while "Fixin'" has a lyric music video. You can view all of these on YouTube by clicking on each respective track:

Tracklisting1. Quesadilla
2. Lisa Baby
3. Next In Line
4. Anna Sun
5. Tightrope
6. Jenny
7. Shiver Shiver
8. Lions
9. Iscariot
10. Fixin'
11. I Can Lift A Car

Additional InformationWalk the Moon is:
Eli Maiman (guitar, vocals)
Sean Waugaman (drums, vocals)
Kevin Ray (bass, vocals)
Nicholas Petricca (vocals, keys, synth)

Official Website
Facebook
Twitter
Spotify
iTunes
PS22 Collabs: I Can Lift A Car, Anna Sun, Tightrope, Hey Jude (Beatles cover)

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
06:49 AM on 08/05/12
SILYW
Canadian Mall Marriage 6000
User Info.
The singles remind me of 'Tourist History' era Two Door Cinema Club, I must admit I'm impressed with what I've heard so far. Your review has convinced me to check this out.
07:01 PM on 04/27/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I just heard about this band. Really like this album. Perfect indie pop. RIYL are all over the place but so true. Honestly as much praise as the last fun. album got I very much prefer indie pop like this. Jukebox The Ghost, Clap Your Hands and Say Yes, The Narrative, and Imagine Dragons have been on heavy rotation recently for me and this is easily getting added along with the new Front Bottoms album when it drops.
07:20 AM on 05/02/13
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
I just heard about this band. Really like this album. Perfect indie pop. RIYL are all over the place but so true. Honestly as much praise as the last fun. album got I very much prefer indie pop like this. Jukebox The Ghost, Clap Your Hands and Say Yes, The Narrative, and Imagine Dragons have been on heavy rotation recently for me and this is easily getting added along with the new Front Bottoms album when it drops.
I'll have to check out those bands (I've only listened to The Narrative and Imagine Dragons). You might like my Imagine Dragons reviews.
08:34 AM on 05/02/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Jukebox The Ghost is fantastic and CYHASY is like the killers with an indie pop sound.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS