Password

Album Review

Glass Cloud - The Royal Thousand Album Cover

Glass Cloud - The Royal Thousand

Reviewed by
Glass CloudThe Royal Thousand
Release Date: July 10, 2012
Record Label: Equal Vision
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The last three years have featured some turbulent moments for vocalist Jerry Roush. After parting ways with his original band Sky Eats Airplane over "creative differences" in 2009, he was later asked to fill in on vox for metalcore band Of Mice & Men, while their vocalist Austin Carlile dealt with health issues. Of Mice & Men ran into conflicts of their own with Carlile and asked Roush in late 2010 to be their permanent vocalist. Naturally, this only lasted a few months, as Of Mice & Men blindsided Roush with the news of their reunion with Carlile. But what seemed like a then-shady move ended up being the best thing to happen to Roush. After toiling for a few months as the fill-in vocalist for the band American Me during their tour in Japan, Roush hooked up with Josh Travis, guitarist of metal act The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, and formed Glass Cloud. Equal Vision Records was quick to snatch up Glass Cloud and a few months later are now releasing their colossal debut album, The Royal Thousand, to the masses.

Instead of having to be compared to and live in Carlile's shadow, Roush gets to leave his own mark and unleash his vicious howl against the progressive metal of Travis and company. Opening track “White Flag” was the first song that bassist Travis Sykes wrote lyrics to and it starts The Royal Thousand on the right foot. It begins with a warning siren before erupting into crushing guitar chords and Roush's urgent bellow of “Just raise the white flag!” Immediately following is the abrasive “If He Dies, He Dies,” as dissonant chords mesh with Roush's melody into a truly devastating song. Roush really surrounded his voice with uber-talented musicians, as Sykes, Travis, and drummer Chad Hasty are extremely skilled at their crafts, as Glass Cloud's compositions are both complex and varied throughout – you won't hear the same thing twice.

Glass Cloud also does a fine job of balancing heaviness with ambiance, as a handful of tracks feature Roush's crooning backed by intricate noodles and noises (peep “Falling In Style,” “Memorandum,” and “She Is Well and Nothing Can Be Ill”). It's reminiscent of early-00 Incubus and Deftones. It's also sets up each breakdown splendidly, as each transition occurs with break-neck speed, leaving listeners in a tizzy. Album standout “Ivy & Wine” drops the hammer throughout. The track unleashes the kind of destruction the Mayans have been predicting for thousands of years.

The Royal Thousand is really everything you'd expect out of a collaboration of Sky Eats Airplane and The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (and the name Glass Cloud sounds a lot cleaner than Sky Eats Tony Danza). It's a very solid debut album for the quartet, as only a few missteps show up (the production is muddled in segments and a few tracks linger on for just a bit too long). At the end of the day, fans of both bands will be pleased with The Royal Thousand. It's about time Jerry Roush found himself in the right situation at the right time, here's hoping he takes full advantage of it with Glass Cloud.

6.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
03:28 PM on 08/02/12
valvatorez
I am the bear
User Info.
I'm glad to hear about this. I was a big fan of Sky Eats Airplane's self titled and excited for their next outing before learning that Roush was no longer a part of them. It's good to see he finally has his own band, although I still like the sound of Sky Eats Airplane better, and it seems like that band has all but broken up now.
04:29 AM on 08/03/12
Zev Frazer
Zev Frazer
User Info.
This album isn't really bad. It's just terribly ok.
10:04 PM on 08/03/12
valvatorez
I am the bear
User Info.
This album isn't really bad. It's just terribly ok.

I feel the same way. For me it's more that the potential from including electronica influences in Sky Eats Airplane have been stripped away in favor of very long connected breakdowns that just seem to drone on, and I just can't stay connected with them. Most of the songs just seem like one minute of mixed vocals and clean chorus, followed by three minutes of an extended breakdown, with the last 30 seconds going to the clean chorus again. I feel it's a solid first release, but hopefully future releases will be better. They certainly still have potential.
08:19 AM on 08/04/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I would've rated it ~90%, I think it's a superb debut. Very fresh feeling. The only issue I really have with it is the mastering/mixing. Apparently they didn't like the first version (as seen on the first iTunes releases of Counting Sheep and White Flag) which absolutely boggles my mind.....these new versions lack that oomph and can sound gargled at times.
08:48 AM on 08/04/12
galkain
NothingOriginal.net
User Info.
I would've rated it ~90%, I think it's a superb debut. Very fresh feeling. The only issue I really have with it is the mastering/mixing. Apparently they didn't like the first version (as seen on the first iTunes releases of Counting Sheep and White Flag) which absolutely boggles my mind.....these new versions lack that oomph and can sound gargled at times.
Completely agree with this. Everything sounds like it has that extra push and it's nice to hear some new metalcore that isn't based around the next breakdown.
11:44 AM on 08/04/12
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
This album is so meh. Nothing stood out at all.
12:12 PM on 08/04/12
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
Josh Travis makes this band, always love his riffs.

If He Dies, He Dies and Ivy & Wine are heavy as fuck!
02:41 PM on 08/04/12
Trashcore
lower lifes
User Info.
I feel like a lot of the people that bash this album either 1)it isn't for them or 2)they don't get it. The guitar and drum work on this album is phenomenal. If you go in just listening to roush you're going to be disapointed. This album is a showcase of each individual musician, and if you go into it like that it shines so much. The guitar work is absolutely insane, and I can't wait to see Travis annihilate tomorrow at scream it like you mean it.
08:07 PM on 08/04/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
I feel like a lot of the people that bash this album either 1)it isn't for them or 2)they don't get it. The guitar and drum work on this album is phenomenal. If you go in just listening to roush you're going to be disapointed. This album is a showcase of each individual musician, and if you go into it like that it shines so much. The guitar work is absolutely insane, and I can't wait to see Travis annihilate tomorrow at scream it like you mean it.
'Isn't for them' and 'they don't get it' are terrible excuses for people to use to relegate negative opinions.
09:13 PM on 08/04/12
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
'Isn't for them' and 'they don't get it' are terrible excuses for people to use to relegate negative opinions.

Yes they are. But fans of Roush are going into this album expecting the next SEA and when it's not what they wanted, they say it sucks.
02:49 AM on 08/05/12
more heart
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
I feel the same way. For me it's more that the potential from including electronica influences in Sky Eats Airplane have been stripped away in favor of very long connected breakdowns that just seem to drone on, and I just can't stay connected with them. Most of the songs just seem like one minute of mixed vocals and clean chorus, followed by three minutes of an extended breakdown, with the last 30 seconds going to the clean chorus again. I feel it's a solid first release, but hopefully future releases will be better. They certainly still have potential.
There's really no need to compare this to Sky Eats Airplane. These are two completely separate projects. As such, Glass Cloud wasn't supposed to be some sort of extension of Sky Eats Airplane. Besides, SEA wasn't even really Roush's band to being with.
05:19 PM on 08/05/12
valvatorez
I am the bear
User Info.
There's really no need to compare this to Sky Eats Airplane. These are two completely separate projects. As such, Glass Cloud wasn't supposed to be some sort of extension of Sky Eats Airplane. Besides, SEA wasn't even really Roush's band to being with.

I understand that, it was just that SEA was the only time I even heard Roush or SEA, and since I naturally associate a groups identity to vocals before distinct sound (I know I shouldn't) it's just very strange to listen to the same vocalist in a separate project, and I can't help but compare. I have the same problem with Chiodos and Owens, Lydia post-Illuminate, and Emery's We Do What We Want. I, in no way, think it's bad; it's just odd after getting engrossed into something different. You can tell it wasn't Roush's by how he joined and was let go.
10:39 AM on 08/06/12
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
I don't care how complex the guitar work is...the music is just boring. Their are plenty of bands out there that are just as complex that make their music a lot more interesting / catchy as this.
11:03 AM on 08/06/12
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
production is so terrible

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT